House Price Crash Forum

Fed Up With Cornwall!

midlandnick

HOLA441
What now that the Cornish have half of Europe fishing off their coast and most of the clay mines have been shut? Cornwall was fairly rich in natural resources before the English came along! They could have built quite a good economy I would have thought if they were given their country back years ago. There is no point now though there is nothing left! They certainly couldnt have done any worse than Brown has done to them.

I would have thought that the most of the Cornish would be happy with less money if they could still afford housing. That is the toss up, less wages but a great quality of life. However as the normal newly qualified solicitor down there cant even afford a one bedroom flat, the quality of life is crap.

The government money that comes into the area only really goes into the tourist trade. That only supplies seasonal work. Therefore the Cornish can work their nuts off in the summer cleaning and waiting on the richer people from up country only to be out of work in the winter when it is cold and there is nothing to do. Not much quality of life there.

Other than the tourist trade there is always meat packing, yippee what a future for the Cornish children to look forward to.

Yawn.

The poor poor Cornish are so hard done by.

No other regions suffer the same issues, economic inequalities are a uniquely Cornish problem.

Poor local job prospects are also uniquely Cornish, no other regions' children have to seek knowledge/their fortune/experience elsewhere.

They have a unique birthright to live and work near where they are brought up, over and above the rights of all other UK/European citizens.

They have the right to a job for life, no matter how the economic circumstances may change.

Morons.

Tell you what, here's a plan for the Cornish :

1. Stop moaning.

2. Get an enormous loan at 0.5% from Ponzi Brown while he's still in charge. A debt of about 5 gazillion(as long as it's pounds) will be nothing in 20 years.

3. Build the finest university in Britain somewhere on the main trainline from London. The best facilities for everything, both for study and sport/leisure activities, the most up-to-date courses, a dynamic organisational structure that can hire and fire as required and adapt to changing times (better not be a Cornish person in charge then). Pinch all the best young lecturers from Oxbridge with pay/lifestyle offers. Set the entrance standards as high as Oxbridge.

3. 5% of places at this uni to be 100% scholarships for the highest-achieving local state-school students that can be found, with an emphasis on entrepreneurial disciplines likely to spawn business start-ups.(the uni. might have to be patient with this lot at first as their trog parents aren't likely to have filled them with commercial flair)

4. Provide tax-breaks and access to university facilities for local start-ups.

5. Shutup (again).

6. Wait a few years.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
If you left Cornwall to the Cornish, it would just turn into an non-achieving, hopeless overgrown, desolate trogg infested wasteland. It's probably what they deserve, although they would be the first to complain if this was the case.

They managed OK in the past. I think you will find many contributions to the industrial revolution originated in Cornwall.

If you regard what is widely seen as one of the most beautiful parts of the UK as a wasteland then I don't have the faintest idea why you ever deigned to live here. And what would your definition of overgrown be?!

HOLA443
Yawn.

The poor poor Cornish are so hard done by.

No other regions suffer the same issues, economic inequalities are a uniquely Cornish problem.

Poor local job prospects are also uniquely Cornish, no other regions' children have to seek knowledge/their fortune/experience elsewhere.

They have a unique birthright to live and work near where they are brought up, over and above the rights of all other UK/European citizens.

They have the right to a job for life, no matter how the economic circumstances may change.

Morons.

Tell you what, here's a plan for the Cornish :

1. Stop moaning.

2. Get an enormous loan at 0.5% from Ponzi Brown while he's still in charge. A debt of about 5 gazillion(as long as it's pounds) will be nothing in 20 years.

3. Build the finest university in Britain somewhere on the main trainline from London. The best facilities for everything, both for study and sport/leisure activities, the most up-to-date courses, a dynamic organisational structure that can hire and fire as required and adapt to changing times (better not be a Cornish person in charge then). Pinch all the best young lecturers from Oxbridge with pay/lifestyle offers. Set the entrance standards as high as Oxbridge.

3. 5% of places at this uni to be 100% scholarships for the highest-achieving local state-school students that can be found, with an emphasis on entrepreneurial disciplines likely to spawn business start-ups.(the uni. might have to be patient with this lot at first as their trog parents aren't likely to have filled them with commercial flair)

4. Provide tax-breaks and access to university facilities for local start-ups.

5. Shutup (again).

6. Wait a few years.

Just because it is happening in different parts of the country doesn’t make it right.

