House Price Crash Forum

About That Housing Shortage...

Dylan

We always knew the TRUTH about the supposed shortage.

But the mainstream media somehow ... didn't

Oh, the lies they told us! - and the lack of accountability!

The msm was never going to bite the hand that feeds it.

The BBC should never of had any such hangups... oh wait.

It may help if you actually read the fecking article........

750,000 empty houses.

1,500,000 entries on the housing waiting list.

72,000 people homeless.

Plus all the people not applying for council houses, but still wanting a place of their own, ie, middle class youngsters living with their families, or in Uni dorms, etc etc etc.

So empty houses account for less than half of the current urgent housing needs....... and probably less than a quarter of the total housing needs.

And new construction has almost completely stopped. Sounds like a wave of pent up demand building to me.........

Edited by HAMISH_MCTAVISH

750,000 empty houses.

Speaking as one of those people on the waiting list, I have absolutely no expectation of getting a public-sector house: I just signed up in frustration when I had to leave my previous place so my landlady could sell up.

With the crash, I can now afford to buy on the open market. So I expect I'll be off that list in a year or two. That is, if the bureaucracy is capable of removing me.

I don't know how many of us are in this kind of position, but I should think it's very probably a healthy majority of that 1,500,000.

Speaking as one of those people on the waiting list, I have absolutely no expectation of getting a public-sector house: I just signed up in frustration when I had to leave my previous place so my landlady could sell up.

With the crash, I can now afford to buy on the open market. So I expect I'll be off that list in a year or two. That is, if the bureaucracy is capable of removing me.

I don't know how many of us are in this kind of position, but I should think it's very probably a healthy majority of that 1,500,000.

I greatly doubt that the majority of people on the council house waiting list are those who are financially secure, have good savings, and are fully capable of buying a house, but just got pissy with their landlord.....

And those that are, should be penalised/prosecuted for wasting time and resources of public servants, that we all have to pay for through our taxes.

I greatly doubt that the majority of people on the council house waiting list are those who are financially secure, have good savings, and are fully capable of buying a house, but just got pissy with their landlord.....

And those that are, should be penalised/prosecuted for wasting time and resources of public servants, that we all have to pay for through our taxes.

Whoosh!

Seems I have to spell it out: peoples circumstances change.

In February 2005 when I had to move, I was in a very poor position to satisfy a landlord's financial checks, having made a handsome £7K income in 2004. Now I'm making more than that per month, and the crash means it no longer matters that I'm too old to pay off a normal-length mortgage in my working life.

Edited by niq

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

The freshly awoken bull, not realizing the seasonal change, and grumpy from long cruising on the money of others, will often attack ascendant bears.

750,000 empty houses.

72,000 people homeless.

Plus all the people not applying for council houses, but still wanting a place of their own, ie, middle class youngsters living with their families, or in Uni dorms, etc etc etc.

So empty houses account for less than half of the current urgent housing needs....... and probably less than a quarter of the total housing needs.

And new construction has almost completely stopped. Sounds like a wave of pent up demand building to me.........

That's a new one. Students living in university accommodation should be counted in the housing shortage. Excellent. I think you should include nurses living in nurses homes, soldiers livinig in barracks, children at boarding school, anyone regularly using a hotel, people on camping holidays. The many sad people with only one home who have to rent places for holidays.

muppet.

I've always maintained that there has never been a problem with the shortage of housing supply, but there has been a problem with the distribution of ownership - you have cases of extreme multiple ownership versus those with no ownership whatsoever. Surely if everyone only had one house, then most of the people who don't have one but would be capable of getting one would be able to? This has been my biggest bugbear against buy-to-let, in that it seems to create an extremely distorted equilibrium.

Where are these empty house? If they are in places with no employment prospects like the post-industrial cities then you have your answer. Prescott started pathfinder because not only were many of these properties incapable of being refurbished to acceptable standards but they were also in the wrong places. It's an absolute that you can only have econmic activity close to London.

Who wants to be gien a billet in Liverpool (substitute just about any city north of Milton Keynes)! No job, sink schools, overloaded public services, criminals.

Social housing has to be fit for habitation, private housing does not so don't expect any branch of government to take on the old city slums.

Where are these empty house? If they are in places with no employment prospects like the post-industrial cities then you have your answer. Prescott started pathfinder because not only were many of these properties incapable of being refurbished to acceptable standards but they were also in the wrong places. It's an absolute that you can only have econmic activity close to London.

Who wants to be gien a billet in Liverpool (substitute just about any city north of Milton Keynes)! No job, sink schools, overloaded public services, criminals.

