House Price Crash Forum

Bugging Scandal Inside The Commons

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/polit...ns-1041637.html

The House of Commons office of Damian Green, the Tories' immigration spokesman, is routinely swept for electronic bugging devices, along with other offices belonging to senior Conservatives, amid fears of covert monitoring, The Independent on Sunday has discovered. Anger surrounding the shadow immigration minister's arrest last week escalated dramatically last night over suspicions of a major bugging scandal inside the Palace of Westminster. The IoS understands that even before his surprise arrest on Thursday Mr Green was aware that his Commons office, phone calls and emails could be under surveillance because of the sensitive nature of his job. The fresh revelations rocked the Commons just days before the high point of the parliamentary calendar, the Queen's Speech, which takes place on Wednesday. Last night, a Conservative MP wrote to Gordon Brown demanding an urgent review of the Wilson doctrine, the convention that protects MPs from phonetapping but does not cover other surveillance techniques. It is not known whether a covert device has ever been found during searches. But if the suspicions are proved right, it would have major implications for the protection of parliamentary privilege. Ben Wallace, the Conservative MP for Lancaster & Wyre, said the Wilson doctrine, which dates back to 1966, needed to be changed to cover all forms of surveillance, not just intercepting of calls. He said: "It is disturbing that the authorities may have exploited the difference between surveillance and intercept in order to pursue Members of Parliament over the past 10 years."

Can Gordon Brown lie his way out of this one as well?

Edited by Thucydides

Make-believe WMDs. Illegal wars and mass murder. Removal of centuries old liberties. DNA harvesting. The database state. Dr David Kelly and possibly Robin Cook (who had recently revealed 'Al Queada' to be a made-up construct. Powers of arrest for traffic wardens and civil service. The attempt to bring in 42 day detention. Terror laws used on Joe Public.

Now purges of the opposition!

Why do tin foil hatters get such a bad reputation when everything they said years back comes to pass? Nah, Governments just bring in all this stuff because they are a bit incompetent, a tiny bit corrupt but nothing too bad - nothing like being power mad control freaks that want complete dominion over your life. Nothing like that.

Guest sillybear2

This sort of thing should be expected, Brown is paranoid and psychologically flawed, he is mentally incapable of admitting mistakes or accepting other points of view, he views it as a sign of weakness. We have our very own Nixon.

Guest mattsta1964
Make-believe WMDs. Illegal wars and mass murder. Removal of centuries old liberties. DNA harvesting. The database state. Dr David Kelly and possibly Robin Cook (who had recently revealed 'Al Queada' to be a made-up construct. Powers of arrest for traffic wardens and civil service. The attempt to bring in 42 day detention. Terror laws used on Joe Public.

Now purges of the opposition!

Why do tin foil hatters get such a bad reputation when everything they said years back comes to pass? Nah, Governments just bring in all this stuff because they are a bit incompetent, a tiny bit corrupt but nothing too bad - nothing like being power mad control freaks that want complete dominion over your life. Nothing like that.

Fascism always arrives by the back door and by the time people realize what has happened, it's too late.

We are closer to a fascist state than at any time in our nation's history.

Most of us are too busy servicing our huge mortgages or sitting in front of some mindless drivel on TV to notice. It's bloody tragic.

One of the problems is that the Government took away the need for the police to obtain warrants for wiretaps/surveillance with RIPA, so now if they want to bug a politician they can just self-authorise it - no external approval required.

Edited by subspace
Guest Mr Parry
Anyone surprised?

No.

Bliar was a criminal.

Brown is an ideological fool.

In the end, as they realise their 'system' of government does not work, all they crave is the perception of reality rather than reality itself. These Labour people have quite often been brainwashed from birth and as the results of the ideology fail, they will do anything to defend what they have believed all their lives.

My step mother came from such a family. Union leader father.

Dedicated as patprimer to the Labour cause, I once remarked it seemed the people did not matter.

"First the party, then the country and last the people' was her bitter and harsh reply.

She meant it too.

Que Injin, 'they're all the same, it's the system' - I for one have to agree.

This quote made me laugh my **** off - lets apply it to the government suggesting banks should go back to 2007 lending instead of interfering in a police investigation..

The idea that you charge in to impact on operational independence when things get a bit hot, is not a principled position
No.

Bliar was a criminal.

In the end, as they realise their 'system' of government does not work, all they crave is the perception of reality rather than reality itself. These Labour people have quite often been brainwashed from birth and as the results of the ideology fail, they will do anything to defend what they have believed all their lives.

Dedicated as patprimer to the Labour cause, I once remarked it seemed the people did not matter.