Cornwall was its own country with its own language, flag and traditions and should still be. The British Isles used to refer to Cornwall as being a separate country in the Union just like Wales and Scotland. Does a Scottish person have more right to live in Scotland than me? Damn right they do.

Left to their own devices the Cornish would have had the wealth created by the mines together with a fantastic coast for fishing and lots of fertile land for the farmers. They would have been just fine. The Alaskan people get a dividend every year from the US government. This is their share of the wealth that the oil under Alaska brings. What did the Cornish get when the English stripped their land of its natural resources? Without England the Cornish could regain control of their fishing grounds and get rid of all the French fisherman that fish off the Cornish coast.

As for your university town idea, why should the Cornish suddenly have to be a glorified university town, with all the puking students that that entails? How will that help local jobs when all the best jobs would be taken from people from up country. Not many Cornish farmers are capable of being university lecturers. Oh I see, the Cornish can clean up the students puke and work in Tesco’s selling cheap beer to them too, what a career.

Wales seems to get a load more investment than the Cornish do, and as I say, the only investment that the government makes in Cornwall is to help the tourist trade, that does not help the average Cornish person.

I think the main difference with Cornwall compared with the other deprived areas of the country (which it was it is) is that you don’t have hordes of people trying to move to inner city Bradford, most of the movement would be away from such areas.

HOLA444
Just because it is happening in different parts of the country doesn’t make it right.

Cornwall was its own country with its own language, flag and traditions and should still be. The British Isles used to refer to Cornwall as being a separate country in the Union just like Wales and Scotland. Does a Scottish person have more right to live in Scotland than me? Damn right they do.

Left to their own devices the Cornish would have had the wealth created by the mines together with a fantastic coast for fishing and lots of fertile land for the farmers. They would have been just fine. The Alaskan people get a dividend every year from the US government. This is their share of the wealth that the oil under Alaska brings. What did the Cornish get when the English stripped their land of its natural resources? Without England the Cornish could regain control of their fishing grounds and get rid of all the French fisherman that fish off the Cornish coast.

As for your university town idea, why should the Cornish suddenly have to be a glorified university town, with all the puking students that that entails? How will that help local jobs when all the best jobs would be taken from people from up country. Not many Cornish farmers are capable of being university lecturers. Oh I see, the Cornish can clean up the students puke and work in Tesco’s selling cheap beer to them too, what a career.

Wales seems to get a load more investment than the Cornish do, and as I say, the only investment that the government makes in Cornwall is to help the tourist trade, that does not help the average Cornish person.

I think the main difference with Cornwall compared with the other deprived areas of the country (which it was it is) is that you don’t have hordes of people trying to move to inner city Bradford, most of the movement would be away from such areas.

Oh dear, a little nationalist.

If you go back far enough different villages had their own language, not that long ago in France in fact. Would the next step be secession for Snozzle from the tyranny of the Truro government?

Keep the French boats away? :lol: Would you want a Cornish navy and army as well? Perhaps some cruise missiles to threaten the recently-created Breton capital with? Passport control at Saltash, customs officers patrolling the Tamar, hmm it could get pricey, I doubt if fishing and farming would pay for it, and as for mining, it's a global marketplace, even if all the Cornish resources were still there they'd never compete. Who would buy your tin and china clay at double the global market price?

Are you really a conveyancer? I'd expect a little more recognition that the world is more than 100 miles across from someone with that level of education.

The uni idea is to improve the longterm prospects of the region by creating businesses and wealth and more importantly a large number of bright people, some of whom will one day be powerful, with an attachment to Cornwall, with 5% with a top-class education for free actually from the area(as this point seems to be so important to you). You would be amazed how much of the wealth of the Oxford colleges originates from successful alumni.

No the farmers couldn't be the lecturers, but if they had any bright kids (genetic anomalies are thrown up everywhere after all ;) ) then they could, or better still could start up modern businesses on graduation that would create employment.

How do you think businesses other than meat-packing or cleaning up student puke come into existence, by magic?

HOLA445

Don't bother arguing mate.

This thread is misnamed. Should be fed up with the Cornish.

Cornwall is a very lovely county on the whole, been many times at all times of year so not a rose tinted view.

Got relatives there - one lot there 35 years now who came from rural Suffolk and are more or less accepted.

Other lot from Chelmsford 10 years ago and are semi accepted.

What a bunch of tossers the Cornish are for thinking they have the right to 'accept' people or not.

