House Price Crash Forum

Gyms...

HOLA441
Gyms are actually good value for money in comparrison to most things, and I guess lots of people will go without other stuff first before giving up their gym membership. i pay £45 a month, can work out, swim , use the showers any day i want.

I do agree though if things got really bad its a luxury that people will give up eventually.

£45 a month for somthing you can essentially get for free by running, chopping wood and walking. How is that good value?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Most gyms went to the wall a long time ago. A gym is a place where serious people go to train hard. Squat rack, bench press and a small selection of cardio equipment. The quality of a gym can IMO be judged on the weight of the dumbells on the rack. If the heaviest dumbell is 30 kgs its not a gym but a posing parlour, coffee house or creche. If the dumbells go to 60 kgs it a gym. No building without a squat rack is a gym. Squats are the cornerstone of all training for all sports. They produce more testosterone release than any other exercise. But they hurt. So people in 'health clubs' avoid them. Its hard to drink a coffee and chat to other equally weak minded people if you are feeling sick from metabolic acidosis after a heavy squat session.

What you refer to is a 'health club'. They are not gyms and the amount of 'serious trainers' can be counted on the fingers on one hand, even if they have 1000+ membership numbers. Because the trainers are not serious, they will cut back on the 'over priced' membership as soon as they are short of money. The few serious gyms still left will do just fine as the membership is made up of people who train to get fit rather than drink coffee. Fewer overheads and more loyal membership will probably help a lot of gyms out. Falling rents will help too.

You can call it what you like, I think fitness club is a better term perhaps.

HOLA443
Most gyms went to the wall a long time ago. A gym is a place where serious people go to train hard. Squat rack, bench press and a small selection of cardio equipment. The quality of a gym can IMO be judged on the weight of the dumbells on the rack. If the heaviest dumbell is 30 kgs its not a gym but a posing parlour, coffee house or creche. If the dumbells go to 60 kgs it a gym. No building without a squat rack is a gym. Squats are the cornerstone of all training for all sports. They produce more testosterone release than any other exercise. But they hurt. So people in 'health clubs' avoid them. Its hard to drink a coffee and chat to other equally weak minded people if you are feeling sick from metabolic acidosis after a heavy squat session.

What you refer to is a 'health club'. They are not gyms and the amount of 'serious trainers' can be counted on the fingers on one hand, even if they have 1000+ membership numbers. Because the trainers are not serious, they will cut back on the 'over priced' membership as soon as they are short of money. The few serious gyms still left will do just fine as the membership is made up of people who train to get fit rather than drink coffee. Fewer overheads and more loyal membership will probably help a lot of gyms out. Falling rents will help too.

Agreed

HOLA444
I hope they can hang on in there for a while. I use the local council run gym (mainly use free weights, which they still have) and it has been mercifully free of iPod wearing metrosexuals talking on their iPhones while they 'work out' up until now.

I've used both the private more expensive gyms and the council run gyms and have to say I much prefer the council run cheaper ones. Not just because they are cheaper - I love seeing 'ordinary' people.... the overweight working class man on the bike while reading the Daily Star/ Mirror.... you just know they are there under strict instuctins from the doctor and they meet up with similar men and have a bit of fun!'

The private gyms have more of a 'image' based person, who are there to 'meet people' and show off thinking they are something! Sad really but that is what I have noticed!

I love my council gym!!!!! ;)

HOLA445
Squats are the cornerstone of all training for all sports. They produce more testosterone release than any other exercise.

I can think of another that you can do at home for free! ;)

Seriously though I agree - have never seen the point of cardio stuff in gyms, as their benefits can be got by actually walking, running, climbing stairs or cycling in the 'real' world. I use the gym for stuff that you can't easily get elsewhere, ie lifting weights and swimming. Do we even need weights anyway - can't most muscles be worked isometrically (pushups, pullups etc) or is that hopelessly outdated now?

HOLA446

I have never understood this whole gym membership thing. Where I live we have some wonderful cycle paths in the countryside and some of the nicest mountains and scenery within 40 minutes drive or train ride. Yet these bozo's would rather fork out £50 a month or whatever to sit on a cycling machine looking over a main road for 2 hours at a time.

These trendy gyms are another symbol of the last 10 years. It was another must have for the Soya Latte drinking, I wanna be like Rachel and Chandler from Friends generation bunch of w@nkers.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Since when has a gym been a place for training hard with heavy weights? That's a far more modern use for the word (bodybuilding is a pretty new past time) than a place for general exercise, much like how most people use a gym.

Edited by terryturbojr

HOLA449

I have a swim-only membership at our local gym. Gave up smoking in March, and promptly put on 2 stone (went from my very skinny 9st to 11st).

I don't mind being 11st at all - I just didn't want it all on my stomach...

The thing is, it's not really a gym - it was the council pool, with a small private gym that seemed to pop up overnight. Then the council handed the running of the whole thing over to the gym company as far as I can tell..

HOLA4410

Seriously though I agree - have never seen the point of cardio stuff in gyms, as their benefits can be got by actually walking, running, climbing stairs or cycling in the 'real' world. I use the gym for stuff that you can't easily get elsewhere, ie lifting weights and swimming. Do we even need weights anyway - can't most muscles be worked isometrically (pushups, pullups etc) or is that hopelessly outdated now?

I love running on the treadmill and much prefer it to running outside because:

I don't stand on dog cr@p on my treadmill, it isn't icy or wet, I don't get window cleaners whistling at me, car horns beeping, freezing wind blowing into my face, cyclist trying to run me over..... in general it is a much safer and pleasanter environment than running outside.

Also my gym has a childminding facility - £2.50 per hour........ very handy! The membership is only £20 per month..... I wouldn't pay any more.

