• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

1. feels a bit like the site in 2003/4 its like stepping back in time

2. Editing is messed up for me, must be a tag left open somewhere

3. Base rates and data is a good idea, but Im on wide screen the header of the site is too deep so there is less space would rather the base rates were on the same row as the Logo.

5. Whats the point of the google search, waste of space (apart from generating revenue, which shouldn't be a problem if the site is earning 300k PA)

Edited by moosetea

HOLA443
HOLA444
New design is officially up!

There are a few minor issues I'm ironing out right now, especially with the homepage, some stuff just can't be done until the design is live.

Please point out any errors/feedback you have here!

The House price indices are totally wrong aren't they?! I'm sure Nationwide is down to £160Kish isn't it? :blink: Up at £186,044 on my screen...

Bit of a basic error don't you think chaps?

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
New design is officially up!

There are a few minor issues I'm ironing out right now, especially with the homepage, some stuff just can't be done until the design is live.

Please point out any errors/feedback you have here!

Why remove the source of the artices in the 'House Price Crash News' section on front page?

I use this resource daily as I'm sure many do to scour the best news articles. Along with the forum it's one of the best things about the site and must drive a lot of traffic. Even if I don't have time to visit the forum I always have a look at this. A lot of the posts I'm not interested in and now I can't tell if it's Telegraph, Daily Mail, Times etc which completely devalues it for me.

HOLA448
The House price indices are totally wrong aren't they?! I'm sure Nationwide is down to £160Kish isn't it? :blink: Up at £186,044 on my screen...

Bit of a basic error don't you think chaps?

The text seems a bit too small. Smaller font than before. Hurts my eyes to read to posts for any length of time.

Can't alter the size in board-options either.

I suppose could change my display resolution my side, but am happy with it for all other sites.

Size 1 test

Size 2 test

Size 3 test

HOLA449
The text seems a bit too small. Smaller font than before. Hurts my eyes to read to posts for any length of time.

Can't alter the size in board-options either.

I suppose could change my display resolution my side, but am happy with it for all other sites.

Size 1 test

Size 2 test

Size 3 test

ctrl + scroll up.

I don't think font sizes have changed much anyway? On the forum or the actual site?

HOLA4410
ctrl + scroll up.

I don't think font sizes have changed much anyway? On the forum or the actual site?

More on the forum... perhaps because the forum-layout is narrower?

The homepage seems easier to read than the forum posts.

I'm not knocking your work. Seems neater and fresher overall.

HOLA4411

As was pointed out, doesn't work on IE6.

IE6 still has a 25%-30% share of the browser market, especially in large businesses and corporations (where HPC is often read).

Yes, they should have newer browsers. But they don't.

So your stubbornness means that 1/4 of HPCers can no longer visit the site.

Well done!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Why remove the source of the artices in the 'House Price Crash News' section on front page?

I use this resource daily as I'm sure many do to scour the best news articles. Along with the forum it's one of the best things about the site and must drive a lot of traffic. Even if I don't have time to visit the forum I always have a look at this. A lot of the posts I'm not interested in and now I can't tell if it's Telegraph, Daily Mail, Times etc which completely devalues it for me.

Completely agree with this and it is a BIG fault. I don't know how the WWW works commercially, so perhaps the idea is to get MORE clicks off linked items into other sites as people try to find articles from sources they respect and trust (ie, Times, FT, WSJ etc).

However, this is more likely to result in LESS....as I for one can't be arsed to click each link to see if it is from a source that I value, (lets face it: some people do post some very dodgy web links up).

It is a simple fix - so do it. If this change isn't made the cynic in me will say that this is a commercial decision to earn more money (directly or indirectly). I will then just view the news links posted in the main forum and ignore the news blog altogether.

You have lost the IMPACT of the HPC graph.

Thats what got me hooked on my first visit.

Hate the thin font for the main text, not easy on the the eye.

Looks cheap, previous layout had a bit more pro feel.

Good point. I guess it could be a tad more prominent.

Edited by Notlongnow

HOLA4417

Can I be the first to say "too wide"!!!!

Seemingly unlike most, I don't read the forum in full screen. I didn't previously need to use scroll bars to read posts, but it seems that the page width is wider than 800px, meaning I need to scroll right to read all of the insightful posts on here. And the ones from Sibley.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
That's always been there! It's for when you are browsing HPC at work, you can click the boss button if someone looks over your shoulder and it looks like you are doing some real work.

:lol::lol::lol: I wondered why it was so meaningless. Cool!

Agree about the font being slightly too small...

The base rates/indices section could be made to match the height of the banner, saving a bit of space... perhaps by a row rather than column approach.

The HPC graph needs 'lifting' in some way - it is less impactful now.

HOLA4421
Can I be the first to say "too wide"!!!!

Seemingly unlike most, I don't read the forum in full screen. I didn't previously need to use scroll bars to read posts, but it seems that the page width is wider than 800px, meaning I need to scroll right to read all of the insightful posts on here. And the ones from Sibley.

The site was updated for 1024 x 768 screen resolutions as this is a normal standard nowadays and a requirement for all of our websites from now on.

(ironically) try stretching the page using the arrow at the top right and it should fit into your browser.

HOLA4422
The site was updated for 1024 x 768 screen resolutions as this is a normal standard nowadays and a requirement for all of our websites from now on.

(ironically) try stretching the page using the arrow at the top right and it should fit into your browser.

Just did that Dunham thanks. No more narrowness and a big thumbs up from me!

I like it. ;)

HOLA4423

Hi, looks nice to me! Its a good clean layout and i prefer it! Well done.

The nly comment I have to add is the "stretch" button doesn't "stretch" the whole layout on the home page, it only streteches the news blog element. This is IMHO incorrect behavior for the home page and I think correcting it will make it look much cleaner overall when stretched. :rolleyes: This happens on a few of the other pages I have noticed and it does kind of break the layout - not something that should take too long to fix, but worth doing IMHO.

I like the "stats" at the top, its a nice touch. I would suggest you managed to go one further and add the 12 month up and downs. As the site is about HPC it would be good to see them falling as they now are!

Anyway, overall, nice job.

HOLA4424

I object to sites which force me to view in a larger window than necessary.

"1024 x 768 screen resolutions as this is a normal standard nowadays"??? Rubbish. 5 years ago maybe! 1280x is more common now, or widescreen variants which show even more wasted space.

I see no need for 1024 pixels of text when automatic resizing works fine for most other websites. Given the number of comments about wasted space and "too wide" I'm hoping you'll quickly learn the lesson of website design which is "fit to the user's window, don't force them to fit to yours". We don't all use your small monitor!

HOLA4425
Guest sillybear2
Text seems very small and hard to read (to me anyway)

I hate the small fonts, prefer the prior Verdana/Tahoma style instead of the small Arial.

Also, the mix of serif and sans-senrif on some pages is messy.

Just being honest, make it easy to read!