House Price Crash Forum

So The New Design Is Live And (nearly) Working...

paulm

HOLA441

We put the new design up yesterday, and although there are still a few teething issues, we think it's pretty much working now. Please let us know your thoughts on the poll above, and also if you have any specific problems or suggestions, tell about them here: http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=98882

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
You can change it to full screen by pressing the little icon above the boss link in the top right. It should then store your preference in a cookie for any future visits.

And how are people to find that out, if not by happy accident?

Nice idea in principle, but not very userfriendly -- why waste peoples' screen space anyway and make it hard to read HPC when other windows have to open at the same time? I know you can change it, but lots of people will just assume you can't and not bother trying to find out the finer details.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The issues I had with small fonts, extra double-space at the start of posts, and the broken reply to post field all appear to be fixed now, so yep, forum's looking good. :)

Didn't notice the expand width button in the corner before... perhaps changing the button to say "expand layout" next to the arrows might be a little clearer?

Saving the width controls as a user setting rather than a cookie is generally a better way of doing things, but it's not too much of a big deal if it'd be a pain to impliment.

As for the rest of the site, it's looking a lot better, too.

Edited by DementedTuna

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
I don't like the fixed width on the forums.

+2

Sorry, I know you probably loved the new design but I prefer being able to read across all 1920 pixels of my screen. I also don't have any icon to press.

Something that would be useful, is a fast way to view your 5 last posts, identify if anyone has posted a reply and go straight to that part of the thread. Going into 'logged in as D.C' -> options -> view member posts -> 'post preview' is a lot of clicks just to see if someone has responded.

HOLA4416

Getting used to it. The ability to override fixed width is handy.

I remember when the site received it's last upgrade (must be at least 2 years ago). This is more incremental in terms of slickness but I think it could grow on me.

HOLA4417

The resize widget now works with Safari3/OSX10.5.

Now I don't mind the changes - looks ok to me.

But the new logo is not good - too tentative, too much white space, bad letter tracking (that first 'e' looks placed by eye and sits 'late'), the down arrow doesn't join the 'p' well. It looks weak basically and demoey.

You should do a competition to see if anyone here could do it any better.

HOLA4418
We put the new design up yesterday, and although there are still a few teething issues, we think it's pretty much working now. Please let us know your thoughts on the poll above, and also if you have any specific problems or suggestions, tell about them here: http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=98882

Is this change for the sake of it? :unsure:

Sure you have to make some money but I liken it to when a supermarket changes all the stock locations. I stopped shopping at Marks for that very reason some years back <_<

HOLA4419

Hi Son of Taper,

We have added a few cool new features, we like to think so anyway as follows here are a few changes:

- New Google search feature in the top centre that allow you to find content on the site quickly.

- Base rates and index's in the top right now for easy access.

- Easier to join other services and keep up to date with HPC on them e.g. twitter/RSS

- Better support for large and normal size screen resolutions.

- We think a nicer design that presents the info you want better.

- Latest forum topics now on the front page.

- More space for the blog on the front page.

I hope you don't feel like you should stop shopping at HPC :) do you have any idea what it is that makes you feel like that. We are keen to listen to all our members and try and improve the changes we have made and make more good ones.

Brendan

HOLA4420
The resize widget now works with Safari3/OSX10.5.

Now I don't mind the changes - looks ok to me.

But the new logo is not good - too tentative, too much white space, bad letter tracking (that first 'e' looks placed by eye and sits 'late'), the down arrow doesn't join the 'p' well. It looks weak basically and demoey.

You should do a competition to see if anyone here could do it any better.

Seems ok on my Mac under Safari but I do agree there seems too much white. Could up the hpc logo and make the search box smaller.

It's easy enough to find the Base rate and indices if you're looking for them

HOLA4421
Hi Son of Taper,

We have added a few cool new features, we like to think so anyway as follows here are a few changes:

- New Google search feature in the top centre that allow you to find content on the site quickly.

- Base rates and index's in the top right now for easy access.

- Easier to join other services and keep up to date with HPC on them e.g. twitter/RSS

- Better support for large and normal size screen resolutions.

- We think a nicer design that presents the info you want better.

- Latest forum topics now on the front page.

- More space for the blog on the front page.

I hope you don't feel like you should stop shopping at HPC :) do you have any idea what it is that makes you feel like that. We are keen to listen to all our members and try and improve the changes we have made and make more good ones.

Brendan

Ha!

-The google search box is indeed excellent but as I said, imo larger than need be.

-I must admit I don't do RSS or twitter, maybe I should check it out before someone asks me what it means :P

-Better screen resolution can only be a good thing.

-Up the font size of "Houspricecrash.co.uk"

It's a terrific site with a broad spectrum of views, the government could do worse than handing the nation over to many of its members.

A handy spell check link might not go amiss but apart from that, it's great.

Finely no, I shall continue shopping at HPC, it has saved me far more than M&S ever did. :P

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425