Edited by sophia

HOLA4411

I don't stand on dog cr@p on my treadmill, it isn't icy or wet, I don't get window cleaners whistling at me, car horns beeping, freezing wind blowing into my face, cyclist trying to run me over..... in gerneral it is a much safer and pleasanter environment than running outside.

Also my gym has a childminding facility - £2.50 per hour........ very handy! The membership is only £20 per month..... I wouldn't pay any more.

Totally agree, I only ever run on the treadmill. I think I can train harder as you have your drink there for you to keep hydrated. In addition to that, my knees take quite a bashing with squash and running, so I would rather keep the impact down to a minimum which a treadmill does quite nicely.

I dont understand the snobbery about what can be called a gym, strikes me as a bit anoraky.

HOLA4412
I would have thought the more upmarket ones will suffer, to the benefit of the cheaper brands. I go to fitness first, managed to get a £30 a month membership (central London) which I think is pretty reasonable for the amount that I use it.

Which branch? I use the FF at Holborn, just around the corner from the tube. That's £39 per month.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I don't stand on dog cr@p on my treadmill, it isn't icy or wet, I don't get window cleaners whistling at me, car horns beeping, freezing wind blowing into my face, cyclist trying to run me over..... in general it is a much safer and pleasanter environment than running outside.

Car horns beeping! It's a dangerous world out there! :P

HOLA4415
Which branch? I use the FF at Holborn, just around the corner from the tube. That's £39 per month.

Palace street, near Victoria. Most people in my office pay more than me though, I think I got lucky when they we doing a deal and they have refused to match it for a collegue. I used to use the one at Fetter lane when I worked over there, think I was paying £38 on a corporate rate. It will be worth making sure you can leave with only a months notice so you can take advantage of the special offers that will inevatibly be happening soon.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
When things are tight people start cutting back ( well that used to be true ).

I'd have thought the first thing to go would be the 700 quid a year Gym membership.

Has anyone noticed an emptying of Gyms or "special" offers from the large Gym chains, aimed at getting people in through the door ?

I read somewhere that only a small proportion of people who sign up for a year's membership actually use the gym for more than about a month. (Usually right after their New Year's Resolutions)

Apparently the gyms rely on a large proportion of Lapsed Resolutionists (to coin a phrase) because if they did all turn up regualrly there wouldn't be room for everybody.

But they still rely on these LR subs.

No prizes for guessing what resolution a lot of people won't be making come January 1st.

Anyone here with shares in eg Holmes Place? ;)

HOLA4419
I read somewhere that only a small proportion of people who sign up for a year's membership actually use the gym for more than about a month. (Usually right after their New Year's Resolutions)

Apparently the gyms rely on a large proportion of Lapsed Resolutionists (to coin a phrase) because if they did all turn up regualrly there wouldn't be room for everybody.

No prizes for guessing what resolution a lot of people won't be making come January 1st.

Holmes Place became Virgin Active about 2 years ago.

HOLA4420

Holmes place was effectively bankrupt a few years ago ans was bought out by VirginActive wasn't it?

I think your right though, I think they will have a hell of a job signing people up to 12 month memberships, they are going to have to get real, drop the joining fee and offer 1 or two month notice contracts. I dont think poepl will have an issue with paying for a gym provided that they still have a job, but its the uncertainty they dont like so will not make such a commitment.

HOLA4421

We had quite a lot of subscriptions for business related things paid by standing order. They've all just written asking us to stop the standing orders and setup new ones adjusted for the 15% vat rate. Have stopped them all and decided not to restart them, and I bet we're not the only ones. Another govt triumph.

HOLA4422

Be careful with that. Running regularly on the asphalte is not recommended as this put too much stress on the knee and ankle joints, even with a good pair a running trainers.

By using a treadmill, one can avoid/diminish pain and suffering in the joints in later life, as it absobs the shocks.

HOLA4423

I just told my girlfriend the other night that the gym I just joined won't last more than 6 months. Here's my story:

Short story:

GF goes to nice gym with pool and sauna, and decent amount of weights and equipment. Called FX leisure, in Gateshead. Very poncy place, coffee and leather seats and whatnot but hey, I get to sit in a sauna!

October:

Went there on a free ticket sort of thing to check it out. Had to leave my phone number

November:

Received the first text "join now, 1st month free - 20 places"

Second text: "join now, 1st month free" (no mentioning of limited places)

Third text: "join now, 1st month free and no joining fee (fee something like 50-100 quid)

Fourth text: "join now, 1st month free, no joining fee and half the admin fee".

The offer just got better and better.

I caved in on the fourth text and joined up. I also managed to haggle down from 42.50 to 37.50 per month.

I suspect this gym is going down the brown pipe.

HOLA4424
I have never understood this whole gym membership thing. Where I live we have some wonderful cycle paths in the countryside and some of the nicest mountains and scenery within 40 minutes drive or train ride. Yet these bozo's would rather fork out £50 a month or whatever to sit on a cycling machine looking over a main road for 2 hours at a time.

These trendy gyms are another symbol of the last 10 years. It was another must have for the Soya Latte drinking, I wanna be like Rachel and Chandler from Friends generation bunch of w@nkers.

Totally agree! I can't stand it either. The whole concept seems so artificial to me. I run twice a week outside, play tennis (at my tennis club) and do my own gym at home. I don't need people around me in order to feel motivated to work out. It is only good I suppose if you are single...

HOLA4425
Be careful with that. Running regularly on the asphalte is not recommended as this put too much stress on the knee and ankle joints, even with a good pair a running trainers.

By using a treadmill, one can avoid/diminish pain and suffering in the joints in later life, as it absobs the shocks.

You are right and chips in your head will enable you to avoid any excess.