House Price Crash Forum

Fed Up With Cornwall!

midlandnick

My partner and I moved down here in 2004 in the hope that we'd like the way of life down here. All I can say is that we both can't wait to move "up country" again. I know not all Cornish people are narrow minded racists but we are both rather fed up of being reminded we aren't local and we are responsible for high property prices in the area. I have news for thre Cornish, they are high all over the UK!

Before you all start tapping away and tell me off for being honest. I know several Cornish people who totally agree with me. Think twice before moving here is my advice. Living here is not the same as being on holiday. The locals do not all offer a warm welcome. Some trades people think it's funny and clever to rip off an emmit. I now import work men from the other side of the Tamar, it's a lot cheaper and more reliable. The weather is often awful and retail prices are high and wages are low.

Moving abroad isn't always the answer either as 70% of those who do so return to the UK.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My partner and I moved down here in 2004 in the hope that we'd like the way of life down here. All I can say is that we both can't wait to move "up country" again. I know not all Cornish people are narrow minded racists but we are both rather fed up of being reminded we aren't local and we are responsible for high property prices in the area. I have news for thre Cornish, they are high all over the UK!

Before you all start tapping away and tell me off for being honest. I know several Cornish people who totally agree with me. Think twice before moving here is my advice. Living here is not the same as being on holiday. The locals do not all offer a warm welcome. Some trades people think it's funny and clever to rip off an emmit. I now import work men from the other side of the Tamar, it's a lot cheaper and more reliable. The weather is often awful and retail prices are high and wages are low.

Moving abroad isn't always the answer either as 70% of those who do so return to the UK.

Anybody who thinks that a holiday experience where you are mainly dealing with people who want to be nice to you (not just cynically to take your money, if you run a gift shop, B&B etc. you do that partly because you like meeting and talking to new people) will be replicated when you live somewhere permanently is at best naive. Look at these relocate abroad TV shows, the optimistic stupidity of these people is palpable.

The hostility to the incomer is probably is worse in Cornwall than most of England because many people who do not work in the tourist trade resent, to a greater or lesser degree, the increased traffic, the crowds on the beach, the frequent bad behaviour of younger tourists and the relentless development and distorted housing market caused by holiday lets and second homes.

Still, at least the relentless development has stopped.

But I would doubt you could go anywhere and receive the warm welcome you seem to be expecting.

Guest KingCharles1st

I will never forget the "beach experience" I stumbled on a few years back during summer holidays in Cornwall.

We found a beautiful beach down near land's End, but the beach was physically split into two sections by a feature of the landscape. One side of the beach was inhabited by "normal" people as well as the locals, yet the other was inhabited by scattered family groupings of well to do peeps. Basically no interaction, the wife/gf arranged with the small Tarquinettes all playing at a very close distance to the "nest," yet the male of the group was a little separate, and every single one was deeply involved within the pages of the FT... lovely.

I will never forget the "beach experience" I stumbled on a few years back during summer holidays in Cornwall.

We found a beautiful beach down near land's End, but the beach was physically split into two sections by a feature of the landscape. One side of the beach was inhabited by "normal" people as well as the locals, yet the other was inhabited by scattered family groupings of well to do peeps. Basically no interaction, the wife/gf arranged with the small Tarquinettes all playing at a very close distance to the "nest," yet the male of the group was a little separate, and every single one was deeply involved within the pages of the FT... lovely.

That sounds like Rock!

My partner and I moved down here in 2004 in the hope that we'd like the way of life down here. All I can say is that we both can't wait to move "up country" again. I know not all Cornish people are narrow minded racists but we are both rather fed up of being reminded we aren't local and we are responsible for high property prices in the area.

Well what do you expect you're not local and you are responsible, a small effort to intigrate might help but in my small north cornish village house prices have risen around 400% since 2001 so i for one will be glad to see the back of you lot! And for some reason theres an ever growing forest of for sales signs going up here can't think why!

;)

An absolutely astounding post...you are talking about a County of England and not some foreign land!

