House Price Crash Forum

Shadow Minister Arrested

Hello Mr. P, glad to see you back and with us from afar.

This whole business is both scary and sinister. It is an abuse of power based on a law that has clearly been framed too loosely, and is open to too much discretion.

I do hope it backfires politically, but also that it encourages more whistleblowers to emerge and put information into the public domain that needs to be heard.

We need checks and balances on government. It would seem too many in parliament and in the media have rolled over - look at what Brown gets away with in his TV interviews.

People close to the facts of what is going on in government as regards the secrecy, politicisation and lies must be getting really pissed off.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr Parry

This whole business is both scary and sinister. It is an abuse of power based on a law that has clearly been framed too loosely, and is open to too much discretion.

I do hope it backfires politically, but also that it encourages more whistleblowers to emerge and put information into the public domain that needs to be heard.

We need checks and balances on government. It would seem too many in parliament and in the media have rolled over - look at what Brown gets away with in his TV interviews.

People close to the facts of what is going on in government as regards the secrecy, politicisation and lies must be getting really pissed off.

I'm still here, Tink!

Bit of a problem at BKK. 20,000 people in yellow shirts armed with plastic hand clappers on the runway.

This is why I should have concentrated on being an evil genius. I'd have used the Chinese Junk operated by the midget instead.

Edited by Mr Parry

Political power comes from the barrel of a gun. I have no idea why you think that writing words down on paper stops men with guns (and tanks and bombs) from doing what they want, I really don't.

They don't fundamentally disagree with the central thesis, that's the problem. Pretty much everyone agrees that the state should be sorting problems out, they just differ in the degree to which they advocate it does so. Cameron right now isn't cursing that this has happened, he'll be thinking "I wish it was me with that kind of power."

This is why it's only going to get worse.

It's normal for them. It's the air they breathe.

The mask is slipping, expect more of it and expect sooner rather than later people you know to go missing.

Thats probably closer to the truth than you think , remember the 2001 census? , half a million young men had gone missing, this was attributed to them going off back packing and not returning...

I've known plenty of people to have gone on vacation and never come back , they send me an email leaving me some of their stuff and saying good bye....

Could all those who have 'emigrated' simply have been taken onto a a ship in the middle of the atlantic and shot in the head and have their bodies mushed up and fed to the sharks?...

To date I've only known of one person who emigrated and came back....

Political power comes from the barrel of a gun. I have no idea why you think that writing words down on paper stops men with guns (and tanks and bombs) from doing what they want, I really don't.

The thing they forget, the thing we forget, the thing that might save us one day, is that they aren't the men with the guns and tanks and bombs. That would be me, my mates and a hundred thousand-or-so other folk in rather spiffy uniforms. I'd like to think that, if they went beyond a certain point, the government might suddenly find itself denied the use of those guns and tanks and bombs.

It hasn't come to that here for a very long time, and I hope the public are smart enough to get rid of Labour so it need never happen again.

Guest Mr Parry
The thing they forget, the thing we forget, the thing that might save us one day, is that they aren't the men with the guns and tanks and bombs. That would be me, my mates and a hundred thousand-or-so other folk in rather spiffy uniforms. I'd like to think that, if they went beyond a certain point, the government might suddenly find itself denied the use of those guns and tanks and bombs.

It hasn't come to that here for a very long time, and I hope the public are smart enough to get rid of Labour so it need never happen again.

Present day Thailand a case in point.

Which is where mercenaries come into play,

When was the last time anyone heard somebody in the uk say "it's a free country"?

Used to be a common expression in the seventies....

It's as if everything that happened post-1989 to the old soviet bloc was nothing more than propaganda.

In reality, the soviet bloc just expanded westward under the guise of "free market capitalism". If there's something I've learned as I've got older it's to judge by your own experience and not by the nonsense on TV and in the media.

As Josef Goebbels once said, "the bigger the lie, the more people will believe it" - nothing could be more true.

Or the government introduce a manditory vacination to all of its armed forces.....

Which turns out to be 100 times more addictive than crack , at which soldiers will be rewarded with more drugs if they comply with orders.....

