House Price Crash Forum

West Dulwich

kuntama

HOLA441

Yeah, we applied to Rosendale and Dulwich Village Infants (the latter we live about 150 metres from). Was amazed not to get into Rosendale as it's a few hundred yards up the road, then found out about this. Was a bit scary as I had no idea how hard to it would be to get into DVI (we're not church-goers).

that sucks. how have you worked it out in the end. it's a big issue for us all in WD.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

that sucks. how have you worked it out in the end. it's a big issue for us all in WD.

Oh, sorry for not making clear - we got in to DVI. The results for that came out a week later. It was scary cos we'd moved home specifically for that purpose, renting a more expensive place in the hope that it would secure the place. Rosendale was a "sure-fire" backup. I didn't know about the reduced intake, so was a bit panicky!

Dulwich Estates must cream a lot of rental money off parents with kids crammed into small properties (as we are). Everyone on our road appears to be renting and have two kids to a (small) room. However, they're very good landlords and don't charge over the odds.

HOLA443

Oh, sorry for not making clear - we got in to DVI. The results for that came out a week later. It was scary cos we'd moved home specifically for that purpose, renting a more expensive place in the hope that it would secure the place. Rosendale was a "sure-fire" backup. I didn't know about the reduced intake, so was a bit panicky!

Dulwich Estates must cream a lot of rental money off parents with kids crammed into small properties (as we are). Everyone on our road appears to be renting and have two kids to a (small) room. However, they're very good landlords and don't charge over the odds.

good to hear! we have been considering schools. living near rosendale makes things very limited. bascially seems to be turney road, croxted road, daikeith road. can rent in each around 1300-1400. cannot buy a flat of a decent size. seens a couple on dalkeith/turney around 350 but they are really too small with crumby gardens. we keep think that east dulwich is better as can plonk ourselves in a small 2/3 bed house around landells road between heber and goodrich schools. ideally would buy they are around 420k and can rent to 1400 so want to wait until they hit 350-70 mark. still got four year to go though before my first goes to primary!

any advice?

ps. how much does it cost to rent something in the village for a small family. i never condered it!

HOLA444

More East Dulwich boredom, or even maybe Peckham, but has anyone know anything about this road? Did the buyers in 2009 bag a bargain or are the 2010 buyers the biggest bunch of overpaying numpties ever ?

From net houseprices...

28 Dovedale Road,

London,

Greater London,

SE22 0NF £335,000

Semi-Detached

Freehold

Not New Build 22-May-2009

Map (SE22

10 Dovedale Road,

London,

Greater London,

SE22 0NF £558,000

Semi-Detached

Freehold

Not New Build 05-Aug-2010

Map (SE22 0NF)

HOLA445

More East Dulwich boredom, or even maybe Peckham, but has anyone know anything about this road? Did the buyers in 2009 bag a bargain or are the 2010 buyers the biggest bunch of overpaying numpties ever ?

From net houseprices...

28 Dovedale Road,

London,

Greater London,

SE22 0NF £335,000

Semi-Detached

Freehold

Not New Build 22-May-2009

Map (SE22

more honor oak border really. bit stuck in time really around there!

10 Dovedale Road,

London,

Greater London,

SE22 0NF £558,000

Semi-Detached

Freehold

Not New Build 05-Aug-2010

Map (SE22 0NF)

HOLA446

good to hear! we have been considering schools. living near rosendale makes things very limited. bascially seems to be turney road, croxted road, daikeith road. can rent in each around 1300-1400. cannot buy a flat of a decent size. seens a couple on dalkeith/turney around 350 but they are really too small with crumby gardens. we keep think that east dulwich is better as can plonk ourselves in a small 2/3 bed house around landells road between heber and goodrich schools. ideally would buy they are around 420k and can rent to 1400 so want to wait until they hit 350-70 mark. still got four year to go though before my first goes to primary!

any advice?

ps. how much does it cost to rent something in the village for a small family. i never condered it!

Places come up for rent around the village fairly regularly, but we moved earlier than we needed to when we saw a 2-bed Victorian house come up. I had reservations about how small it was for two kids (2nd bedroom is 8x8) but it's been fine.

The shocker was how much we managed to get off the rent - 10% off asking. I started at 15% less thinking I would be laughed away but they came back with 10% off and a 2 year lease (which I wanted anyway!).

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Which lots are you referring to?

Hm, doesn't seem to deep link.

38th lot on the first auction there. 230k dalkeith road - bigger and in better condition (?) than the one on turney that went for 230kish mentioned above. These are the ones on for 350k also mentioned below.

Wish I had the confidence to buy at auction...

HOLA4410

Places come up for rent around the village fairly regularly, but we moved earlier than we needed to when we saw a 2-bed Victorian house come up. I had reservations about how small it was for two kids (2nd bedroom is 8x8) but it's been fine.

The shocker was how much we managed to get off the rent - 10% off asking. I started at 15% less thinking I would be laughed away but they came back with 10% off and a 2 year lease (which I wanted anyway!).

how do you manage with two kids and two bedrooms-how long do you think it is a viable thing to do? my wife and i have been discussing this as considering a house in ED with 2 beds but we would want to stay until they hit secondary school.

Edited by dnjc

HOLA4411

Hm, doesn't seem to deep link.

