House Price Crash Forum

Chippenham

qazwas1

HOLA441
HOLA442
My mate and his family brought there in 2004, and over a Christmas meal he reckons that the selling price currently on his 'executive' estate is back to more or less the same level as when he brought it. (4 bed, detached).

Do you know which estate your mate lives in ? Please please more info ... Thanks

HOLA443
HOLA444
My mate and his family brought there in 2004, and over a Christmas meal he reckons that the selling price currently on his 'executive' estate is back to more or less the same level as when he brought it. (4 bed, detached).

Halifax out today saying SOLD prices back at August 2004 prices .......reality is it's probably worse :)

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Sounds like it might be Cepen Park - come down the A350, hang a right at the Morrisons roundabout and you run right alongside it.

It looks like a massive prison block. Can't imagine why anyone would want to live there!

HOLA449
It looks like a massive prison block. Can't imagine why anyone would want to live there!

Well I shall be having a look around Chippenham in March ,from what I heard its not a bad place to live .I suppose its a new estate , and houses are built quiet near each other .However having 2 young children and being at home most of the day on my own I'd rather have people close by. Also I suppose its a matter of opinion. Anyone knows what Calne is like?

HOLA4410

Well I shall be having a look around Chippenham in March ,from what I heard its not a bad place to live .I suppose its a new estate , and houses are built quiet near each other .However having 2 young children and being at home most of the day on my own I'd rather have people close by. Also I suppose its a matter of opinion. Anyone knows what Calne is like?

HOLA4411

To each their own, but I wouldn't choose Chippenham (not speaking just from appearance, I did live there in the 80s when it had a rough nightclub called Golddiggers and the estates were smaller). It's probably not terrible, just a classic UK chav pavement-pizza town with a lot of roundabouts.

There used to be some nice villages round there which actually functioned as communities, not sure about now, they may all be reduced to NIMBY dormitories.

HOLA4412

Calne is one of the most deprived boroughs in Europe - it's been terribly depressed since the biggest local employer, the pork pie factory (yes, really) closed down some years ago. There have been some fairly abortive attempts at gentrification but there's still an awful lot of poverty and pound shops.

HOLA4413

The reason I say 'prison block' is when you go out in the garden, all you see to the left, right and straight ahead is brickwork! Don't forget the electricity pylon in your garden.

HOLA4414
To each their own, but I wouldn't choose Chippenham (not speaking just from appearance, I did live there in the 80s when it had a rough nightclub called Golddiggers and the estates were smaller). It's probably not terrible, just a classic UK chav pavement-pizza town with a lot of roundabouts.

There used to be some nice villages round there which actually functioned as communities, not sure about now, they may all be reduced to NIMBY dormitories.

I think you have just described Bracknell in Berkshire.

HOLA4415
I think you have just described Bracknell in Berkshire.

I love this forum. Always cheers me up. I come from Basingstoke just down the road from Bracknell and i know exactly what you mean. oh sorry its now known Amazingstoke !!!! MMMMMMMMMMMMM

HOLA4416
I love this forum. Always cheers me up. I come from Basingstoke just down the road from Bracknell and i know exactly what you mean. oh sorry its now known Amazingstoke !!!! MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Yes, Amazingstroke (lol) is similar. Used to visit alot in the 80s to go shopping. The shops were far more interesting than Bracknell. It was so easy to park - straight off the M3 onto a ring road and then drive straight into a multi-storey. We used to have lunch in the Wimpy bar or bought a pie from the pie shop just above the market. They were fantastic. Is it still there?

HOLA4417

From 'Tastingstars'

"Sounds like it might be Cepen Park - come down the A350, hang a right at the Morrisons roundabout and you run right alongside it."

True, could also be Cepen Park South which is just as nondescript about a kilometre further along the road.

I hope that helps as well

Stan

HOLA4418
<snip>

The nice villages still exist but the place has become a magnet for second-homers. Biddestone, Castle Combe, Ford, the best parts of Corsham etc are all out of reach of locals now....if they ever were. It's a shame really.

HOLA4419
Yes, Amazingstroke (lol) is similar. Used to visit alot in the 80s to go shopping. The shops were far more interesting than Bracknell. It was so easy to park - straight off the M3 onto a ring road and then drive straight into a multi-storey. We used to have lunch in the Wimpy bar or bought a pie from the pie shop just above the market. They were fantastic. Is it still there?

I have been living in Malta for these last 5 years and last time i visited B'STOKE they were doing up the town centre. I dont think wimpy is there anymore .They have got a very modern type shopping centre with quiet a few good coffee shops and restaurants. Well thats what my sister in law said cause i havent been since they finished the work, it took them around 2 years .

