House Price Crash Forum

Blood Bath In January For Some Retailers

UKguy1979

HOLA441
All of the ones in the middle sooner or later get wiped out, there seem to be tons of middle market type companies,

ie

Charity shop = lowest

Primark = low

M&S + Next + river Island + burtons + dorithy perkins (still exist?) + top shop = middle

designer shops that tell me to leave immediately or they'll call the police = top.

:lol:

Judging by last week's business pages the fashion retailers will be first to go - the insolvency saviours are very open about sharpening their knives.

And I get the same impression from WH Smith as I did from Woolies - overpriced tat aimed at nobody in particular.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
+6 Shitty Link

+7 Shitty Link

I stopped buying computer kit from one online retailer because they used this company to not deliver their goods.

HOLA443
HOLA444
+7 Shitty Link

I stopped buying computer kit from one online retailer because they used this company to not deliver their goods.

+8 0r whatever it is. I'm sorry but only narrowing down a deliver time to 'between 9 and 5 on a given day' is not good enough. Nor is the nearest depot being 20 miles away when you in a major city.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Parcelforce are shit too. Got all our Xmas orders sent to wrong address due to rogue agency delivery driver. That was three separate deliveries.

I think Next will fare better than some middle of the road 'fashion' retailers cos their kids clothes are good and they do cheap but good quality smart clothes suitable for job interviews and poxy office temp jobs! Ha ha.

HOLA447
HOLA448

One's that could go during this recession, not necessarily immediately:

WH Smiths

What is the point of this Jack of all trades? Used to make sense in one horse towns, but now if you live in a one horse town you get your books and CDs and DVDs online. If you want a good magazine selection borders is much better. The stationary is too limited to be useful and pricey compared to other suppliers.

Debenhams

The department store concept can still kind of work if there's a wow factor or an everything under one roof range. Debs is dull, dull, dull.

Zavvi

Silly name. Fading market. Can't see why a huge entertainment chain is needed. I don't think BluRay will take off as much as DVD because when broadband 2.0 get more widespread that's how we'll get hi-def content. Downloads and online reatilers have eaten into CD sales. Zavvi stores are bland, not a music fan's haunt. Pointless.

PC World

Used to work when there was still a large demographic out there that had never had a home computer. Now, unless there's a megaoffer on, who would buy a PC there? There stores are now quite sparse and loaded with tat. Maplin is better for odds and sods. Phone shops are now major laptop sellers. Online a huge factor. For premium Sony and Apple computers John lewis give free 2 year guarantees. PC world is now pointless.

River Island

Never set foot in one and the windows always look dreary with dull townie clothing.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I nominate that trend setting retail mecca and source of unwanted tat, Past Times. The retail buyers feast on hallucinogenic mushrooms before gathering suppliers to buy product lines for their stores. I know this because it's the only plausible explanation.

Sackcloth garments, imitation Roman doormats and unspeakably poor taste ornaments.

HOLA4413

Oh another retail segment I don't get are those upper-middle market shops that sell frocks - Karen Millen, Phase 8, Noa Noa, Reiss. Always very, very empty and how large is the demographic that needs a new posh frock regularly? I never see ladies in pretty dresses in the street, seldom at the theatre, or in the windows of pricey eateries. I had a friend who'd get dolled up when hosting dinner parties but most of the guests would be more casual. Where are these ladies wearing this stuff?

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

HOLA4414
I nominate that trend setting retail mecca and source of unwanted tat, Past Times. The retail buyers feast on hallucinogenic mushrooms before gathering suppliers to buy product lines for their stores. I know this because it's the only plausible explanation.

Sackcloth garments, imitation Roman doormats and unspeakably poor taste ornaments.

Oh yeah - this place makes the Gadget Shop RIP seem essential.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Is that how you got to look like that? waiting for them?

Yeah. Im sure they hide around the corner and watch me go to work before trying to deliver. That laptop was well out of date and that was before they lost it.

Ill change my avatar when i get arround to it, its a bit in your face like. Symbolic though.

Edited by charliemouse

HOLA4417
Jessops really won't be long.

They have been struggling for ages and their shares are now trading at less than a penny after a 13% drop on Friday.

Worthless company. Bye bye JSP!

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/...2/one_month.stm

They used to be good in the days of films and would always have a good second hand section and middle aged camera nerds for staff who knew all the products. Since digital they've become just a Currys-for-cameras. Shame.

HOLA4418
They used to be good in the days of films and would always have a good second hand section and middle aged camera nerds for staff who knew all the products. Since digital they've become just a Currys-for-cameras. Shame.

It is a shame.....partly because of the staff there generally appear extremely knowledgeable about the product that they sell...not like half the spotty oafs employed by most high street retailers.

HOLA4419
When these retailers go under the heart will be ripped out of many town centres, leaving them looking like bombsites.

Coventry already does. They should just go the whole hog and demolish the increasingly redundant post-war shopping precinct and replace it with some parkland, flower beds and trees.

HOLA4420
Waterstones? they were trying to tell me recently that a book I had just seen on Amazon was out of print. Their business model of quite pricey books with a quite pricey cafe upstairs thrives on the boom times of packed shopping streets. They are almost certainly f*cked IMO.

Many books on Amazon are out of print. In fact most of them.

HOLA4421
Woolworth

Jessups

Boots (May be)

Halfords (Cars are well built these days)

Any more

Oh Yes M&S (BLoody expensive!)......get their ass kicked!

Mike

Jessops, another PE disaster, plenty of rumours about them for over a year now. No chance, gone early next year IMO.

Given that Boots were the object of an 11 Billion leveraged buyout, using what were called "controversial" and "exotic" loans even at that time, I don't think there is any maybe about it! They still have to service a debt of 9 BILLION. Their debt was being hawked around by the banks at 90% last I saw. I wonder how many cov-lite deals are still being done? ;)

Not sure about Halfords. This will also be the time of mending and making do, and don't forget the bikes and spares. So in as much as there is future for high street retailers, I don't think Halfords are near the bottom of the pile....but they too have that debt to service. Frankly, I wouldn't give you much for the chances of most of them over the next two years

I've even got my doubts about multinationals like Starbucks. Others? Focus, Land of Leather and Fads; gone before February.

HOLA4422
Coventry already does. They should just go the whole hog and demolish the increasingly redundant post-war shopping precinct and replace it with some parkland, flower beds and trees.

I disagree. Towns need to be revitalised with living space as well as commerical space. The out of town retail shed parks rely on the car too much. Given the energy crunch they are outmoded.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425