House Price Crash Forum

Exit Planet Bust

PopGun

If you want to just grin and bare it in the UK thats fine, the world has a lot more to offer.

Where would be good? That's a serious question by the way. I don't like heat, I like the weather here the way it is in the spring. Other than that, would be open to anything. I'm good with languages, so that wouldn't be a problem. My OH is a teacher. Would that help in trying to move outside the EU ?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bow to your superior knowledge.

How much better would this country be if only everyone spent all day ramping Gold on the internet and moaning about the Government?

I admit I hate this government - its sick, they are dirty debt pimps, they lie cheat and are immoral. But I guess you are a Labour troll - so these issues do not cut through your thick skin.

Can you please point to where I have ramped gold? Then I can test your comprehension <_<

HAL

I understand from a Dutch acquaintance that they're quite worried ... he reckoned they'd all end up living in Germany or around Arnhem :ph34r:

Taxation is high but not as bad as it used to be, I was on a marginal rate of 89% in the 1980s :o and being under 26 didn't help, they taxed the young more highly, don't know if that's still the case.

Also someone from the sickness-insurance company was liable to come round to your place if you called in sick, to make sure you weren't skiving.

1. I am not worried at all. Rising sea levels will mean rising levels of engineering ingenuity.

2. No, the minimum wage goes up with age (until 25 or so), but you are not taxed differently than older people.

3. That is still the case. We hate skivers.

Having "traveled a bit", I found it brought Britain's problems into sharp perspective, it spurned me on to get out - at least for a while. Its easy to 'just put up with it' in the UK, become blind to the vast social, economic and political problems. Sure, you can make yourself feel better by saying you are better off than some others, but when compared to other developed nations Britain is not in high standing.

Britain has a nasty little authoritarian government, crime is a daily experience("no its not" you yell - but those burned out cars, graffiti, that fly tipping, smashed in shop windows on Sunday morning and Saturday evening brawls - thats all crime and it is a part of the British experience), the weather is awful, the streets are dirty, the benefits culture is rife, the traffic is terrible, local government is spiteful and invasive, the cost of living is crippling, the taxation is painful and house prices are ridiculous.

If you want to just grin and bare it in the UK thats fine, the world has a lot more to offer.

Everywhere I've lived in the UK I've liked.

Kent - beautiful rural area, minimal crime, nice local community, safe.

Leicester - Vibrant, multi-cultural, cheap, easy access to nice countryside

Cambridge - Beautiful buildings, lots of highly paid employment, wide variety of stuff to do

I don't rule out living abroad, in fact I'd really like to one day but by living here I get the best of both worlds. In the time it takes you to get to the Bay of Islands I can be in a wide variety of countries on a £10 flight. I loved New Zealand it just felt too isolated from the world for my tastes.

Where would be good? That's a serious question by the way. I don't like heat, I like the weather here the way it is in the spring. Other than that, would be open to anything. I'm good with languages, so that wouldn't be a problem. My OH is a teacher. Would that help in trying to move outside the EU ?

I'm the same with heat. Its why I decided on New Zealand over Australia (that and the evil bugs).

Book a flight and try a few places. Canada, USA, Netherlands, NZ :P

Can you please point to where I have ramped gold? Then I can test your comprehension <_<

HAL

No amount of currency will cause you to part with your shiny metal and "the man" is keeping the price of gold too low with his lies....if I believed what you believed I'd be keeping it quiet and buying it up at the lower price (unless I was trying to ramp it and sell it) so I thank you for your public spirit.

In essence it does'nt matter what you invest in - it will all be worthless. Most of the real wealth is concentrated in the hands of the very few that need the rest to keep their interests going - they will subdue anyone and anything to keep their power and control.

If you are happy to go along with them then just do as they say and play the game for a meagre crust - if you are not then gold and a life of crime (or at least you need to break draconian financial laws) it has to be.

At the rate we are going there will be no private wealth - just debt slavery.

HAL

There must come a point into any hyperinflationary event when it would be virtually impossible to buy gold with fiat money at any price. i.e. no amount of government printed money would cause you to part with your gold. At what point will that be?

I also thought that the authorities would be able to predict this point and will have contingency plans in place to confescate gold before that point is reached - so it may be worth a quick round the table set of views as to when this would be.

I also though that numerous mechanisms would be used to try to hide the true market value of gold to prevent price discovery or to set low expectation for the price of gold. Many think that gold is being manipulated now and the true price is much higher but is being suppressed by dumping and propaganda.