Well what do you expect you're not local and you are responsible, a small effort to intigrate might help but in my small north cornish village house prices have risen around 400% since 2001 so i for one will be glad to see the back of you lot! And for some reason theres an ever growing forest of for sales signs going up here can't think why!

;)

Shouldn't you be a bit more pissed off with second-home owners?

But you could be right with respect to OP's integration, being potentially troublesome anywhere you move to, not just Cornwall.

..... we are both rather fed up of being reminded we aren't local and we are responsible for high property prices in the area.

You should remind them it was 'locals' who sold their houses to incomers and then scarpered with the loot. I believe it is the same in Wales and parts of North Yorkshire where I am from.

Not really sure what you expected.

Cornwall dosn't need anymore life discontented people moving here and bloody well moaning about it. Just leave and do us all a favour.

I am a regular visitor to West Cornwall and the insularity amongst many of the locals is quote astonishing. I have met some who have never left the county, even for a holiday. One one hand, I can understand their resentment of second home owning 'foreigners' pushing up house prices but at the same time, without us emmits there would be no tourist trade and the county would be even poorer. While it is a beautiful county, it can also seem very bleak and unwelcoming to 'outsiders' and for that reason I don't think I could ever live there permanently.

The Cornish are a bunch of twats. Why anyone would want to live amongst those that haven't jumped on the evolutionary bandwagon is beyond me. They're still looking for that opposing thumb.

I know exactly what you mean though, this insular attitude that they have. Can't stand them and I would never live there because of it.

:D how delicious!

Opposable.

It's an opposable thumb.

Thank you for this treat.

May the spirit of goodwill follow you throughout the coming year!

I think I should run to the defense of my Celtic cousins - the Cornish have definitely good close ties with Brittany and Wales, so they're not that insular (or inbred for that matter) - indeed - their tin miners have travelled the world and - as with many other coastal areas - I expect people have been coming and going for centuries. Perhaps they're not as friendly as you might hope, but try my part of Wales :lol: Or how about some of the European skiing areas where they call the visitors 'wallets' :o

What I do know is Cornwall's one of the UK's poorest counties - and a very tough place to live - if you went on holiday to an urban area exhibiting similar levels of economic dysfunction, you'd probably experience far worse (try parts of Bristol or somewhere nice in the East End?). Just because it's rural, doesn't mean there ain't poverty with all the nasty side-effects.

Edited by gruffydd

You'll never integrate if you take that kind of approach.

people who aren't Cornish should really only go on holiday down there in the summertime. Yes, it is utterly bleak in the winter and yes, the Cornish keep to themselves - you can throw whatever insults you like by way of explanation for that insularity, but the fact remains. The Cornish are not affable yokels - they are suspicious, hostile, proud and unfriendly to outsiders. Even the Romans didn't try to settle any further down than Devon - they thought the Celts were savages. So, to keep it simple, don't even try to live there - let prices settle back down to what the locals can afford, because they don't want to take the cash and move somewhere else anyway - they'd have to live with a bunch of emmits then. Let them just pretend to be nice to you in the summertime and go away with a pleasant memory.

Well as a Taff who stayed in Cornwall after my last military tour finished here 20 years ago , I feel qualified to comment on this post , and to be fair while there are pockets of the' bloody outsiders ' mentality here its no worse than many many other parts of the UK . I personally have not recieved a single comment about being an outsider in all that time , in my long years here ,I have never heard complaints about outsiders pushing the house prices up if they live and contribute to the area they purchase in , BUT I have heard , and share the utter frustration at second home owners who pay less council tax and arrive with all their shopping neatly in the back of the chelsea tractor . This was exactly the same where I was born in Wales.

There is no doubt that this area has its faults and problems , but on the whole I'm glad I chose life here than life in the 'big city' Horses for Courses etc.