38th lot on the first auction there. 230k dalkeith road - bigger and in better condition (?) than the one on turney that went for 230kish mentioned above. These are the ones on for 350k also mentioned below.

Wish I had the confidence to buy at auction...

that would be agood buy. one on dalkeith for 370 http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28592188.html at the moment. they are crazy. i just don't get the prices through agents. I think through an agent realistic price is low 3's for something in decent condition.

HOLA4412

how do you manage with two kids and two bedrooms-how long do you think it is a viable thing to do? my wife and i have been discussing this as considering a house in ED with 2 beds but we would want to stay until they hit secondary school.

We were a bit concerned before we moved as we lived in a bigger place before but it's fine. The kids don't mind sharing a small space. The only problem is when we have guests it's a bit of a tight fit. You also have to be pretty disciplined about not letting stuff accumulate, but that appeals to me.

Being near the park makes a MASSIVE difference with 2 small kids, and having a garden is pretty useful too. Those outweigh an extra room easily.

But I've never been into the idea of having a large place to live in.

HOLA4413

I live in West Norwood and have been looking at the W /Norwood/Dulwichare for a while..

323k in Hexham road at aution - November

http://www.eigroup.co.uk/auctioneer-templates/LotDetails.aspx?LotID=589417&a=2&c=and

One road along

475k - Are they out of their minds

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31546307.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28487395.html

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I live in West Norwood and have been looking at the W /Norwood/Dulwichare for a while..

323k in Hexham road at aution - November

http://www.eigroup.co.uk/auctioneer-templates/LotDetails.aspx?LotID=589417&a=2&c=and

One road along

475k - Are they out of their minds

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31546307.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28487395.html

i viewed hexham. it was in a state. probably needed 50k to get it into decent shape. roof was shot for example. still good price though but not for me as no decent school!

shows how out of whack prices are though..

Edited by dnjc

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4422

So, I have been a bit despondent recently, for a few reasons...

Inflation eating into my savings.

The realisation that if I bought a place I'd be able to pay quite a lot of money off my mortgage instead of forking out for rent.

Prices doing not much.

When the crash happened we (me and the missus) upgraged our expectations of where we wanted to live. I thought the crashtastic apocalypse was apon us, and the Missus thought Forest Hill, Honor Oak was dull as dishwater with nothing going on, so we moved to East Dulwich. All good so far :) . So now prices haven't been falling as nicely as I had hoped, I've been reevaluating whether I should buy soonish ( I move slowly, so thinking that could be six to nine months), or hold out.

One thing I've noticed is, that I can get a three bedroom house no worries, just as long as I don't mind the location! Which although a reasonably easy concept to grasp, does my head in. As a person who earns quite good money compared to say a teacher, I now find that Dulwich is way too pricey, and East Dulwich is way too pricey for a house. So I'm back to looking at Forest Hill. When I look at how much house prices used to be in 2001 paying the mortgage in East Dulwich would have been a doddle in back then, now I can't afford it (or maybe the pessimist in me wouldn't want to take on that big a mortgage?). Do people think teachers and the like won't be able to buy houses in E.D. again? Has East Dulwich gentrified so much that you're going to have to be on a really good wicket to buy a house? We're surrounded by Peckham, Lewisham and Brixton ffs! The lady upstairs is a retired teacher. I have old taxi drivers on the one side. I feel I am paying for my 'sin' of not jumping on the housing ladder when younger very heavily.

Sorry if my last post was a bit negative. I'm quite looking forward to some more HPC action soon. And some cheap asking prices!

HOLA4423

One thing I've noticed is, that I can get a three bedroom house no worries, just as long as I don't mind the location! Which although a reasonably easy concept to grasp, does my head in. As a person who earns quite good money compared to say a teacher, I now find that Dulwich is way too pricey, and East Dulwich is way too pricey for a house. So I'm back to looking at Forest Hill. When I look at how much house prices used to be in 2001 paying the mortgage in East Dulwich would have been a doddle in back then, now I can't afford it (or maybe the pessimist in me wouldn't want to take on that big a mortgage?). Do people think teachers and the like won't be able to buy houses in E.D. again? Has East Dulwich gentrified so much that you're going to have to be on a really good wicket to buy a house? We're surrounded by Peckham, Lewisham and Brixton ffs! The lady upstairs is a retired teacher. I have old taxi drivers on the one side. I feel I am paying for my 'sin' of not jumping on the housing ladder when younger very heavily.

Houses are still overvalued. When you can't afford to rent or buy in an area, then that's it - you have to give up. Until then, live where you can afford and choose to rent/buy accordingly.

HOLA4424

Houses are still overvalued. When you can't afford to rent or buy in an area, then that's it - you have to give up. Until then, live where you can afford and choose to rent/buy accordingly.

totally agree with you. forget about inflation eroding savings. it takes a long time for that to happen. rent somewhere nice that has everything you want I say and enjoy yourself! we have moved to herne hill from WD and have to say that if we bought the flat we are renting would cost 475k and we get it for 1300PCM. Crazy.

HOLA4425

totally agree with you. forget about inflation eroding savings. it takes a long time for that to happen. rent somewhere nice that has everything you want I say and enjoy yourself! we have moved to herne hill from WD and have to say that if we bought the flat we are renting would cost 475k and we get it for 1300PCM. Crazy.

I can defo afford to rent here!

Mind you, I choose to rent something smaller than I would buy, but then I can upgrade easily!