House Price Crash Forum

Shadow Minister Arrested

Shut the ****** up dick head; piss off yourself if you're just going to insult people like that.

I happen to agree with you re. the mechanism of the state and how employees should not be held accountable for what their masters want them to do, but like I said before = he's not been charged with anything, just arrested, and there's a world of difference there.

Exactly, he's not been charged with anything and he HAS STILL HAD HIS HOME AND PREMISES RAIDED at the behest of someone with enough authority to do so by the ANTI TERRORIST unit.

If that doesn't bash any braincells in your cranium as being totally out of order then you are a bloody airhead and deserve insulting.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
An elected member of parliament and representative obtains information directly related to his position in the cabinet. That information comes from within the management structure of the state itself - something which the public pay for and which the elected representatives have a duty to ensure remains accountable to the public. Now, this information is not a matter of national security, but does seem to be politically embarrassing to one collective group in parliament. As a result an "anti-terrorist" unit is called in to rifle through the papers of this elected representative and this elected representative is put into custody for a number of hours.

Hullabaloo? Not in a ******ing million years sunshine. Piss off to Zimbabwe and take Prat and his ilk with you if you find this at all acceptable, you'll find the environment much more to your liking.

This.

It's about time elected administrators did the boring job of administrating public services openly and allowed valid criticism.

Populism and deliberately fostering stupidity and ignorance in the population just shows contempt.

We've had ten years of progressive deceit, it's time for Labour to ****** off.

Shut the ****** up dick head; piss off yourself if you're just going to insult people like that.

I happen to agree with you re. the mechanism of the state and how employees should not be held accountable for what their masters want them to do, but like I said before = he's not been charged with anything, just arrested, and there's a world of difference there.

There's also a world of difference between 'questioned' and 'arrested'. Arrested, meaning to be taken into police custody. Handcuffs, 'Right to remain silent', the lot. If you are arrested you are being held on suspicion of committing a crime and are not free to go about your business. Arresting a member of the shadow cabinet is very serious.

Exactly, he's not been charged with anything and he HAS STILL HAD HIS HOME AND PREMISES RAIDED at the behest of someone with enough authority to do so by the ANTI TERRORIST unit.

If that doesn't bash any braincells in your cranium as being totally out of order then you are a bloody airhead and deserve insulting.

Yes, and that someone with enough authority will be part of the police force and/or the CPS, both institutions only carrying out such investigations where there is reasonable suspicion that a criminal offence has occurred; actions like this are not carried out on a whim or through political pressure.

There's also a world of difference between 'questioned' and 'arrested'. Arrested, meaning to be taken into police custody. Handcuffs, 'Right to remain silent', the lot. If you are arrested you are being held on suspicion of committing a crime and are not free to go about your business. Arresting a member of the shadow cabinet is very serious.

I wouldn't care if it was the Pope who'd been arrested. Where there is reasonable suspicion and the police act acordingly, status should be no bar to arrest.

Edited by Biffo the Bear
No, but the fact that no crime appears to have been committed by the individual concerned should be.

And presumably that is why he has not been charged with any criminal offence.

However, where there is reasonable suspicion that person x has committed an offence then this has to be investigated; it's how the law works.

If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear, having your

home and office searched is a freedom from guilt. Questioning allows

the opposition members a chance to confess and rehabilitation follow

shortly afterwards.

We must not allow the impure of mind and body to pollute this great

nation and.....

And besides, we know that the police are always right and never arrest anyone by mistake.. and anyone who questions the correctness of the police just needs 42 days to declare their terroristic intentions..

Remember, if you have no crimes, bad thoughts, incorrect attitudes or wrong voting intentions to hide, you don't have much to fear.

Yes, and that someone with enough authority will be part of the police force and/or the CPS, both institutions only carrying out such investigations where there is reasonable suspicion that a criminal offence has occurred; actions like this are not carried out on a whim or through political pressure.

I wouldn't care if it was the Pope who'd been arrested. Where there is reasonable suspicion and the police act acordingly, status should be no bar to arrest.