Social housing has to be fit for habitation, private housing does not so don't expect any branch of government to take on the old city slums.

With that attitude, you'll be a refugee for a long, long time :lol:

750,000 empty houses.

72,000 people homeless.

:lol::lol::lol:

They all sound like people that could afford to buy a house at more than 3.5 salary. The students might be able to afford a house of say £30,000 max or rent of say £300 a month.........

I thought the article said there were 72000 homeless.. So if 1.5m people are on council waiting lists, and at least 1.4million of them aren't homeless then where do they live now? The answer is simple, in privately rented accommodation - so the council waiting lists statistic is red herring just put in there to confuse you (and it worked) - these people already have homes, it's just they want the added value/protection of having a local authority house.. Comparing empty houses with a list of people who have a house but want cheaper ones is totally bogus, it's a totally different thing.. shame on the bbc

Even IF these were people really were without a home, then 750000 houses can house a lot more than 1.5m people.. so it would still show excess supply..

I thought the article said there were 72000 homeless.. So if 1.5m people are on council waiting lists, and at least 1.4m of them aren't homeless then where do they live now? The answer is simple, in privately rented accommodation - so the council waiting lists statistic is red herring just put in there to confuse you (and it worked) - these people already have homes, it's just they want the added value/protection of having a local authority house.. Comparing empty houses with a list of people who have a house but want cheaper ones is totally bogus, it's a totally different thing.. shame on the BBC

Even IF these were people really were without a home, then 750000 houses can house a lot more than 1.5m people.. so it would still show excess supply..

This is an important point. It's a British thing, we like queueing. Many will get their names on the Council House Waiting List list when they do actually have somewhere to live. It is an inflated and somewhat dubious figure that does not mean vast swathes of people are living on the streets.

Good schools are the same: 'we are thinking of having a baby... better get the baby's name (?) down on the list for St. James'...' or whatever.

Why bother with proper analysis when you can be mischievous with a headline.

750,000 empty houses.

72,000 people homeless.

The housing developments being built near me that are still ongoing only have a capacity for 10% affordable housing. If all the demand for housing that you mention is for social housing, why is the remaing 90% being built?

Seems to me that profit is still the only concern for house builders in this country and the legeslative powers that be that give them permission to build, not a shortage of houses!

It is very simple to tell if there is a housing shortgage in this country:

Ask yourself a few simple questions:

(1) Do you know of huge groups of people sharing houses all over the joint - because they have nowhere else to go ?

(2) Do you see thousands of people with money sleeping on the streets because they have nowhere else to go ?

(3) Do you open the sales section of the property papers and see a small choice of houses to buy ?

(4) Do you open the rental section of the property papers and see a small choice of houses to rent ?

If the answer to the above questions is no - then we don't have a housing shortage. The only issue is with price and how this accomodation is spread out.

There must be literally millions, I would guess maybe 5 million at least, empty bedrooms in the UK every single night.

How many 4 or 5 bedroom houses out there use only one every night ? A million - easy IMO.

We don't have a shortgage of housing in this country. We simply have a very poor distribution of available resources.

The reason for this IMO ? Greed. Pure and simple.

I thought the article said there were 72000 homeless.. So if 1.5m people are on council waiting lists, and at least 1.4million of them aren't homeless then where do they live now? The answer is simple, in privately rented accommodation - so the council waiting lists statistic is red herring just put in there to confuse you (and it worked) - these people already have homes, it's just they want the added value/protection of having a local authority house.. Comparing empty houses with a list of people who have a house but want cheaper ones is totally bogus, it's a totally different thing.. shame on the bbc

well pointed out. I just don't get why more people don't see this straight away.

The fact that 1.5 million people are on the housing list doesn't mean that those 750,000 empty homes may some day be valuable again or saleable.The 1.5 million are looking for social housing,a virtual freebie whereby the rent just covers the cost of building insurance and maintenance.If you made the homes available for rent by enforcement the landlords would merely be lending their capital to someone else for free.I suppose it all goes to show that housing was always bloody virtually worthless and the only way to make money was capital appreciation.Even in the private sector dilapidations wipe out the profit and you have to rely on a ponzi scheme for capital appreciation which turns to equity wipe out when the market crashes.

Edited by crashmonitor

750,000 empty houses.

72,000 people homeless.

I was going to write something, but jimjones has answered it perfectly..

I thought the article said there were 72000 homeless.. So if 1.5m people are on council waiting lists, and at least 1.4million of them aren't homeless then where do they live now? The answer is simple, in privately rented accommodation...