House Price Crash Forum
ajay

I Want To Buy A Netbook/laptop

I want to buy a netbook, i dont need one but i want to the sort of trendy person that is a part of cafe culture, i live near foxtons in islington, so i have been watching the prices go low they started at £350 i have now seen one on the net for £135 +£6.99 inc vat.

I just wonder what the price will be in January 2009.

I want to buy a netbook, i dont need one but i want to the sort of trendy person that is a part of cafe culture, i live near foxtons in islington, so i have been watching the prices go low they started at £350 i have now seen one on the net for £135 +£6.99 inc vat.

I bought a Toshibe Satellite at John Lewis (recommended - wont be beaten on price and you get a 2 year warranty and decent customer service included) in May for £378 and the same one was heading down to around 330 or so about a month ago, in the run up to xmas!

My Mrs wants one now so we plan to wait and catch one in January - but get one from the existing unsold overstocks as once these all sell out there will be inflation in the next supplies as they would have been bought by the stores using the much weaker £.

Was your £135 item a refurb? Post a link....

I bought a Toshibe Satellite at John Lewis (recommended - wont be beaten on price and you get a 2 year warranty and decent customer service included) in May for £378 and the same one was heading down to around 330 or so about a month ago, in the run up to xmas!

My Mrs wants one now so we plan to wait and catch one in January - but get one from the existing unsold overstocks as once these all sell out there will be inflation in the next supplies as they would have been bought by the stores using the much weaker £.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/7-CnM-miniB...lot-3xUSB-Linux

most netbooks at this price dont have wifi this does, bear in mind a 7" screen is quite small so it would not be good as a main laptop only when you were travelling, i would probably go for a 10" or 12" as i think smaller than this is a gimick.

Edited by goldman

Can't find one at that price but this is a 7" screen Asus Eee PC for just under £144.00 inc. VAT.

Link

The bigger screen Acer Aspire can be had for around £175.00.

depends on what you buy. If you want a real laptop dual core expect to pay 500 quid+, you can probably pick up a cheap low power netbook with a CPU you would normally found in a high end mobile phone running linux for under 100quid, or get one free when you buy broadband/new mobile.

Edited by moosetea

I wouldnt recommend buying an acer untill they sort out their customer service. Nice powerfull cheap stuff, but when it goes wrong you are left wishing you had bought a toshiba.

Try ebuyer.co.uk. Folks with long memorys will tell you to steer clear but for the last couple of years they have had massive stock, low prices, great customer services etc.

Remember the amont of ram will have a much greater effect on performance than cpu speed with most laptops. WHen comparing models goto crucial.com and get a price for a ram upgrade and you may find you can spend £20 and double the ram on a cheaper machine, thus saving a packet.

then again im drunk so what would I KNIOW.

depends on what you buy. If you want a real laptop dual core expect to pay 500 quid+, you can probably pick up a cheap low power netbook with a CPU you would normally found in a high end mobile phone running linux for under 100quid, or get one free when you buy broadband/new mobile.

£500+? Where the hell do you go shopping, Harrods?

I bought a Lenovo Core 2 Duo, for £380 brand new about 8 months ago.

As for those talking about the pile of poo below, don't touch it.

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?...mp;tid=minibook

I got a Dell Vostro 1400 for about £300 including an £80 wireless keyboard & mouse set (all in) Wifi Dual core 1.8Ghz 1g ram 160gb hard drive 14" screen good little machine - Only problem is the graphics processor is known to have a fatal flaw so moral of the story is DO NOT get a notebook with an NVIDEA 8400 or 8600 chip set cos every single processor ever made is knackered. Dell have given an extended warranty mind but some companies are ignoring the problem.

Edited by ollk

£500+? Where the hell do you go shopping, Harrods?

I bought a Lenovo Core 2 Duo, for £380 brand new about 8 months ago.

As for those talking about the pile of poo below, don't touch it.

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?...mp;tid=minibook

looks very good for the price, perhaps to good, what is wrong with laptops with these specs..

Ok, owned by a guy called Mr Bullock

http://www.cclonline.com/help-aboutus.asp

Edited by goldman

looks very good for the price, perhaps to good, what is wrong with laptops with these specs..

That has a screen resolution of 800x400 which would make it quite difficult to read web pages. Most pages are made for a screen displaying 1024x768. Also the memory is titchy.

That has a screen resolution of 800x400 which would make it quite difficult to read web pages. Most pages are made for a screen displaying 1024x768. Also the memory is titchy.

Thanks for that information i have never considered screen resolution when purchasing a laptop.

