House Price Crash Forum

Shadow Minister Arrested

They used Terror laws for this?

Fleet street Right & Left will BURN THEM for this!!!!!

Mike

I hope so. I really hope this is the end of them. If they don't get blasted to bits for this we should take it as a sign to leave the country now.

Mr Green, the MP for Ashford in Kent, Ashford ... who do we know there?

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, wading through the hyperbole, Damian Green was arrested in connection with the arrest of a suspect Home Office whistleblower?

It's certainly a world away from being arrested for being the whistleblower himself. Like has been said, it's the duty of any MP to question the policies of the government and he's not done anything wrong in this respect. It's the civil servant who has been acting beyond his remit, and the MP was arrested in connection with this, presumably to be asked if the civil servant in question was indeed the person who was supplying him with the information.

I can't see a problem with this.. I don't know what the hullaballoo is about. There's a massive difference between being arrested and being charged with something. People are arrested every day up and down the country 'in connection' with various crimes; it's merely the evidence-gathering process.

I can see it and I know - waiting is a local habit - (try to avoid it by using your own brain capacity) :

Queueing theory is the mathematical study of waiting lines (or queues). The theory enables mathematical analysis of several related processes, including arriving at the (back of the) queue, waiting in the queue (essentially a storage process), and being served by the server(s) at the front of the queue. The theory permits the derivation and calculation of several performance measures including the average waiting time in the queue or the system, the expected number waiting or receiving service and the probability of encountering the system in certain states, such as empty, full, having an available server or having to wait a certain time to be served.

Nicely copied and pasted from Wikipedia...and you were criticising others for doing more or less the same?

Whilst I have your eyes/ears I might as well comment on the topic: On one hand I hope there is more to this story than what has appeared in the press so far. On the other hand, I fear there is not. The Stalinist control freak attitudes of our current government scare the living daylights out of me, and I wouldn't put arbitrary political arrest past them. That is the whole worrying message of this thread. Many people have immediately assumed the MP arrested is innocent of anything serious and that this is a shot across the bows originating from Number 10 or thereabouts. The government and the police, in my opinion, have lost a lot of the public's trust, and with good reason in my opinion.

I can't see a problem with this.. I don't know what the hullaballoo is about. There's a massive difference between being arrested and being charged with something. People are arrested every day up and down the country 'in connection' with various crimes; it's merely the evidence-gathering process.

No...asking if you'd mind answering some questions is normal. Making an arrest is rather more severe and is (or should be) reserved for those suspected of a crime. The police do not routinely arrest people just to ask them questions. At least, they didn't used to...

Quite right, Biffo. People, up and down the country, are arrested and held for nine hours and have their homes and offices searched by police every day of the year. It's happened to each and every one of us, Biffo, has it not? There's nothing to it, at all. Run of the mill. MP's are arrested all the time for no reason, whatsoever, and that's what's happened in this case. We should read nothing into it.

The suggestion that someone has paid someone else to steal things and then sold those things at a fat profit to someone else - like, for example, the newspapers - is neither here nor there. Just mischievous talk. That's all. Cameron is quite right in backing him all the way - right through to his imminent resignation.

p

So, wading through the hyperbole, Damian Green was arrested in connection with the arrest of a suspect Home Office whistleblower?

It's certainly a world away from being arrested for being the whistleblower himself. Like has been said, it's the duty of any MP to question the policies of the government and he's not done anything wrong in this respect. It's the civil servant who has been acting beyond his remit, and the MP was arrested in connection with this, presumably to be asked if the civil servant in question was indeed the person who was supplying him with the information.

An elected member of parliament and representative obtains information directly related to his position in the cabinet. That information comes from within the management structure of the state itself - something which the public pay for and which the elected representatives have a duty to ensure remains accountable to the public. Now, this information is not a matter of national security, but does seem to be politically embarrassing to one collective group in parliament. As a result an "anti-terrorist" unit is called in to rifle through the papers of this elected representative and this elected representative is put into custody for a number of hours.

Hullabaloo? Not in a ******ing million years sunshine. Piss off to Zimbabwe and take Prat and his ilk with you if you find this at all acceptable, you'll find the environment much more to your liking.

Edited by OnlyMe
Quite right, Biffo. People, up and down the country, are arrested and held for nine hours and have their homes and offices searched by police every day of the year. It's happened to each and every one of us, Biffo, has it not? There's nothing to it, at all. Run of the mill. MP's are arrested all the time for no reason, whatsoever, and that's what's happened in this case. We should read nothing into it.

The suggestion that someone has paid someone else to steal things and then sold those things at a fat profit to someone else - like, for example, the newspapers - is neither here nor there. Just mischievous talk. That's all. Cameron is quite right in backing him all the way - right through to his imminent resignation.

p

odd thing is, the bill rang the mayor of London, conservative leaders and all sorts but nobody informed the government.

well, they probably did, but they didnt understand what was being said to them because the leader hadnt told them in advance and a response programmed in

Edited by Bloo Loo
I have always taken the view that no journo puts pen to paper without some sort of agenda. The key is to spot the bias, spot the intentional omissions and spot the mis-quotes. The paper they write for gives a decent clue. Then you have to account for the errors of fact. I have never seen an article about something that I have good knowledge of that did not contain at least one fairly important mistake.