If we move there we will neither make waves or make an effort to become 'Cornish'.

We will be polite, considerate and honest, but at the end of the day they can like us or lump us and will have no special favours from us we wouldn't do anybody else.

HOLA446
Oh dear, a little nationalist.

If you go back far enough different villages had their own language, not that long ago in France in fact. Would the next step be secession for Snozzle from the tyranny of the Truro government?

Keep the French boats away? :lol: Would you want a Cornish navy and army as well? Perhaps some cruise missiles to threaten the recently-created Breton capital with? Passport control at Saltash, customs officers patrolling the Tamar, hmm it could get pricey, I doubt if fishing and farming would pay for it, and as for mining, it's a global marketplace, even if all the Cornish resources were still there they'd never compete. Who would buy your tin and china clay at double the global market price?

Are you really a conveyancer? I'd expect a little more recognition that the world is more than 100 miles across from someone with that level of education.

The uni idea is to improve the longterm prospects of the region by creating businesses and wealth and more importantly a large number of bright people, some of whom will one day be powerful, with an attachment to Cornwall, with 5% with a top-class education for free actually from the area(as this point seems to be so important to you). You would be amazed how much of the wealth of the Oxford colleges originates from successful alumni.

No the farmers couldn't be the lecturers, but if they had any bright kids (genetic anomalies are thrown up everywhere after all ;) ) then they could, or better still could start up modern businesses on graduation that would create employment.

How do you think businesses other than meat-packing or cleaning up student puke come into existence, by magic?

Im not going as far as passport control along the Tamar but I do think the Duchy deserves to have more control of its affairs, along the same lines as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

I do believe that if the English had left Cornwall as its own Country it would be in a much better state than it is now.

For the record I was not born in Cornwall but my best mate was and still lives there. They have a good job and work hard but could never even afford a shed in Cornwall. They love the place, why should they have to move. They dont work in the tourist trade, thank God, because the pay is crap and the work is seasonal and so don't benefit an awful lot from the government investment. Why should people have to move away from their communities, their family and their friends. Maybe what is wrong with the country that close knit communities have been destroyed. When I was a kid I would never get up to mischief in the streets, if your Mum didnt see you someone she knew would and you would be in for it when you got home. Mum worked part time and would drop me off at Granny's on the way to work in the school holidays. Nowdays most people arent even on speaking turns with their neighbours and families are spread across the country, children are left to their own devices rather too much.

I had to move away from where I was brought up because of the amount of "newcomers" forcing up house prices and changing the area for the worse, I guess I know how it feels to be forced out of an area.

Yes I am a Conveyancer and have travelled the world quite sufficiently thank you very much. I have travelled sufficiently in fact to realise that the best place is home and am a bit of an idealist in thinking that everyone deserves to have that home in the place that the grew up if that is what they want.

I am a bit of a good life freak at heart and feel that we would all be a bit happier if we had a little less and appreciated the simple things a little bit more. I would think that a lot of the Cornish are happy with the simple life and would be happy with the low wages if they could afford to buy their own homes. Hopefully we will see that happening fairly soon though!

HOLA447
Im not going as far as passport control along the Tamar but I do think the Duchy deserves to have more control of its affairs, along the same lines as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

I do believe that if the English had left Cornwall as its own Country it would be in a much better state than it is now.

For the record I was not born in Cornwall but my best mate was and still lives there. They have a good job and work hard but could never even afford a shed in Cornwall. They love the place, why should they have to move. They dont work in the tourist trade, thank God, because the pay is crap and the work is seasonal and so don't benefit an awful lot from the government investment. Why should people have to move away from their communities, their family and their friends. Maybe what is wrong with the country that close knit communities have been destroyed. When I was a kid I would never get up to mischief in the streets, if your Mum didnt see you someone she knew would and you would be in for it when you got home. Mum worked part time and would drop me off at Granny's on the way to work in the school holidays. Nowdays most people arent even on speaking turns with their neighbours and families are spread across the country, children are left to their own devices rather too much.

I had to move away from where I was brought up because of the amount of "newcomers" forcing up house prices and changing the area for the worse, I guess I know how it feels to be forced out of an area.

Yes I am a Conveyancer and have travelled the world quite sufficiently thank you very much. I have travelled sufficiently in fact to realise that the best place is home and am a bit of an idealist in thinking that everyone deserves to have that home in the place that the grew up if that is what they want.