Question is: Who provided that suspicion to set off the investigation?

However, where there is reasonable suspicion that person x has committed an offence then this has to be investigated; it's how the law works.

In that case we should have seen Tony being led out of number 10 in cuffs as there was strong evidence he broke the law re: Cash for honours.

Edited by bearbullfence
And presumably that is why he has not been charged with any criminal offence. However, where there is reasonable suspicion that person x has committed an offence then this has to be investigated; it's how the law works.

Like the cash bribes for Saudi representatives looking to buy planes, the government stopped the investigation. The

law isn't a pure and divine force, they can stop or start it as they wish.

'Investigation' DOES NOT equal 'arrest'. They moved straight to making an arrest, which is highly unusual in cases like this, where the police are seldom called in at all.

Like the cash bribes for Saudi representatives looking to buy planes, the government stopped the investigation. The

law isn't a pure and divine force, they can stop or start it as they wish.

That was because of national security reasons though, a whole different kettle of fish.

'Investigation' DOES NOT equal 'arrest'. They moved straight to making an arrest, which is highly unusual in cases like this, where the police are seldom called in at all.

Being arrested is part of the investigative process. Yes it sounds VERY DRAMATIC.. "ARRESTED! EGAD!" but it's part of the investigative process nonetheless.

I'm sorry Biffo but try as you might this is indefensible. The whole of the PBR was leaked in dribs and drabs before it was put to parliament and that is not just confidential, it is market sensitive, but I haven't seen Alistair Darling being led out of number 11 in cuffs and his house and offices raided by the police and the FSA. You aren't perchance a member of the Labour Party central office rapid rebuttal squad are you?

The arrest is necessary to trigger a caution. Evidence subsequently obtained may then be used. If he was simply interviewed and not cautioned it is doubtful what may be obtained could be used.

The police are investigating disclosure of information by others within civil service departments. There are two ends to this and Green is at one from whom evidence may be gathered and used against those at the other. By arresting him they were preserving the trail of evidence.

If you were involved in a fatal road accident you may well be formally arrested and cautioned on the basis that your statement may well lead to charges that could only have arisen in the light of your evidence.

However, this is indeed a departure from convention and I think a valediction from Blair who leaves today, a very disgruntled bunny.

If there had been sufficient evidence to warrant an arrest then yes, quite right, but it appears that there wasn't, and thus he wasn't.

So your entire argument is that the public have to trust the police will only arrest people when they have sufficient evidence.

I like it, it is a position that holds up nicely when you consider that there have been no wrongful arrests and wrongful imprisonments in the history of the world.

Shocking stuff. My blood ran cold at Gordon using anti-terror police to arrest an opposition politician. What with the Tazers and the ID cards I think we are now in danger of crossing the line into a different and very scary world.

It won't be Damian Green they're interested in though, it will be the whistle blower who will be classed as a "terrorist" as a deterrent to others. If this doesn't wake people up then frankly nothing will.

That was because of national security reasons though, a whole different kettle of fish.

Being arrested is part of the investigative process. Yes it sounds VERY DRAMATIC.. "ARRESTED! EGAD!" but it's part of the investigative process nonetheless.

I don't know how they work in England, but up here they do not go around arresting people willy-nilly. I don't think you actually understand what the word means.

The arrest is necessary to trigger a caution. Evidence subsequently obtained may then be used. If he was simply interviewed and not cautioned it is doubtful what may be obtained could be used.

The police are investigating disclosure of information by others within civil service departments. There are two ends to this and Green is at one from whom evidence may be gathered and used against those at the other. By arresting him they were preserving the trail of evidence.

If you were involved in a fatal road accident you may well be formally arrested and cautioned on the basis that your statement may well lead to charges that could only have arisen in the light of your evidence.

However, this is indeed a departure from convention and I think a valediction from Blair who leaves today, a very disgruntled bunny.

WRONG. You only need to be given the caution, no arrest is necessary. In fact the caution can be given at any place, it doesn't even require attendance at a police station.