House Price Crash Forum

Exit Planet Bust

PopGun

HOLA441

I actually just brought a house in the USA for $14,900 (£8k) and so I can leave. However im not a US citizen so I cant stay for more than 90 days.

You might want to consider that. Maybe a break is as good as a change. Getting out of England healthy, I didn't want to come back, but theres certain things you take for granted such as your understanding of the way things work, your inate ability to get work. I cant work in the US, and I dont know how things work. Did you know that in the US a number plate is owned by a person and not a car? I have a car, if I buy a new one I put the same numberplate from my old car to my new one. Its little things like that.

You can find property on www.realtor.com Detroit is really cheap, buy for $100, but I choose the sunshine state florida because I dont like frezing to death each winter. For me its ideal because I cant loose much. If you invest in emmigrating its a huge financial outlay and if it goes wrong your screwed. Benefit of US is that they speak English.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
So should the worst come to the worst, it looks like our only option for worthwhile employment is fleeing the UK Gulag!

But to where? The wife is close to her family, so anywhere further then Western Europe is out of the question :(

Oh and as for the house, well, it can sell for a song as far as I care.

Rent it out. Don't burn all you bridges and come back destitute.

As I always say, wherever you go, you take your troubles and the drudgery with you, so try out somewhere completely different and do it for a year and for experience, not because the UK is getting you down. Gambia is only a 6 hour flight away, check out http://www.gambia-holiday-news.co.uk/ for info.

Edited by West Hampstead

HOLA445
I'd love to, unfortunately I don't see a way of achieving this without a pitchfork.

All very good advice so far. I forgot about Holland :)

My misses enjoyed living in France (after the initial culture shock) and I do think it's a beautiful country, I know it has problems but at least I could grow grapes.

Just getting some info about places, and I appreciate hearing people's experiences.

Sub Prime Finance :( Could be worse, at least I'm not an Estate Agent.

HA

HOLA446
Didnt we have a thread a few months back where Japanese people just snubbed English, getting out of swimming pools when they get in etc.

That's true about the swimming pools but Tokyo Expat is also 100% correct. Strange innit.

If you're fairly good looking, tall but not too tall, not too weird.....you have to fight them off with a stick.

HOLA447

I lived in Holland for 5 years, great place.

It's hard to learn Dutch as being multilingual is a point of national pride, you walk into a shop or start a conversation and get replies back in perfect english.

Take some marmite and brown sauce with you it's impossible to get over there and get used to cycling everywhere. The Some dutch also eat vla (cold, flavoured custard) for breakfast, with chocolate sprinkles on top and serve chips smothered in mayonnaise.

HOLA448
That's true about the swimming pools but Tokyo Expat is also 100% correct. Strange innit.

If you're fairly good looking, tall but not too tall, not too weird.....you have to fight them off with a stick.

Personally I'd rather stay here and be stared through fat, tattooed chain-smokers who say 'Oh my GOD!' all the time.

It's just my kink..

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Those that have the talent will leave, those that don't won't be able to emigrate.

You've also just made the long-term case against the £. At today's exchange rate, it's not just the productive, it's also the wealthy. For example, anyone with a decent pension pot can choose to take it elsewhere.

HOLA4411
You've also just made the long-term case against the £. At today's exchange rate, it's not just the productive, it's also the wealthy. For example, anyone with a decent pension pot can choose to take it elsewhere.

Or you could argue that direct foreign investment will continue to pour into this country as, despite the impressions given on here that we are a country of lazy, chavvy thugs, we actually have one of the most innovative, educated and talented populations on the planet.

Where does this self-loathing come from?

HOLA4412
Or you could argue that direct foreign investment will continue to pour into this country as, despite the impressions given on here that we are a country of lazy, chavvy thugs, we actually have one of the most innovative, educated and talented populations on the planet.

Where does this self-loathing come from?

I too would like a tranche of whatever this nice man is smoking.

HOLA4413
My advice: never move to another country for financial reasons. Only for cultural or political reasons.

Strange you think that the HPI apocalypse of 2001-07 was not cultural and political. The total and absolute spiritual dereliction of the 'nation' was expressed through HPI.

OP, I am filling in the job application forms right now.

HOLA4414
I too would like a tranche of whatever this nice man is smoking.

It is true though, we are a country of 60m people yet have one of the worlds largest economies, we are one of the largest manufacturers, one of the largest suppliers of services, attract the highest amount of incoming investment of any country, we have a welfare state that means nobody has to live in poverty, we have free at the point of delivery health care, we have running water, electricity to every home, very cheap food, a free media (yes it is), only have to work 5 days a week, masses of different types of employment and a huge amount of entertainment options for our vast amount of leisure time.

Yet all I read on here is moans about how the world is f*cked and how hard done by you are.

"Oh the interest on my £100k STR fund won't buy me as many Euro for my next ski-ing trip". Boo F*cking Hoo.