Edited by Toptaffybachboyobutty

Well as a Taff who stayed in Cornwall after my last military tour finished here 20 years ago , I feel qualified to comment on this post , and to be fair while there are pockets of the' bloody outsiders ' mentality here its no worse than many many other parts of the UK . I personally have not recieved a single comment about being an outsider in all that time , in my long years here ,I have never heard complaints about outsiders pushing the house prices up if they live and contribute to the area they purchase in , BUT I have heard , and share the utter frustration at second home owners who pay less council tax and arrive with all their shopping neatly in the back of the chelsea tractor . This was exactly the same where I was born in Wales.

There is no doubt that this area has its faults and problems , but on the whole I'm glad I chose life here than life in the 'big city' Horses for Courses etc.

I'm guessing it helps being a Welshman ;)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aV5JESfaZ1c

PS. To the Romans, anybody who wasn't Roman was a barbarian.

http://www.cornishnotenglish.com

http://www.thisisnotcornwall.co.uk

http://www.thecornishdemocrat.blogspot.com

http://duchyofcornwall.eu/

Edited by gruffydd

rex,

I see from your profile you are from Cornwall ( Kernow )

Why are you on east side of the Tamar. Exeter I believe you posted before.

Taking our jobs, bidding up houseprices beyond the reach of the locals.

We don’t want to live with a bunch of Cornish Crockles.

I am technically Cornish because my parents moved here and I was born here, but I do not consider myself truly Cornish as I am highly intelligent and over 4 ft in height.

Regrettably, I moved back to Cornwall 18 years ago and I have been trying to move back to 'civilisation' ever since.

Back when I was growing up, Cornwall was lovely - quiet roads, quiet beaches and much, much cheaper living. Even property was cheaper.

Unfortunately, every Tom, Dick and Harry now wants to live here and it is because of this that the very county itself has been spoiled. If you have moved here within the last 10 years, you have missed the boat. You are not seeing the real Cornwall anymore.

Now everything has come to a head - gridlocked roads, no room to walk or breathe because someone else has got there before you, no work, no money, £2000 council tax for a small cottage (and it just keeps going up every year for no apparent reason or logic), £800 water rates, can't sell ..... the list goes on. How much more piss take do we have to endure to live in a county with no prospects or much in the way of facilities. The rich home counties are far cheaper. No rip off prices for drinks/food and the locals are intelligent and don't keep asking you stupid questions like 'where do you come from? It's alright for you coming down here with your posh money and your posh house, taking our jobs (jobs that they couldn't possibly be capable of doing themselves anyway) and 'who's driving?' (that's after drinking 1/2 a pint at the bar).

People always say they move here for better quality of life! What quality, what life? The kids have no schools to go to because they are already full and if they get that far, no prospects after they have left, so they end up leaving the county anyway in order to get a reasonable life. All you end up with is a negative bank balance and a group of thickies to talk to in your local. I can't wait to leave this hell hole!

Edited by tplatt

Should have done your homework!! Move back quick before the council take all your money!

rex,

I see from your profile you are from Cornwall ( Kernow )

Why are you on east side of the Tamar. Exeter I believe you posted before.

Taking our jobs, bidding up houseprices beyond the reach of the locals.

We don’t want to live with a bunch of Cornish Crockles.

Now I know what Kernow means! Are they the stickers on the back of cars with a cross on? I thought it meant kenlowe electric fans a throw back to the 70's?!

We can all play that silly little insular game so how would you feel about paying £500 a truck to use a Kentish port or an non London environs charge to use Stanstead, Heathrow or Gatwick?

So instead of using the word Crockle how about hard working Londoner who funds your county, go back to your cider and break some more looms or whatever happens when the lights go out at 10.30.

By the way Plank is spot on! :P

Edited by Greg Bowman

Come to Surrey.

There is no Surrey Nationalist organisation, we have beautiful countryside, London is on our doorstep and we are just half an hour from the ferries to the mainland.

Of course you will still rub shoulders with the Cornish people who flock here with many others to work in London, and the house prices are high as a result, but there is no culture of exclusion here at least.