I am a bit of a good life freak at heart and feel that we would all be a bit happier if we had a little less and appreciated the simple things a little bit more. I would think that a lot of the Cornish are happy with the simple life and would be happy with the low wages if they could afford to buy their own homes. Hopefully we will see that happening fairly soon though!

Hmm well Cornwall was never like Tolkiens' "The Shire" to my knowledge, although some of the inhabitants are similar in appearance. It seems to me you hanker for something like that. Close-knit communities with a strict moral code have a certain appeal, especially if you're not too far down the pecking order.

Despite my slightly acerbic humour I agree with your last paragraph in fact, it would be very nice, but we all have to live in the now. Cornwall has to make a future for itself, not even cheap housing will bring back a pastoral idyll that never really was.

Of one thing I am certain, closing ranks against outsiders and resenting their wealth is completely self-defeating if you want to make communities work. Assimilate them, most will want to be positive, why do you think they came?

The anti-outsider approach is every bit as destructive to the community as the unoccupied holiday homes.

HOLA448

I grew up in Suffolk. People from London come and buy holiday homes and force up the price of property.

People from other parts of the UK have raped my county and stolen all the grain for their own consumption.

Ergo - suffolk should become a separate country.

You may have travelled but you obviously haven't realised the damage that a mindset such as yours ('everything bad is the fault of outsiders') can do.

HOLA449

I admire your optimism. Jobs, even low paid ones, are disappearing fast as we speak. Cornish homes will always remain far too high for locals. Having spent 40 years of my life in Cornwall, that situation has never been any different.

HOLA4410
  • 5 weeks later...
HOLA4411

What a horrible thread. :(

I grew up in Cornwall and know of people who made the effort to become part of the community and have lived happily for years there. Yes there is a tide of resentment against second home owners who don't pay as much council tax and therefore families can't buuy in the towns and villages in which they grew up. Yes, this can be said for many other areas in England.

Can't say many of my friends were hobbit look a likes either. Cornwall does have a sense of it's own identity and the people are proud. I love my home county. I am happy to share it with tourists who bring a bustle and life otherwise lacking in the county.

I find the hurtful comments made on both sides of this rather extreme argument disgusting and narrow minded.

HOLA4412

I grew up in Cornwall and know of people who made the effort to become part of the community and have lived happily for years there. Yes there is a tide of resentment against second home owners who don't pay as much council tax and therefore families can't buuy in the towns and villages in which they grew up. Yes, this can be said for many other areas in England.

Can't say many of my friends were hobbit look a likes either. Cornwall does have a sense of it's own identity and the people are proud. I love my home county. I am happy to share it with tourists who bring a bustle and life otherwise lacking in the county.

I find the hurtful comments made on both sides of this rather extreme argument disgusting and narrow minded.

I have so far refrained from this thread but you are bang on pac man. I was raised in Cornwall too, not to Cornish parents and I have always been accepted by the Cornish. Yes they have a certain sense of humour and suffer fools badly, but on the whole are a tolerant race who dont need telling what to do.

Many of the Newbies to Cornwall appear to have a bad attitude from the start looking down their noses at the local peasants etc, then they wonder why they are not accepted. Owning a bungalow and being a retired accountant does not make you Lord of the manor.

I can quite see why some of the contributors to this thread have not been accepted by the Cornish and just for the record 'emmit' is Cornish for ants and is used a term to describe the visitors swarming all over the place.

Devon calls it's visitors ' Grockles' any one know the origins of that? I dont.

I am amazed how racist this thread became, would people say these things regaring another race with out reprimand?

In short if you dont like it/them dont go there.

HOLA4413
I have so far refrained from this thread but you are bang on pac man. I was raised in Cornwall too, not to Cornish parents and I have always been accepted by the Cornish. Yes they have a certain sense of humour and suffer fools badly, but on the whole are a tolerant race who dont need telling what to do.

Many of the Newbies to Cornwall appear to have a bad attitude from the start looking down their noses at the local peasants etc, then they wonder why they are not accepted. Owning a bungalow and being a retired accountant does not make you Lord of the manor.

I can quite see why some of the contributors to this thread have not been accepted by the Cornish and just for the record 'emmit' is Cornish for ants and is used a term to describe the visitors swarming all over the place.

Devon calls it's visitors ' Grockles' any one know the origins of that? I dont.

I am amazed how racist this thread became, would people say these things regaring another race with out reprimand?