Always remember that there are many things that you think you know that in actual fact are only things that someone else has told you and you chose to believe them.

Gilligan.

Where for art thou Gilligan?

Police Statement:

The investigation into the alleged leak of confidential government material followed the receipt by the MPS (Metropolitan Police Service) of a complaint from the Cabinet Office.

Note the word 'confidential' not secret and complaint came from Cabinet Office.

LibDems Chris Huhne:

Receiving information from government departments in the public interest and publicising it is a key part of any MP's role.

'This is the most worrying development for many years, with the potential to shift power even more conclusively from Parliament to the Government.

'It is also extraordinary considering Gordon Brown himself as shadow chancellor received and publicised many leaked official documents.

If I make a complaint, do you think that the police will arrest Gordon?

Police Statement:

Note the word 'confidential' not secret and complaint came from Cabinet Office.

LibDems Chris Huhne:

If I make a complaint, do you think that the police will arrest Gordon?

Worth noting "Confidential" is a level of classified information in the UK, so releasing this could be contravention of the Official Secrets Act. Or it could just be semantics.

Worth noting "Confidential" is a level of classified information in the UK, so releasing this could be contravention of the Official Secrets Act. Or it could just be semantics.

My emails are confidential, as are my movements throughout the land, but that holds no truck with THIS government.

They want to record my emails and track me through ID cards.

I know a lot about the Protective Marking system used to classify and control information and although one of the many categories is 'confidential', I can assure you that when discussing such information the authorities wouldn't use that word. Confidential (normal definition) is covered by nothing more than the data protection act and public interest is a virtually insurmountable defence. The Official Secrets Act is a different matter, but doesn't apply here.

Guest X-QUORK
An elected member of parliament and representative obtains information directly related to his position in the cabinet. That information comes from within the management structure of the state itself - something which the public pay for and which the elected representatives have a duty to ensure remains accountable to the public. Now, this information is not a matter of national security, but does seem to be politically embarrassing to one collective group in parliament. As a result an "anti-terrorist" unit is called in to rifle through the papers of this elected representative and this elected representative is put into custody for a number of hours.

Hullabaloo? Not in a ******ing million years sunshine. Piss off to Zimbabwe and take Prat and his ilk with you if you find this at all acceptable, you'll find the environment much more to your liking.

+1 from someone who's not a Conservative voter.

We are nearing the end of Nulabour.

The bail out has failed, people are not taking on more debt and the banks will not lend on a falling market.

This latest episode is yet another example of Bunker Mentality at work.

You will be glad to hear that in Walsall last night a local councillor was elected. Died in the wool Labour heartland that is a rough housing estate full of people on benefits, just turned blue. Pity only a 19% turn out...

Mumbai is just a load of ragheads ninjas,and helicopters- in a country far far away. Put the Damien Green story on "simmer" throughout the weekend, the Sunday's will have 48 hours to ramp and dig, and by Sunday evening there will be calls from all quarters a full explanation from the Home Secretary. And they won't have one. And it's going to be great..

They should give The Observer away free this weekend.

Henry Porter is your friend.

This is the most important piece of domestic news this week. I was thinking that if Labour had called an election in say Feb before mass unemployment engulfs the country they may just pull it off. I now somehow doubt it. The tories will run a TV ad campiagn showing Brown morphing into Mugabe and Labour will be toast.

The Truth*

THE Prime Minister last night began the elimination of his enemies as he pledged to cleanse Britain of the virus of dissent.

Crowds cheered and threw rotten fruit at Conservative MP Damian Green as he was dragged from his bed in the early hours by the Prime Minister's anti-treason officers.

The traitor Green was questioned for nine hours before confessing. His whereabouts are now unknown though Downing Street said he was in a place where he could do no more harm.

More arrests are expected today as Mr Brown makes an example of all those who would seek to destroy our faith in his wisdom and kindness.

According to Downing Street the Prime Minister questioned Green personally and was able to secure the names of more than 20 co-conspirators after the application of electrodes and a small wet sponge.

A spokesman said: "Listen well, treacherous scum. We know where you live. Do not try to hide from us. You will simply prolong your inevitable journey into the realms of pain."

He added: "All of those who have at any time questioned the Prime Minister's actions and judgement must surrender immediately.

"We can then begin the joyful process of re-ordering your thoughts and returning you to full productivity."

The people have welcomed the purge with many leaving bouquets and gifts outside Downing Street. Meanwhile primary school children in Reading have made a collage depicting the Prime Minister cuddling a baby horse.

*according to the Daily Mash

Shut the ****** up dick head; piss off yourself if you're just going to insult people like that.

I happen to agree with you re. the mechanism of the state and how employees should not be held accountable for what their masters want them to do, but like I said before = he's not been charged with anything, just arrested, and there's a world of difference there.

Edited by Biffo the Bear