House Price Crash Forum

Retailers Going

HOLA441
"I've not seen any speculation about MUFC...bought with a leveraged buyout with 750million GBP of JP Morgan's money! "

love to see them go bust, then newcastle can rise to their rightfull place, top "o" the league.( have to have a few other clubs go too though)...assuming the toon did'nt go bust first.

Yeah, me too, the scum in administration, an impossible dream for so long, but now possible. Sadly, I think they'd be bought by an Asian or Arab consortium before that happened . But it's got to be on the cards, surely the Glazers must be feeling the pinch with that much debt? No more talk about playing premiership games in Asia I see. ;)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Any toy retailers left next year will benifit from woolworths demise. But they need to survive this christmas first, everyone has bouught toys from woolworths massive fire sale!

Argos have big toy market share and best placed to pick up Woolies leftovers. Not enough to save them from the fact they bought Homebase off the private equity spivs. Not content with that they went on a big expansion drive and bought a load of Focus stores. Weston-Super-Mare now has a choice of two Homebases, two Argos and a huge B&Q soon to open. On top of that the tourist trade will proabaly have vanished as the pier burnt down.

HOLA443
Do they sell Kopi Luwak? I've got a hankering to try some of that.

No, Whittards don't do the high end stuff, except for Blue Mountain, and like I said before, I wouldn't buy that from them because it's not fresh enough. You can buy Kopi Luwak for about £400-500 per kg online or from some department stores, though, like most things, it can be bought cheaper from German suppliers (Rip Off Britain again). An interesting and cheaper alternative is Vietnamese Weasel Coffee, available from Algerian Coffee stores, but that's puked up by weasels instead sh*t out by Civets.

HOLA444
HOLA445
Do they sell Kopi Luwak? I've got a hankering to try some of that.

No, Whittards don't do the high end stuff, except for Blue Mountain, and like I said before, I wouldn't buy that from them because it's not fresh enough. You can buy Kopi Luwak for about £400-500 per kg online or from some department stores, though, like most things, it can be bought cheaper from German suppliers (Rip Off Britain again). An interesting and cheaper alternative is Vietnamese Weasel Coffee, available from Algerian Coffee stores, but that's puked up by weasels instead sh*t out by Civets.

HOLA446
So

Woolworths

The Pier

MFI

Max Spielman/Klick etc

This Guardian article reckons that Fat Face debt is trading at 35 pence in the pound, one of the lowest face values in the UK high street.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/no...tments-business

(For Consumaphobics it's Mens, Womens & Kids Clothing, 140 UK stores & concessions plus catalogue & internet business, I always thought prices were a bit aspirational for what it was, target audience appeared to be couples with children)

HOLA447
Argos have big toy market share and best placed to pick up Woolies leftovers. Not enough to save them from the fact they bought Homebase off the private equity spivs. Not content with that they went on a big expansion drive and bought a load of Focus stores. Weston-Super-Mare now has a choice of two Homebases, two Argos and a huge B&Q soon to open. On top of that the tourist trade will proabaly have vanished as the pier burnt down.

Argos have a very different model to any other business. You don't shop in argos you just buy.

HOLA448
I wouldn't bother. I've heard it's shit.

It had to be said. :lol:

An interesting and cheaper alternative is Vietnamese Weasel Coffee, available from Algerian Coffee stores, but that's puked up by weasels instead sh*t out by Civets.

Interesting.

Let's face it, either has got to be better than vending machine coffee!

HOLA449
Think all the 'sports' chains are in trouble, JJB, JD, etc etc. The football club stores, not at grounds, will get hit as well.

Blacks might be ok, bit higher up the scale, much more middle-class, & they sell more usable items, not just 'sports fashion'

New Look is probably leveraged quite highly, considering their rate of expansion, & i think they had problems a few years ago.

DSG - dixons, currys, the link, all they seem to sell now is a lot of own-brand stuff & mobile phones

Halfords - used to be bikes & car bits, but now theres lots of sat-navs & other non-essentials. also, if wifey isnt at work at woolies, does she need that car?

Blacks would still be a top pick, a good guess ;)

HOLA4410
... Would have gone for Halfords as a strong recession-proof bet, but even they're making worrying noises..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...rcs/7760251.stm

About 250 jobs are being cut at car accessory and bike retailer Halfords. Tuesday, 2 December 2008

A spokeswoman for the store, which has its headquarters in Redditch, Worcestershire, said 50 jobs would go from head office.

Another 200 will go from stores around the country. The announcement was made to staff a few weeks ago and a review of activities is being carried out.

In October, the retailer said it was confident about profits despite a slowdown in sales.

The current job losses are down to the current economic downturn, a spokeswoman said.

"Over the coming weeks we will be reviewing all the activities carried out in the Redditch office and this process will result in a reduction of roles.

"Store colleagues are already working through an exercise to realign roles and working patterns," she added.

They could yet restructure to a setup to get them through the recession, depends how much debt they've got to service and how tied in they are to current store numbers, sizes and rent values. If they've got the means to cut quickly and focus on parts for car maintenance, cheap bikes and bike spares with a bit of roof bars, caravan and camping equipment thrown in for the increased number of UK based holidays then I reckon they've got a good chance.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Yes all prices always loaded pre-xmas. Have a look in Sainsbury's after xmas and they usually half price on xmas lines across the board, still plenty of margin to withstand it. If you look on confectionery selection box lines and compare the weight with standard product you'll find it's about similar value. Putting the product in a box with a picture of Santa on does bump up costs, but nowhere near double.

