House Price Crash Forum

Britain And Iceland And The Parable Of The Unforgiving Servant

HOLA441

The whole situation between Britain and Iceland reminds me of one of Jesus' parables: the parable of the King and the unforgiving servant. Brown has been browbeating Iceland for not meeting its obligations, strutting his stuff like he - and the UK - really is something by comparison. But it is looking increasingly likely the UK itself will not be able to meets its obligations. So much for looking down our noses as Iceland. We are in the same position they are - only more so.

We are in a whole lot more debt than they are, yet we treat them like terrorists and demand our money back from them.

Heaven help us when we run to the IMF for aid or the international community (the king in this parable) ask for their money back and we don't have it.

Will they show us the same kind of "mercy" we have shown to Iceland?

It looks to me like we deserve everything we get.

The Servant Who Had No Mercy (Matt 18)

23 "The kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to collect all the money his servants owed him.

24 As the king began to do it, a man who owed him millions of dollars was brought to him.

25 The man was not able to pay. So his master gave an order. The man, his wife, his children, and all he owned had to be sold to pay back what he owed.

26 "The servant fell on his knees in front of him. 'Give me time,' he begged. 'I'll pay everything back.'

27 "His master felt sorry for him. He forgave him what he owed and let him go.

28 "But then that servant went out and found one of the other servants who owed him a few dollars. He grabbed him and began to choke him. 'Pay back what you owe me!' he said.

29 "The other servant fell on his knees. 'Give me time,' he begged him. 'I'll pay you back.'

30 "But the first servant refused. Instead, he went and had the man thrown into prison. The man would be held there until he could pay back what he owed. 31 The other servants saw what had happened. It troubled them greatly. They went and told their master everything that had happened.

32 "Then the master called the first servant in. 'You evil servant,' he said. 'I forgave all that you owed me because you begged me to.

33 Shouldn't you have had mercy on the other servant just as I had mercy on you?' 34 In anger his master turned him over to the jailers. He would be punished until he paid back everything he owed.

35 "This is how my Father in heaven will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart."

Edited by waitingscot