No amount of currency will cause you to part with your shiny metal and "the man" is keeping the price of gold too low with his lies....if I believed what you believed I'd be keeping it quiet and buying it up at the lower price (unless I was trying to ramp it and sell it) so I thank you for your public spirit.

Again I will say to you - if you had read the thread and the question posed, it was a hypothetics what if we go hyperinflationary and gold goes exponential. There was no suggestion that people should or should not be buying the stuff. The point about no amount of fiat money for gold is part of the hypothetical - capiche!

Guess even after a second reading you still don't understand 1) what ramping is 2) what was originally said, then I have no choice but to reduce your comprehension score to 1/10 - must try harder!

Have a good evening.

Edited by IMHAL

Nope, self-employed in as an IT consultant. Only working 3 days a week (through choice) since the age of 27, never involved in any property development stuff. Far too lazy.

I just don't recognise the vision of the country I live in being portrayed lately on this site.

When I think of my friends I don't see people living vastly beyond their means I just see normal, nice people.

If I look around the area I live in I don't see vile, repelent, chavs. I see young couples with babies, families with a few older kids, pensioners going to the shops. When I go onto my sites I see normal people going about normal life.

Good point, ive often said if you stop reading the papers and watching the news, within your own community/life/bubble/family, most of us are having a good time with little to worry about.

Everywhere I've lived in the UK I've liked.

Kent - beautiful rural area, minimal crime, nice local community, safe.

Leicester - Vibrant, multi-cultural, cheap, easy access to nice countryside

Cambridge - Beautiful buildings, lots of highly paid employment, wide variety of stuff to do

I don't rule out living abroad, in fact I'd really like to one day but by living here I get the best of both worlds. In the time it takes you to get to the Bay of Islands I can be in a wide variety of countries on a £10 flight. I loved New Zealand it just felt too isolated from the world for my tastes.

That's quite enough of that positive thinking Timak. Take it somewhere where it's welcome! :rolleyes:

The UK is great for you, but I suspect many other places would be as well. I suspect you'll even deal with financial/social armageddon better than the miserable ones (you know who you are, boys and girls!) if it comes.

You should probably acknowledge that not everyone is lucky enough to be as clever and positive as you, but otherwise I agree with what you've said.

I've never managed to swing a 3-days-a-week contract, you managed to make even me jealous, damn you! :)

I actually just brought a house in the USA for $14,900 (£8k) and so I can leave. However im not a US citizen so I cant stay for more than 90 days.

You might want to consider that. Maybe a break is as good as a change. Getting out of England healthy, I didn't want to come back, but theres certain things you take for granted such as your understanding of the way things work, your inate ability to get work. I cant work in the US, and I dont know how things work. Did you know that in the US a number plate is owned by a person and not a car? I have a car, if I buy a new one I put the same numberplate from my old car to my new one. Its little things like that.

You can find property on www.realtor.com Detroit is really cheap, buy for $100, but I choose the sunshine state florida because I dont like frezing to death each winter. For me its ideal because I cant loose much. If you invest in emmigrating its a huge financial outlay and if it goes wrong your screwed. Benefit of US is that they speak English.

Florida, you best learn Spanish and prepare to knuckle down for hurricane season and spend 5k a year on house insurance, 3k on property taxes and 2k on flood insurance.

They seem to give property owners an easier time at immigration I think

Or you could argue that direct foreign investment will continue to pour into this country as, despite the impressions given on here that we are a country of lazy, chavvy thugs, we actually have one of the most innovative, educated and talented populations on the planet.

Where does this self-loathing come from?

A weak currency has virtually no benifit, I had to listen to dipshit cramer on TV for 2 or 3 years about how good the weak dollar was good for the economy and its exporters but I got nothing from it except higher energy and food prices.

Nobody I could see was investing in the USA they were all pulling their money out, everyone is to short term today and wont wait 5 years for the possible break even or small profit when they can just leave it in the bank.

You don't need talent when you can bulshit your **** off and sell a lie to a rich mug

It is true though, we are a country of 60m people yet have one of the worlds largest economies, we are one of the largest manufacturers, one of the largest suppliers of services, attract the highest amount of incoming investment of any country, we have a welfare state that means nobody has to live in poverty, we have free at the point of delivery health care, we have running water, electricity to every home, very cheap food, a free media (yes it is), only have to work 5 days a week, masses of different types of employment and a huge amount of entertainment options for our vast amount of leisure time.

60 million? are you just counting the illegals and government workers?