HOLA4420
I have been living in Malta for these last 5 years and last time i visited B'STOKE they were doing up the town centre. I dont think wimpy is there anymore .They have got a very modern type shopping centre with quiet a few good coffee shops and restaurants. Well thats what my sister in law said cause i havent been since they finished the work, it took them around 2 years .

I fear that the town will not be immune to the downturn.

Truro, where I live, has far too many coffee shops (2 Costas, a Starbucks and a Cafe Nero). That doesn't include the smaller, independent ones and there are tons of them. We also have an M & S, which is so huge it is half the size of the city itself. Shame the average Cornish wage is £15k!

What is it like living in Malta? I went there back in 1998. There was a lot of development going on.

HOLA4421
I fear that the town will not be immune to the downturn.

Truro, where I live, has far too many coffee shops (2 Costas, a Starbucks and a Cafe Nero). That doesn't include the smaller, independent ones and there are tons of them. We also have an M & S, which is so huge it is half the size of the city itself. Shame the average Cornish wage is £15k!

What is it like living in Malta? I went there back in 1998. There was a lot of development going on.

Living in Malta is....ok, I couldn' t live here permanantly. We have been here 4 years and we have had enough now . I find it too small , potholes everywhere , and very dusty. As the development you mentioned it was still going on till last November . Alot of old houses have been knocked down and lots of flats have been built instead. There's hardly no fields left especially in the southern part of the island. Yes there was a housing boom here as well and as i 've just said lots of blocks of flats everywhere and most of them are empty. The credit crunch is just hitting here. Amazingstoke , yes youre right it will suffer as well , I remember last recession you could get a 4 bed det for around 100k or even less if you had cash.

Hope I haven't put anyone off visiting Malts . For a holiday its quiet nice not very cheap anymore cause since they joined t

he euro its becoming more expensive by the day.

House prices in cornwall are quiet expensive , really shocking actually considering their average wage is so low.

HOLA4422
Living in Malta is....ok, I couldn' t live here permanantly. We have been here 4 years and we have had enough now . I find it too small , potholes everywhere , and very dusty. As the development you mentioned it was still going on till last November . Alot of old houses have been knocked down and lots of flats have been built instead. There's hardly no fields left especially in the southern part of the island. Yes there was a housing boom here as well and as i 've just said lots of blocks of flats everywhere and most of them are empty. The credit crunch is just hitting here. Amazingstoke , yes youre right it will suffer as well , I remember last recession you could get a 4 bed det for around 100k or even less if you had cash.

Hope I haven't put anyone off visiting Malts . For a holiday its quiet nice not very cheap anymore cause since they joined t

he euro its becoming more expensive by the day.

House prices in cornwall are quiet expensive , really shocking actually considering their average wage is so low.

I am quite shocked and disappointed at what you say about Malta. Yes, the roads were terrible. We hired a car and the suspension had gone on it completely. The surrounding countryside was nice and I am dismayed at the thought of horrible apartment blocks springing up in the barren wasteland! Why do they do it? Who wants them? Malta was very cheap in 1998. The food was very good - lots of Italian food and marble! Not being very far away from Sicily might have had some influence there I guess. Valetta was stunning - similar to Venice, but we had the place to ourselves.

I went to Spain in September and a similar thing is happening over there. Flats and abandoned developments everywhere. Apparently, the Spanish only buy new-build, but, due to the downturn, they are no longer interested in buying. Nobody knows what to do with them - they can't even give them away!

I went to Cyprus in 97 and development was rife there too. Developments just out in the sticks in the middle of nowhere - all standing empty. 12 years on, I wonder if they ever sold them? These villas didn't even have swimming pools!! What are you supposed to do on a very hot day - stand in the shower? No facilities for miles. I just don't get it. There is no appeal as far as I am concerned.

I guess the whole of Europe is suffering in the same way. I feel sorry for those that have bought in the last few years. They will probably never be able to find a buyer if they decide they want to return to the UK.

Edited by tplatt

HOLA4423

Returning to chippenham: Seems like its stuck in a stalemate:

Agents seem to be pricing as though its still 2007 - 3 Bed terraces / Semi's are just not selling (5 out of 62 on the market for under 175K are under offer according to rightmove...) Lots of whats for sale has been sat at the same old prices for 6 months plus and is above or at ceiling prices for the road set in late 2007.

Sooner or later (hopefully sooner) chippenham is going to come out of denial and drop like a stone...

HOLA4424

I lived in Chippenham up until 6 months ago.

It is an overpriced shit hole. There is little to do there. Crap cinema, crap pubs, and crap people!

Chav-ville is an understatement.

I now live outside Swindon, and whilst its no less chavy, at least there are things to do there.

HOLA4425