House Price Crash Forum

Platinum+palladium Better Than Gold+silver

HOLA441
When I started this thread and bought Pt and Pd in December 08 I based my decision on these historical charts from Kitco:

http://66.38.218.33/LFgif/pd92-pres.gif

http://66.38.218.33/LFgif/pt92-pres.gif

Since a lot of mines have been mothballed I think there should be a spike if/when automotive demand picks up again. Prices would have to rise to a level worth opening those mines before they do. There is just so much hot air spouted by gold bugs that I'm glad I didn't get much of it. Platinum and Palladium is where it's at.

Thing is they're both industrial metals and industry is going through the biggest downturn ever seen. Not to say that there isn't plenty of money to be made from their volatility.

However, the beauty of gold is that its primary use in the world is as a store of value/currency, therefore industrial demand doesn't have as much of an effect on it as the other metals. This makes it the perfect monetary metal as industrial demand is never likely to deplete it leading to deflation and newly mined gold is only produced at a max 2% per annum, perfect for a currency that promotes healthy economic growth.

There are many people with money left looking to 'maintain value' in these uncertain times, hence the popularity of gold, as it is the ultimate currency.

Speculate with other metals by all means and good luck. But gold is last chair in the game of musical chairs now being played.

Edited by General Congreve

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Thing is they're both industrial metals and industry is going through the biggest downturn ever seen. Not to say that there isn't plenty of money to be made from their volatility.

However, the beauty of gold is that its primary use in the world is as a store of value/currency, therefore industrial demand doesn't have as much of an effect on it as the other metals. This makes it the perfect monetary metal as industrial demand is never likely to deplete it leading to deflation and newly mined gold is only produced at a max 2% per annum, perfect for a currency that promotes healthy economic growth.

There are many people with money left looking to 'maintain value' in these uncertain times, hence the popularity of gold, as it is the ultimate currency.

Speculate with other metals by all means and good luck. But gold is last chair in the game of musical chairs now being played.

Nonsense. You're another one trying to talk up Gold, thanks for proving my point.

It's performance in relation to the crisis (and compared with Pt and Pd) has been below mediocre and it's price will drop as we pull through the bottom of the recession. The world is full of Gold, even chavs wear it. It survives mostly on hype and BS. The blatant fact that a drastic bullion coin shortage has barely affected spot but hugely driven up dealer premiums proves it. You don't speculate on gold, you essentially bet on it and the world is full of people who'll want to dump it the moment things start to look more rosy. People are already thinking changing back to stocks again.

However there is less than a year's worth of Pt andPd above ground and very few open mines, so you stick with gold and I'll cash in when industry desperately looks for Pt+Pd again.

Edited by Diversified

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Don't know if any of you read this:

http://www.platinum.matthey.com/uploaded_f...publication.pdf

It's a market analysis (probably the most reputable one) of the platinum group metals, mainly platinum, some palladium with a small section on Rhodium (essentially a by-product of the Pt extraction) and the other precious metals.

Full of interesting info for investors.

HOLA446
HOLA447
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA448
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410
palladium.jpg

(daily chart - so not confirmed as yet)

well, three days later and I would say it is confirmed; the multi-month resistance has been broken, perhaps it is too early to call it a support line as yet but we shall see going forward

pd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4411
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4412
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I'm glad the platinum and palladium worked out for you, but I do think gold has an advantage that these metals don't. Gold as others have said straddles the line between currency and commodity. This has the advantage of protecting it from variances in the industrial demand but makes it susceptible to variance due to market confidence.

Although it worked out this time it could just as easily have backfired. Arguably the commodities benefitted from confidence returning, whereas gold suffered. If things had gotten worse in the last few months gold could of come out ahead (or not, I'm no financial expert!)

HOLA4417

I guess anything you do has the capacity to backfire especially if it involves money - the best we can do is use the most logical outcomes , this must be hard on a daily or weekly basis but on longer term outcomes it becomes perhaps a bit more predicable

If for example electric cars were predicted to become the norm (they probably will) then copper will be used for the motors each car having say 50 kilos each and then the millions of cars on the road would require a huge demand for copper you could reasonably expect the price for copper to go up over time

But Im sure that the past is littered with logical losers- I just hope that Im not amongst them !!!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I'm glad the platinum and palladium worked out for you, but I do think gold has an advantage that these metals don't. Gold as others have said straddles the line between currency and commodity. This has the advantage of protecting it from variances in the industrial demand but makes it susceptible to variance due to market confidence.

Although it worked out this time it could just as easily have backfired. Arguably the commodities benefitted from confidence returning, whereas gold suffered. If things had gotten worse in the last few months gold could of come out ahead (or not, I'm no financial expert!)

I take the view that the non-commodity part of Gold is no different to any fiat currency: It's only worth as much as people are willing to give you for it, like glass beads or bits of paper with vacuous promises. It's the practical need for it in products that is Gold's non-fiat value. There is so much of it around that industry isn't likely to go short for a long time. The chains dangling from chavs are a few months industry supply alone.

IMO PT+PD haven't achieved their full price yet, industry is still running on stocks from the global downturn, demand for vehicle catalytic converters is still low and the mines that were shut down haven't reopened. They won't until the price has risen high enough to make it worthwhile. Until then I expect PT+PD prices to go up because of shortage of supply and increasing vehicle demand. The main risk is some major innovation in catalytic conversion, in which case a price rise will just be postponed until stocks run low.

My original precious metal investment was 17.5% gold, 40% Platinum and 42.5% Palladium. Don't let the Gold bugs bite you.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4420
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4421

http://www.mineweb.com/mineweb/view/mineweb/en/page34?oid=93944&sn=Detail

Shanghai's gold exchange to start trading palladium

The exchange's chairman told a conference in the city it will launch trading the metal next year once government approval has been received

Posted: Thursday , 03 Dec 2009

SHANGHAI (Reuters) -

The Shanghai Gold Exchange is set to launch trading of the precious metal palladium next year, the exchange chairman told a conference on Thursday.

"Palladium will soon be launched," said Shen Xiangrong, chairman of the Shanghai Gold Exchange. "The government approval process is nearing an end."

The launch still needs final approval from China's central bank, he said.

The precious metal may find a rising market in China as demand grows from car manufacturers, who use it as a catalytic converter to reduce toxic emissions from engine exhaust.

China's car production has soared in 2009 and, helped by government subsidies, the Chinese car market overtook the United States as the world's largest earlier this year. China has plenty of room to promote car sales further in 2010, a senior Chinese government official said on Tuesday.

Palladium XPD= is already traded globally and its value has doubled this year, helped by an association with gold XAU=.

Palladium is also popular as jewellery in China.

• 2 months later...
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

without doing any reaserch here, ireckon that the aformentioned is doing better than gold as of when you bought in, well done!

there, you have some praise, sweet dreams x

Thanks for the praise and yes, Palladium more than doubled and Platinum is up more than 50% since I started this thread in December '08.

HOLA4425