House Price Crash Forum

Preconceptions Influence Our Thoughts And Actions

Methinkshe

For many years I have been logging just how much people are influenced by preconceptions ingrained by whom or what or garnered from who knows where?

It is evident in people such as Kirstie Allsopp that her preconceptions re the property market being "as safe as houses" will guide her beliefs probably until the day she dies.

We all have preconceptions that get so lodged in our neural networks/memories/brains that they become almost unassailable.

None of us is immune.

Therefore, I'd be interested to test the factuality of just one preconception that I have seen evidenced by quite a few.

Could anyone interested answer the following question?

In Africa, do most women desire TO GIVE BIRTH TO a male or female child?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For many years I have been logging just how much people are influenced by preconceptions ingrained by whom or what or garnered from who knows where?

It is evident in people such as Kirstie Allsopp that her preconceptions re the property market being "as safe as houses" will guide her beliefs probably until the day she dies.

We all have preconceptions that get so lodged in our neural networks/memories/brains that they become almost unassailable.

None of us is immune.

Therefore, I'd be interested to test the factuality of just one preconception that I have seen evidenced by quite a few.

Could anyone interested answer the following question?

In Africa, do most women desire a male or female child?

No idea, but in traditional societies the male child is more desired than the female.

I would have said a MALE, because most of Africa being agricultural, males are of more value to a family because of the physical strength they offer to cultivate land.

Then my preconceptions stepped in again, saying that most of any work in rural Africa seems to be actually done by the women.

I'm going to finally plump for MALE, as tradition seems to win out over reason in many cultural practices in Africa. Most societies are traditionally patriarchal.

I've seen it as a corollary of Murphy's law:

"Challenge your assumptions, before they challenge you".

Murphy's law was a vital part of any engineering syllabus. Never formally taught, but often quoted. I bet the

economists and quants were never educated in the subtleties of Murphy's law.

1. Whatever can go wrong, will.

2. If you predict only one outcome from a system's present state, then you have done your calculations incorrectly.

3. In the case of multiple outcomes, the system will always tend towards the most damaging.

4. If there is any feedback path in the system, it has the potential to oscillate. If there are multiple feedbacks, it has the potential to be chaotic. (We used to say, if it doesn't oscle now, it will oscillator. Boomm-boomm. I'll get me coat!).

Africans? I dunno. Can't say I presume anything about their preferences. Why was it a binary question? Does the OP work in PR?

Then guess, because more than likely even your guesses are based on subconscious preconceptions.

Well I can't think of (or rather have never been told about) a culture that values girls over boys so using that information i'd guess they were no different to any one else and *if* they had a preference then it would be the same as the other cultures i've been told about.

So boy.

I bet a Muslim mother would like a boy, and any other would like a boy too.

then again, many cultures have a cash value on their girls, so having girls = cows in the pen,while boys just play and dance their lives away.

but, boys have many wives, so they could be costly.

Girls then is my preconceptual answer.

Okay, more replies still needed.

Actually, it would be good to have on board the forum's arch pre-conceptualist - Steve Cook- aka Israealis are bad, Palestinians are good.

But I daresay he won't show his face on this thread since he has already dismissed me as lacking intellect, guilty of hypocrisy, and weasel-worded.

So, I'll just ask for a few more answers to my question from anyone interested enough to pursue this mini experiment with me, if you would be so kind....

Okay, more replies still needed.

Actually, it would be good to have on board the forum's arch pre-conceptualist - Steve Cook- aka Israealis are bad, Palestinians are good.

But I daresay he won't show his face on this thread since he has already dismissed me as lacking intellect, guilty of hypocrisy, and weasel-worded.

So, I'll just ask for a few more answers to my question from anyone interested enough to pursue this mini experiment with me, if you would be so kind....

I like this thread.

Archived