House Price Crash Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. You're probably right. I gave up newspapers and most MSM years ago.
  3. There have actually been a few multi decadal studies of insect numbers by dedicated scientists doing it for science's sake. Such dull boring research is showing its value now.
  4. People who overpay vastly for broadband, you try explaining to them they they don't need 350mb to watch Netflix, 10mb would do, and they respond 'but I watch a lot of netflix'. Seriously, Jesus wept.
  5. Lordy no thinking required when you’ve been told ! just pick up a newsrag over the last couple of decades.
  6. As I understand it - you sign up with a dodgy financial adviser who sets up a company in the Isle Of Man or similar. You get set up as a director of this company. As the company is overseas, and you reckon you are a contractor and not an employee, you invoice your 'employer' and they send your gross pay to the company in the IOM. From this IOM company you pay yourself the minimum UK wages to guarantee your NI stamp for the state pension. The hook is that, instead of paying yourself the rest of the money you earned as taxable wages, you produce an agreement stating that the company is giving you that money as a loan. The loan has no agreed repayment date. Of course you have just taken your wages as a pretend loan with no intention of repaying the loan.... But your accounts don't show a taxable position as the loan isn't income you pay tax on, and it has reduced the profit in your offshore company to nil. Genuinely these people thought they could build up loans they would never have to repay without a thought to how they would build up over time, and that HMRC would never be able to tax their 'offshore company'. HMRC sat it out for a while waiting to see if the loans were ever repaid, then they won a landmark case against Rangers Football club. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/rangers-paid-50m-loans-stars-10035849.amp Now they are going aggressively for people who used these schemes telling them to reply the loan and then draw the wages as taxable income, or to admit the loan was actually wages and pay back taxes and fines. Most IOM umbrella companies were run by firms who have now gone bust. I saw an interesting thread on contractor UK last year, 'who is luckiest?' - the contractor who can't repay his loan because the people running it have disappeared (literally) or the contractor whose offshore company is still being run,but being leaned on by HMRC and who now faces sending back many years 'loans' to the IOM to pretend he is repaying them in the hope they are honest and will send him back his wages correctly taxed. There is an entire forum discussing this stuff here https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/hmrc-scheme-enquiries/
  7. I don't know yet, but it's probably going to be a chunky percentage. I've been paying into pension schemes since I was sixteen (grateful that the company I started an apprenticeship with drummed home the importance of starting one early) but they might well be relatively small incomes. Lots of unknowns, what's the economy going to look like in 25 years time? the interest rate? state of the state pension? Gov policy?
  8. I can only assume, Wayward, that you've compared cash investing to buying assets (of any type) and come up short. Which isn't what I said at all.
  9. What sort of idiot would leave £375k with the pension company in return for £9k a year at aged 65? You'd have to live to at least 106 just to get your capital back - and how much of a return would the pension company of made on that declining pot over 40 odd years?
  10. I wonder. I haven't a clue what will happen. You may be right because, as people continually forget, the WA is just about leaving; the important bit is the long term relationship which is up for grabs.
  11. Today
  12. The WA in one form or another will get passed - it just depends on how much damage you want to do in the meantime. We would have left already, it wasn't for the ERG and alikes..
  13. British Steel is screwed by the Brexit extension - it has to pay for carbon emissions but it last the carbon emissions credits it got from the EU.....
  14. The problem is that there is also a significant minority who then think "well, we'll fall out on WTO terms, then they'll come crawling back"...that isn't thinking..
  15. What I find puzzling is that Remainers don't have to think because they voted for the status quo and you don't really have to think about that. Leavers do have to think. Now some may be mistaken and don't think very well but at least they've had to think about the issues to say they don't want the EU. Very few will say " I just don't like it"; they give reasons. Now those reasons may be wrong but at least they've had to think. The "thick" and "uneducated" meme is of course just a gratuitous insult.
  16. Well that sounds like a pretty needy and insecure gang you obey lol! Have you ever considered independent thought ?
  17. Hard to know. We are not in Kansas anymore. Banks n BSes were flush with TFL and scam money, which theyve failed to lend prudently. Their mortgages books are shrinking, as people pay them off and fewer people can afford to take out mortgages.
  18. Actually that's not a bad idea. The result of the referendum would be overwhelmingly Leave and that would put the matter to bed finally.
  19. As I've said before the Building Societies like Nationwide infuriate me lending into BTL.....NW has done everything it could to protect it's mutual status and then gone right on and behaved like a "for profit" bank...contributing to jacking up prices, forcing potential OO's into perpetual rentals or essentially contributed to OO's taking on higher debt loads...... The challenger bank Metro has been the surprise **** up what's lurking under NW's bonnet ? And btw Metro Bank with having a clean slate for all their systems and processes vs the legacy systems that the others have to grapple with should have had a clear business advantage by being cleaner and leaner therefore with less cost overheads......seems they didn't employ the right people who knew what they were doing and they not only squandered that adavantage they have turned it into a negative....good going jerks....talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory
  20. The Brexits on offer already ‘overthrow’ the vote and the only agreed way to overthrow a vote is through democracy - it happens every election.
  21. One year to the halving! golden 12 months ahead. economy looks to be extremely slowly rolling into a recession also, so plenty of big meaty lumps of QE and heavy duty monetary policy. all that freshly printed money will be seeking a rising asset class.
  22. http://www.lse.co.uk/FinanceNews.asp?code=6nkn5ybb&headline=Britains_Tesco_to_stop_mortgage_lending_at_bank_unit Which means that pure mortgage banks, like Nationwide, must be bleeding cash or lending themselves bust. If theres no money in mortgages - and it looks like revenue and margins are very low- then there's going to be little mortgage lending going forward.
  1. Load more activity
  • 193 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?

• down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.