In short if you dont like it/them dont go there.

Being a newbie to this forum and having read through some of the posts I would like to add my bit, we have been visiting Cornwall for the past 14 years at various times of the year, we have met a lot of locals and incomers in that time and not met with or heard of any animosity what so ever.

We have fallen for the county big time and would love to settle there one day, As for incomers you need a degree in eastern european languages working in shops or building sites up here, house prices went up across the country and advailability of low cost housing is just as bad if not worse in London

Wages are the same being a site chippy in Hertfordshire as you would working on the CUC Penryn, maybe the white collar jobs are less well paid than London but I think they are about the same in the shires

So Feb Up With Cornwall NO WAY race you to the Tamar

So 'Fed Up With Cornwall' NO SIR

HOLA4414
and just for the record 'emmit' is Cornish for ants and is used a term to describe the visitors swarming all over the place.

Devon calls it's visitors ' Grockles' any one know the origins of that? I dont. .

I made just this same point on 31 December. People don't seem to appreciate that "grockle" has nothing to do with Cornwall. I also think it is a great shame about the tone of this thread. What seems to be argued against in many instances is the fact that Cornish are in fact a different race to the English (ie they are Celts just like the Welsh and the Scots, albeit being more closely linked to, and looking like, the Brittany Celts - just look how many dark haired people there are in Cornwall; up country, everyone assumes I am spanish or italian), with their own national identity and desires for self-determination (again, just like the Welsh and the Scots). But I'm not sure there is a thread on this site directing such venom towards the Welsh and the Scots as on this thread.

The arguments are deliberately offensive against the Cornish. I won't get involved in silly slanging matches with people, because I have something better to do in my life, like filing my toe-nails, but I think people should try to appreciate local conditions, local ancestry and how similar that is to other indigenous inhabitants of the UK (like Wales and Scotland ......)

HOLA4415
I made just this same point on 31 December. People don't seem to appreciate that "grockle" has nothing to do with Cornwall. I also think it is a great shame about the tone of this thread. What seems to be argued against in many instances is the fact that Cornish are in fact a different race to the English (ie they are Celts just like the Welsh and the Scots, albeit being more closely linked to, and looking like, the Brittany Celts - just look how many dark haired people there are in Cornwall; up country, everyone assumes I am spanish or italian), with their own national identity and desires for self-determination (again, just like the Welsh and the Scots). But I'm not sure there is a thread on this site directing such venom towards the Welsh and the Scots as on this thread.

The arguments are deliberately offensive against the Cornish. I won't get involved in silly slanging matches with people, because I have something better to do in my life, like filing my toe-nails, but I think people should try to appreciate local conditions, local ancestry and how similar that is to other indigenous inhabitants of the UK (like Wales and Scotland ......)

Well, looks like Trelawney's army is on the march, shall we have an uprising against these biased types?

Seriously, they wouldnt say these things against the Welsh or the Scottish and certainly not the Irish as it would be deemed racist.

Kernow support group for abused forum posters any one? We'll join drekly ;)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Well, looks like Trelawney's army is on the march, shall we have an uprising against these biased types?

Seriously, they wouldnt say these things against the Welsh or the Scottish and certainly not the Irish as it would be deemed racist.

Kernow support group for abused forum posters any one? We'll join drekly ;)

I'll be with you. Glad I'm not the only one who thought this was getting a bit out of order. Just because this is anonymous people think it gives them licence to be really nasty to each other. I found it all quite upsetting......and racist was probably the word I was looking for.

Like you, my parents weren't from Cornish stock. I never found it a problem as they are very active in the community and acceptance wasn't a problem. And that was about 30 years ago!

Ho Hum, freedom of speech and all that.

HOLA4418
I'll be with you. Glad I'm not the only one who thought this was getting a bit out of order. Just because this is anonymous people think it gives them licence to be really nasty to each other. I found it all quite upsetting......and racist was probably the word I was looking for.

Like you, my parents weren't from Cornish stock. I never found it a problem as they are very active in the community and acceptance wasn't a problem. And that was about 30 years ago!

Ho Hum, freedom of speech and all that.

This reminds me of the Tea treat punch ups in the 70's Redruth boys vs Camborne, winners take on Hayle!

Well at least they got a great big saffron bun for their trouble.

I posted this true story on another Cornish bashing thread.

