House Price Crash Forum

Renting Question Regarding End Of Ast

Now or never

HOLA441

My contract is up for renewal in March and I want to leave asap, if the LL doesn't want to renew the contract and gives 2 months notice with a date to vacate (being the end of the contract) can I leave before that date (a month earlier) rather than stay to the end of the contract?

Your advice would be appreciated as I want to know whether I would have no choice but to pay to the end of the agreement, or if I have rights because the LL issues possesion. I'm aware if I give 1 month's notice I'm obliged to pay til the end of the agreement.

Thanks.

HOLA442
My contract is up for renewal in March and I want to leave asap, if the LL doesn't want to renew the contract and gives 2 months notice with a date to vacate (being the end of the contract) can I leave before that date (a month earlier) rather than stay to the end of the contract?

Your advice would be appreciated as I want to know whether I would have no choice but to pay to the end of the agreement, or if I have rights because the LL issues possesion. I'm aware if I give 1 month's notice I'm obliged to pay til the end of the agreement.

Thanks.

BTW you wont get 2 months at the end, the Agency/LL will serve section 21 with notice before the end of the contract.

The usual trick is to get you on the "you are liable for all landlords costs" clause and hit you for the month(s) landlord agency fees if you leave early. It really does depend on your specific contract and whether it contains a break clause though. (most do not)

I know I always repeat this but make sure the Landlord/Agency properly registered your security deposit... if they did not you have nothing to worry about and they do not have a leg to stand on... check now, if they haven't keep your mouth shut and present them with the fact when you want to leave and demand your full deposit back.

HOLA443
BTW you wont get 2 months at the end, the Agency/LL will serve section 21 with notice before the end of the contract.

The usual trick is to get you on the "you are liable for all landlords costs" clause and hit you for the month(s) landlord agency fees if you leave early. It really does depend on your specific contract and whether it contains a break clause though. (most do not)

I know I always repeat this but make sure the Landlord/Agency properly registered your security deposit... if they did not you have nothing to worry about and they do not have a leg to stand on... check now, if they haven't keep your mouth shut and present them with the fact when you want to leave and demand your full deposit back.

thank you - appreciated

HOLA444
thank you - appreciated

Tried to find my previous post regarding deposit protection but can't, anyway here is a link that gives the contact details of all of the schemes, if you do not have your UID code or the name of the scheme then call them to see if they have your details

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TenancyDeposit/DG_066391

EDIT: If you find that your deposit isn't registered then let me know and I will look up the post with the details of the Housing Act clauses that are relevant and should be quoted to your agency/LL

Edited by Bubble&Squeak