"First the party, then the country and last the people' was her bitter and harsh reply.

She meant it too.

Good post.

Guest sillybear2
No.

Bliar was a criminal.

She meant it too.

Indeed, for ideologues "the party" becomes all, above everything else, it's their way of obtaining a sort of immortality because the beloved party is eternal, and for atheists the 'cause' becomes their religion. O'Brien's character in 1984 epitomizes these people perfectly, take Brown for example, Labour has been his life, even his PhD was on the history of the Labour party, he's never had a real job and got into the commons as soon as possible and immersed himself, he only married late in life because it serves his political cause.

I'd say your family were blind apparatchiks, those at the top are usually more cynical, take Mandelson, he reminds me of Captain Beatty out of Fahrenheit 451, their ideologically is born out of a sort of self-aware self-hatred... or what else can explain a labour man being attracted to the rich like flies to sh1t.

Most politicians are control freaks trying to impose their utopia and their flaws on the wider public as an outlet for their misanthropy. Their motives are pretty sad, and amusingly often than not absent anyway, like Blair, he was there for his ego, and nothing else.

Guest Mr Parry
Indeed, for ideologues "the party" becomes all, above everything else, it's their way of obtaining a sort of immortality because the beloved party is eternal, and for atheists the 'cause' becomes their religion. O'Brien's character in 1984 epitomizes these people perfectly, take Brown for example, Labour has been his life, even his PhD was on the history of the Labour party, he's never had a real job and got into the commons as soon as possible and immersed himself, he only married late in life because it serves his political cause.

I'd say your family were blind apparatchiks, those at the top are usually more cynical, take Mandelson, he reminds me of Captain Beatty out of Fahrenheit 451, their ideologically is born out of a sort of self-aware self-hatred... or what else can explain a labour man being attracted to the rich like flies to sh1t.

Most politicians are control freaks trying to impose their utopia and their flaws on the wider public as an outlet for their misanthropy. Their motives are pretty sad, and amusingly often than not absent anyway, like Blair, he was there for his ego, and nothing else.

Ego and money.

I found their ideals and ideas quite disturbing.

Bugging Scandal Inside The Commons, They're at it again - and maybe for the last 10 years!

No, the story is that the Tory Party has arranged for it's offices to be swept for bugs but, as far as I can see, none has been found.

So where the hell's the 'Bugging Scandal" ?

p

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
No, the story is that the Tory Party has arranged for it's offices to be swept for bugs but, as far as I can see, none has been found.

So where the hell's the 'Bugging Scandal" ?

p

I'm sure, like any other action of this government, if you thought you could get away with it, you would.

This has finally fixed my resolve to get out of this rotten country for good.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/polit...ns-1041637.html

The House of Commons office of Damian Green, the Tories' immigration spokesman, is routinely swept for electronic bugging devices, along with other offices belonging to senior Conservatives, amid fears of covert monitoring, The Independent on Sunday has discovered. Anger surrounding the shadow immigration minister's arrest last week escalated dramatically last night over suspicions of a major bugging scandal inside the Palace of Westminster. The IoS understands that even before his surprise arrest on Thursday Mr Green was aware that his Commons office, phone calls and emails could be under surveillance because of the sensitive nature of his job. The fresh revelations rocked the Commons just days before the high point of the parliamentary calendar, the Queen's Speech, which takes place on Wednesday. Last night, a Conservative MP wrote to Gordon Brown demanding an urgent review of the Wilson doctrine, the convention that protects MPs from phonetapping but does not cover other surveillance techniques. It is not known whether a covert device has ever been found during searches. But if the suspicions are proved right, it would have major implications for the protection of parliamentary privilege. Ben Wallace, the Conservative MP for Lancaster & Wyre, said the Wilson doctrine, which dates back to 1966, needed to be changed to cover all forms of surveillance, not just intercepting of calls. He said: "It is disturbing that the authorities may have exploited the difference between surveillance and intercept in order to pursue Members of Parliament over the past 10 years."

Can Gordon Brown lie his way out of this one as well?

Yes he can:

"It began in America. When Richard Nixon, a Republican which is a sort of Tory, was in power."

I think the men in grey suits are at work.

Remember Walter Wolfgang another 'NuLabour terrorist' ? Its these kind of people our glorious leader is defending us from. Oh and revelations about not bothering to check out who is putting bags on our planes. These idiots can spend billions we haven't got on a phony war on terror against a country with no terrorists, and yet can't even get right security at Heathrow. What a complete joke of a Government. They are rapidly becoming the 'terrorists' in destroying the freedoms we are trying to protect.

heckle3_81936a.jpg

Edited by sikejsudjek