HOLA4415
It is true though, we are a country of 60m people yet have one of the worlds largest economies, we are one of the largest manufacturers, one of the largest suppliers of services, attract the highest amount of incoming investment of any country, we have a welfare state that means nobody has to live in poverty, we have free at the point of delivery health care, we have running water, electricity to every home, very cheap food, a free media (yes it is), only have to work 5 days a week, masses of different types of employment and a huge amount of entertainment options for our vast amount of leisure time.

Please tell me this is a joke.

Almost every single point is horribly wrong.

'A huge amount of entertainment options for our vast amount of leisure time'. Jesus wept.

HOLA4416

Yet all I read on here is moans about how the world is f*cked and how hard done by you are.

"Oh the interest on my £100k STR fund won't buy me as many Euro for my next ski-ing trip". Boo F*cking Hoo.

Hello! Planet Earth calling!!

HOLA4417
I lived in Holland for 5 years, great place.

It's hard to learn Dutch as being multilingual is a point of national pride, you walk into a shop or start a conversation and get replies back in perfect english.

Take some marmite and brown sauce with you it's impossible to get over there and get used to cycling everywhere. The Some dutch also eat vla (cold, flavoured custard) for breakfast, with chocolate sprinkles on top and serve chips smothered in mayonnaise.

My mate lived there for three years and became fluent.

Really like the way you paint your laziness in not learning the language as something you did out of respect for their multilingual pride.

That really is reaching!

HOLA4418
Please tell me this is a joke.

Almost every single point is horribly wrong.

'A huge amount of entertainment options for our vast amount of leisure time'. Jesus wept.

Nope, travel a bit, you'll see we have it pretty good here.

In no other country on earth could I earn as much as I do for working as little as I do.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Nope, travel a bit, you'll see we have it pretty good here.

In no other country on earth could I earn as much as I do for working as little as I do.

Dude, I've lived abroad for twelve years. Eight in Japan.

And life in the UK is an overpriced, drink-sodden, chav-mentality'd, undemocratic, filthy, broken, meaningless, violent, isolated, uncultured, confused, racist, classist, futureless, hopeless dystopian nightmare.

Can it be fixed? I don't know. I have tried to help and am exhausted. All that stops you topping yourself here is the people, the sense of humour, the resilence - lots of that on here. :)

I won't be here forever. I am hauling my substantial professional skills out of here. But meanwhile do me a favour: don't tell me to 'travel a bit'.

HOLA4421
I was thinking this, too, although they were not immune to the property bubble and there's always the small matter of rising sea levels... But a more vibrant economy and society altogether IMO.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Thereby hangs an all too familiar tale.

Wouldn't worry too much - the Dutch are masters in building sea walls.

Seriously though, I have wondered about emigrating to the Netherlands myself - it looks a pretty nice country, and fairly liberal too, which is always good.

I know nothing about the taxation though. Is it really that bad?

HOLA4422
Let me guess - your a pwopery developer or on benefits?

Nope, self-employed in as an IT consultant. Only working 3 days a week (through choice) since the age of 27, never involved in any property development stuff. Far too lazy.

I just don't recognise the vision of the country I live in being portrayed lately on this site.

When I think of my friends I don't see people living vastly beyond their means I just see normal, nice people.

If I look around the area I live in I don't see vile, repelent, chavs. I see young couples with babies, families with a few older kids, pensioners going to the shops. When I go onto my sites I see normal people going about normal life.

HOLA4423
Netherlands or France - former speaks better English than most Brits and is a wonderfully chilled out country. Not many hang-ups. Good health also as has France.

You will miss the scream manic depressives on Eastenders though.

Maybe we should all stay and fight for our country - try and to regain it from the numpties.

Im with you here.I have family in Aus and Canada and could emigrate easily but i refuse to give up my forefathers green and pleasant land,this scepted isle to new labour.Il go down with the ship if i have to but until then il do what ive done for 10 years.Tell every single person i know and work with the truth about Labour and Brown.

I work in an engineering company,42 of the lads voted Labour ,now 37 of them hate them after me working on them.The other 5 cant be changed as they live with girlfriends who are fiddling benefits so they love Labour as they get to live in a free house while earning £29 grand a year and their partners get full benefits,tax credits etc.

Says it all really.

Chins up your country needs you to fight this menace.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
repelent

Did I mention, a mass inability to use the native language which is quite unusual by global standards?

Nope, self-employed in as an IT consultant. Only working 3 days a week (through choice) since the age of 27, never involved in any property development stuff. Far too lazy.

I just don't recognise the vision of the country I live in being portrayed lately on this site.

When I think of my friends I don't see people living vastly beyond their means I just see normal, nice people.

If I look around the area I live in I don't see vile, repelent, chavs. I see young couples with babies, families with a few older kids, pensioners going to the shops. When I go onto my sites I see normal people going about normal life.

All of which begs the question while you're telling others to 'travel a bit', what's your frame of comparison? Compared to where does the UK really look like the hetero white middle-class wonderland of your description?

Or, having brought it up yourself, do you not now accept that I do have the perspective to make these judgments?