Another ruse is what's called in the trade price establishment. This is sticking product on sale at the minimum number of branches for the minimum amount of time to comply with OFT rules so it can be contended that the product has previously been selling at a higher price to exaggerate the discount.

I know the xmas stock is done like that (you've previously confirmed my suspicsions it's all crap) but my wife was referring to some nicer bits i

of the normal clothing stock. The cheap items are cheap and nasty but the nice ones are starting to look pricey in the MOTR shops. Last year we had a lot of discussion on here about inflation and one of the things I discovered that the normal pattern is for CPI/RPI to increase in December in the run up to xmas as much as they 'fall' the in the January sales.

Thanks for the Whittard help guys :lol: I can see what they do but I meant what the hell are they really needed for?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
I wouldn't bother. I've heard it's shit.

I already have my coat on.

Oh very good but I think it went straight over most peoples heads... I have never heard of it before....

Kopi Luwak (pronounced [ˈkopi ˈluwak]) or Civet coffee is coffee made from coffee berries which have been eaten by and passed through the digestive tract of the Asian Palm Civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus). The civets eat the berries, but the beans inside pass through their system undigested

In short recycled Monkey Shit.......... Only in Browns Britain could people think it fashionable to drink coffee made from Monkey Shit..... :blink:

HOLA4417

I've been discussing this on my local website forum. My town is almost exclusively dedicated to serving the wannabe WAG's in their daytime hours. Poncey coffee shops (5 visible from any point), a Next that only does women and children's clothing, a couple of high end price womens shops, a health food shop, pseudo-continental Bistro's, M&S food only/womens clothes, posh hairdressers etc.)

To ensure my town is absolutely buggered in the coming wave of the depression, a food shop which sells hand cooked meals which are frozen has opened recently. It charges Waitrose+ prices (like about 8 quid for a tub of curry for 2 people) and in the ready meal stakes it's real premium pricing. Think of it as Iceland for the WAG's.

Oh, and a sweet shop has just opened with lots of jars in it, and the premises are part of a new build low rise slave box development, so I presume the rent's going to be a killer on that one.

I reckon my whole town will go down the pan if we're all correct in the predictions for the coming depression.

TFH

Edited by Tin Foil Hat

HOLA4418

Over the last few years we have seen quite a few Outlet villages spring up round the Country filled with all the designer labels along with the obligatory Starbucks and or Costa Coffee.

What bode the future for them? Marks and Sparks have a presence in most as does New Look and some of the other bigger players but once it is all played out they cannot alone sustain these out of town outlets....

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Mentioning Halfords

The store by me is currently being extended, the retail area is expanding into what had been service bays.

They have been around a while, & been through the previous recession.

The Pier, Fat Face, lot of the smaller chains were started after that recession.

They probably also dont have the clout with landlords & suppliers that the big established chains have.

As for the out-of-town shopping centres, outlet villages etc, they really should be made illegal under planning laws.

Usually the only way to get to them is by car, they then have acres of car parks & some sheds.

They could be hit hard when people look at the cost of getting to them, & the fact that they only serve a portion of the total retail market is a problem for them.

HOLA4423
This Guardian article reckons that Fat Face debt is trading at 35 pence in the pound, one of the lowest face values in the UK high street.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/no...tments-business

(For Consumaphobics it's Mens, Womens & Kids Clothing, 140 UK stores & concessions plus catalogue & internet business, I always thought prices were a bit aspirational for what it was, target audience appeared to be couples with children)

Oh no! We love buying stuff from Fat Face - but always in their frequent 50% off sales. In fact I don't think we've ever paid more than half price for anything.

Yes we are a couple with children buying cool (?) surfer / skater gear even though we'd never consider actually surfing / skateboarding etc ourselves.

HOLA4424
Now that makes sense.

Clothing place I thought at first, but I see from Google that it's hand crafted furniture.

Amazingly there are 2 The Pier's in Sheffield (told you I didn't go out much).

No surprise that they've foundered.

People at my work last week were a bit upset about the Edinburgh branch going. They were stunned when I said I had no idea what they were on about. It is/was on George Street in Edinburgh so is presumably a bit upmarket?

HOLA4425
I know the xmas stock is done like that (you've previously confirmed my suspicsions it's all crap) but my wife was referring to some nicer bits i

of the normal clothing stock. The cheap items are cheap and nasty but the nice ones are starting to look pricey in the MOTR shops. Last year we had a lot of discussion on here about inflation and one of the things I discovered that the normal pattern is for CPI/RPI to increase in December in the run up to xmas as much as they 'fall' the in the January sales.

Thanks for the Whittard help guys :lol: I can see what they do but I meant what the hell are they really needed for?

I agree with Mrs Daiking, that the MOTR shops, the likes of Next and M&S, have pushed up the prices of their clothing. OH thought the same when he looked at suits and jackets. I wondered whether M&S had these 20% off sales planned all along.

Being someone who hates shopping when it's busy, I've just not bought much stuff this year. I thought it too dear at the inflated price, and I'm not going to stand in a huge queue to pay what it should have been priced at originally.