"I don't need one but I want to be a trendy person"............ROFLMFAO.. what a twit, or a wind up for sure, suckers.

I said tw@t not twit, nice one mods!

Edited by piston broke

"I don't need one but I want to be a trendy person"............ROFLMFAO.. what a twit, or a wind up for sure, suckers.

I said tw@t not twit, nice one mods!

When we make purchasing decisions we have a wide range of reasons i always try to be honest with myself and others, some people laugh at that but this is the internet and you dont know me so why do i need to lie.

As shakespeare said "to yourself be true"

I dont really smoke or drink or drive much any more my one vice is buying gadgets.

I don't think you 're a liar, just a tw&t or a flatulent pain in the ass, as Morrisey said.

Has Morrisey come out of the closet yet, or is he still a liar to himself and others.

And there is nothing wrong with that :D

THANKS..

THANKS..

be a bit careful, if you spend a bit more, 250+, you'll be into the territory where you get windows xp and 120gb and good resolution. The 8gb netbooks are just toys. There were some cracking deals about on a HP netbook for 200, but its OS is Linux, which you'll have to rip it out IMHO, sad but inevitable. Here's a link, have to say this is a good deal;

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145008

be a bit careful, if you spend a bit more, 250+, you'll be into the territory where you get windows xp and 120gb and good resolution. The 8gb netbooks are just toys. There were some cracking deals about on a HP netbook for 200, but its OS is Linux, which you'll have to rip it out IMHO, sad but inevitable. Here's a link, have to say this is a good deal;

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145008

That HP is trash I'm afraid, the processor just isn't up to it. Best keyboard out of all the netbooks, and a nice screen , but far too slow.

I've tried all of them in the past few days, and ended up with the medion (from argos due to cashback deals), its a MSI wind copy.

folks

mother in law is after a laptop for £300

whats the best value out there at the mo at that price??

I have a Acer Aspire One running Windows XP which I got for a tad under £300.

Runs XP perfectly well, has about 120Gb hard drive, wireless built in, can run MS Office'07 at a decent speed.

No bigger than a large hardback book.

Asus eeepc 901 with Linux here. Decent screen, rubbish keyboard (so I have usb keyboard if more typing needed) and fantastic battery life.

If all you need it for is web browsing, video/IM chat, listening to music and basic documents then it's ace.

slightly tangentially I was at a developer conference recently, quite a small intimate affair with < 60 people there that lasted a couple of days and everyone got to know everyone else.

Now, everyone had cute little notebooks and there was the usual split of EEE's, Macbooks and Windows based machines however the one device that pretty much everyone did a geeky double-take over was something that was slightly smaller than an EEE with an OK screen but was pretty thin. Turns out it was a thin client for a Smartphone, over Bluetooth I guess, but as it was only a display and keyboard with all the work being done on the phone itself, the battery life was reportedly > 12 hrs and it booted up almost instantly.

Not sure if it was this one, but it's the same sort of thing:

http://www.celiocorp.com/

Edit to add:

UK link to Expansys

Edited by OMG

Bit of a gadget freek and had pretty much everything.

I was an early adopted on the eee PC which was the first of the SD based cheap notebooks, the 7" screen is fine as a display but as mentioned before the resolution of 800x600 is terrible for web browsing, it's usable but definitely a pain, I'd go for the 9-10". When I upgraded I went for the Acer, much better screen but I'm not too happy with the software, thought the ASUS was much better on that front. Then again the keyboard on the ASUS is too small where as the Acer is much better, couldn't get much more than a precise one finger type on the ASUS but the Acer is more like a normal keyboard to use.

Somebody said these things are toys, not really true but I wouldn't have one as my main laptop, the big advantages are of course are that they are ultra portable, but on the flip side, for me at least, the battery life is poor for something which is designed to be carried about, this is especially true with WiFi switched on. The other big advantage which is why I use it is the quick start up time, you can be on the internet in 20 seconds or so.

When we make purchasing decisions we have a wide range of reasons i always try to be honest with myself and others, some people laugh at that but this is the internet and you dont know me so why do i need to lie.

As shakespeare said "to yourself be true"

I dont really smoke or drink or drive much any more my one vice is buying gadgets.

I have bought my Nan a gadget for Christmas, its a battery powered Jar opener!

She is 83 and had an opperation on her arm and really struggles. Everytime I go and see her there is a jar that wants opening. Now I'll still go and see her but she'll be able to do it when she wants to.

My forcast is for this £16 gadget to become the most loved gift by her this Christmas. She'll love it.

Also going to spash out and get her the automatic tin opener as well I think as she strugges with that.