Visitor in a Cornish town ' this place is the arsehole of the world'

Local ' passin through are 'ee' :lol:

Seriously, I dont understand why people are so keen to go to a county to slag it off? They can stay at home and do that lol

Edited by hev

HOLA4419

Can't say many of my friends were hobbit look a likes either. Cornwall does have a sense of it's own identity and the people are proud. I love my home county. [color="#FF00FF]I am happy to share it with tourists who bring a bustle and life otherwise lacking in the county. [/color]I find the hurtful comments made on both sides of this rather extreme argument disgusting and narrow minded.

These two highlighted bits separate you(the wheat) from the chaff. If all the locals appreciated what the "outsiders" can bring then this thread wouldn't have been posted. The worst of the "outsiders" play their part in this friction as well, but even they bring much-needed cash.

My apologies if the hobbit joke (which was intended to be acid humour, and not to be taken seriously) caused you offence.

In fact if you were a Tolkien freak you'd realise it's not quite so insulting as it appears.

I loved Cornwall when I lived there, and may one day return. I'd like its' future to be bright.

However for those who want to introduce race into the debate, which is frankly ridiculous, then you might want to consider what constitutes a "race". Birthplace? Genetics? Both? On at least one count I'm from Devon or Cornwall.

What is at issue here is the attitudes of both the locals and the new settlers.

HOLA4420
Clutching at straws, I suppose one should be pleased that you are sufficiently passionate about the subject to go so far as even leaving me offensive posts in my personal profile. I hope you come to terms with your anger. What am I doing in Devon? Well, I can't get home to Cornwall professionally, and instead I'm investing the vast amount of money I made in London, and attracting large amounts of investment from elsewhere in the UK and abroad, down to Devon. Yes, I'd rather be the other side of the Tamar too - I'm with you there; Devon is a lovely place; but I'm Cornish. By the way, "Grockle" is not a Cornish term - only emmit is; Grockle is the Devonian equivalent - so even the Devonians have a derogatory term for non-locals; I suppose you could say that a Cornish person is a Grockle to a Devonian, given that its real meaning is outsider, not holiday-maker

The EU, and its cash, is a thorny subject. If we didn't have the EU and its fishery policies in the first place, then maybe Cornwall would be less dependent on the Objective One cash and the tourists in the first place.

Rex, dont rise to ' thick as a ----'

thicker than clotted cream my bird

HOLA4421

Sad to see such an inappropriate and pointless thread on HPC...

Cornwall is a lovely part of this island, and persons living there should consider themselves fortunate to be able to do so.

Edited by GreySquirrel

HOLA4422
Rex, dont rise to ' thick as a ----'

thicker than clotted cream my bird

yup. i'm off to file my toe-nails. They are so hobbit-like that it'll probably take a few hours to grind the horns down.

HOLA4423
Sad to see such an inappropriate and pointless thread on HPC...

Cornwall is a lovely part of this island, and persons living there should consider themselves fortunate to be able to do so.

'Here Here' as those children in westminster are wont to cry

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4424

It's a beautiful day where I live - I daresay down in Cornwall the primroses will be showing already.

Lovely, on good days between February and June the place is peerless for coast walks, really special. On rare occasions the surf is as good as the tourist board would have you believe as well.

This caught my eye.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...all/7900972.stm

And there I was thinking the locals spoke Westron..... <_<

Don't go taking this post too seriously now :rolleyes:

On the net I'm not seeing any sign of big drops in the prices. How long can the houses down there defy gravity? Are all the sacked bankers moving to Cornwall with their ill-gotten gains?

HOLA4425
It's a beautiful day where I live - I daresay down in Cornwall the primroses will be showing already.

Lovely, on good days between February and June the place is peerless for coast walks, really special. On rare occasions the surf is as good as the tourist board would have you believe as well.

This caught my eye.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...all/7900972.stm

And there I was thinking the locals spoke Westron..... <_<

Don't go taking this post too seriously now :rolleyes:

On the net I'm not seeing any sign of big drops in the prices. How long can the houses down there defy gravity? Are all the sacked bankers moving to Cornwall with their ill-gotten gains?

There are only a few who speak Cornish and most of them are over 90, so unless schools put it on the curriculum it will die out for good.

Yes, prices here are still strong. The market apparently, has picked up again. Houses that have been for sale for a while in my village have started to shift, although, one does not know at exactly what they sell for, unless you wait for 3 months and look them up on www.houseprices.co.uk