No one is going to invest in a country with a falling currency unless they can afford to lose the money

Both me and the misses work for the same company, and well basically the writing is on the wall. I doubt we will both be able to retain our employment status in six months.

Yet what other work is out there? After being made redundant five years ago, and slowly working my way back up again retraining in a different industry, there's no way I'm prepared to take a another minimum wage hit. If they think I'm going to slave away rebuilding my career only to be knocked down once again, they've got another thing coming.

The wife, despite having good qualifications, is only recently reaping rewards and earning a decent salary. Took her nearly ten years of shitty low paid work getting there mind.

So should the worst come to the worst, it looks like our only option for worthwhile employment is fleeing the UK Gulag!

But to where? The wife is close to her family, so anywhere further then Western Europe is out of the question :(

Spain/Eire/Italy appears to be toast so we are really stuck. I was thinking of France, as it’s nearby and my other half lived there for a year and can speak the lingo (helping me to learn too). Yet I’m still not sure. Has anyone one on here emmigrated to France? Or are there any other alternatives for a qualified childless couple in their early thirties?

Oh and as for the house, well, it can sell for a song as far as I care.

I think the most important thing is to learn French, without is near enough impossible to find work, and even with it depends where you are but hard to find. All so the culture is completely different to UK. I found we become quite isolated hear. But my advise would be rent hear for 5 months see how you feel first. Many people are very happy hear but many are not, It really depends on the person. I lived hear for 4 years some days I wake its the same every day same routines, I visited UK about 4 weeks ago and found my self so amazed how cheap everything is missed english food. baked beans are about 1.50 per tin here. Apart from wine which cost 80p bottle cheapo I feel its quite expensive in France....

Both me and the misses work for the same company, and well basically the writing is on the wall. I doubt we will both be able to retain our employment status in six months.

Yet what other work is out there? After being made redundant five years ago, and slowly working my way back up again retraining in a different industry, there's no way I'm prepared to take a another minimum wage hit. If they think I'm going to slave away rebuilding my career only to be knocked down once again, they've got another thing coming.

The wife, despite having good qualifications, is only recently reaping rewards and earning a decent salary. Took her nearly ten years of shitty low paid work getting there mind.

So should the worst come to the worst, it looks like our only option for worthwhile employment is fleeing the UK Gulag!

But to where? The wife is close to her family, so anywhere further then Western Europe is out of the question :(

Spain/Eire/Italy appears to be toast so we are really stuck. I was thinking of France, as it's nearby and my other half lived there for a year and can speak the lingo (helping me to learn too). Yet I'm still not sure. Has anyone one on here emmigrated to France? Or are there any other alternatives for a qualified childless couple in their early thirties?

Oh and as for the house, well, it can sell for a song as far as I care.

try brussels, belgium has a lot to offer..if you can get a job many brit's, french + other people are here working..brussels has eu,nato etc many big company HQ's are here..look on the internet you will see many job's on offer ..send in your CV you could be here in no time at all..

Edited by BXLONDONMAN

1. I am not worried at all. Rising sea levels will mean rising levels of engineering ingenuity.

2. No, the minimum wage goes up with age (until 25 or so), but you are not taxed differently than older people.

3. That is still the case. We hate skivers.

Theres probably going to be reasonable flood modelling and civil engineering opportunities. :)

I see theres a future in it! ;)

It is true though, we are a country of 60m people yet have one of the worlds largest economies, we are one of the largest manufacturers, one of the largest suppliers of services, attract the highest amount of incoming investment of any country, we have a welfare state that means nobody has to live in poverty, we have free at the point of delivery health care, we have running water, electricity to every home, very cheap food, a free media (yes it is), only have to work 5 days a week, masses of different types of employment and a huge amount of entertainment options for our vast amount of leisure time.

Yet all I read on here is moans about how the world is f*cked and how hard done by you are.

"Oh the interest on my £100k STR fund won't buy me as many Euro for my next ski-ing trip". Boo F*cking Hoo.

I'm with Timak on this one. There's way too much whingeing on this site. Compare UK 2008 with almost any other point in history or most other countries in the world today and decide if we're not in the top 5% of luckiest people in history. We don't have to worry about war, disease, famine, oppression...

OK things aren't perfect. When were they ever?

And it's interesting that people on here are so quick to lay into Timak for saying that things aren't as bad as some make out. OMG someone with a positive outloook on life, must be on benefits. F****ng idiots. Stop reading the Daily Mail and open your eyes. Who do you think suffers the most: those with a positive outlook or those who spend their whole time whining?