Since I've seen crack junkies bash peoples heads in for a bit of money without thinking of the consequences .....

its a possibility (been reading a lot of old sci fi books lately)...

Mr Green should feel privileged that he didn’t have a magazine of 9mm metropolitan police force bullets pumped into his head. Apparently this tactic is now official policy for all suspect of 'terrorism'. Mr Green was given some leniency in his arrest and should be thankful to almighty Gordon who spared his life.

Edited by King Stromba
I thought so. Once the debate focuses on the key issues Patprimer (Derek Draper rapid rebuttal unit) comes along to sabotage it.

I repeat:

What is wrong with a civil servant making information public if they believe it is justifiable and providing it is not a true national security issue. This is exactly how Gordon Brown obtained his leaks early in his career. There was footage of him shown yesterday from back in the early nineties justifying how a civil servant 'concerned for the country' had provided him with a leak.

The police are now hounding a 26 year old civil servant for leaking information that anyone with two brain cells could have deduced for themselves.

Why is the government so silent on speaking up for civil liberties on this issue.

It is inconceivable that Jackie Smith did not know beforehand of Damian Green's arrest, given that Boris Johnson and David Cameron did.

Damian Green was held for nine hours and his home and two offices searched!

Why have the media virtually gone silent on this?

I quite understand your disappointment, anger and helplessness in such a situation. In your position I, too, would lash out at all and sundry hoping to steer attention away from the elephant in the room. That is, that one of your MP's is arrested and held for nine hours under such serious circumstances that even the Commons authorities wanted to assist the police by allowing the unprecedented authority to search his office. You must be shattered to be let down so badly. You have my sympathy.

p

I quite understand your disappointment, anger and helplessness in such a situation. In your position I, too, would lash out at all and sundry hoping to steer attention away from the elephant in the room. That is, that one of your MP's is arrested and held for nine hours under such serious circumstances that even the Commons authorities wanted to assist the police by allowing the unprecedented authority to search his office. You must be shattered to be let down so badly. You have my sympathy.

p

Damian Green was an MP doing his job. Only sad conspiracy theorists see the hand of Gordon Brown in this matter (any intelligent person would realise it's extremely politically damaging to him and not his work). Parliament needs to get up off its knees and stop giving blow jobs to Inspector Knacker. When Tony Benn and David Cameron are speaking from the same sheet it's time to pause and reflect.

I suspect that there will be a lot of angry parliamentarians from both sides of the house ready to defend their privileges. The proper court to try Damian Green is the House of Commons - some over-ambitious copper is going to regret the problems he may have caused for his superior officers.

Time for Speaker Martin to go - maybe?

I hope so. Fear and duress seems to be the modus operandi at play. Oh and downright lying.

I quite understand your disappointment, anger and helplessness in such a situation. In your position I, too, would lash out at all and sundry hoping to steer attention away from the elephant in the room. That is, that one of your MPs is arrested and held for nine hours under such serious circumstances that even the Commons authorities wanted to assist the police by allowing the unprecedented authority to search his office. You must be shattered to be let down so badly. You have my sympathy.

p

Pat, you seem to assume that people who oppose or have in my case wised up to this government are Tories. This simply is not the case.

You left me a follow-up yesterday to do with polling (somewhere): at the last election with the lowest votes ever Labour achieved a healthy majority. Just 22% of the electorate voted for them, meaning nearly 4 in 5 didn't. Could we not expect a bit of humility and respect for those that didn't vote Labour, a little less arrogance...?

Didn't Tony Blair on the steps of Downing Street post 2005 election say: "We've got the message."

Clearly you haven't.

Edited by tinker
Guest Mr Parry
Damian Green was an MP doing his job. Only sad conspiracy theorists see the hand of Gordon Brown in this matter (any intelligent person would realise it's extremely politically damaging to him and not his work). Parliament needs to get up off its knees and stop giving blow jobs to Inspector Knacker. When Tony Benn and David Cameron are speaking from the same sheet it's time to pause and reflect.

I suspect that there will be a lot of angry parliamentarians from both sides of the house ready to defend their privileges. The proper court to try Damian Green is the House of Commons - some over-ambitious copper is going to regret the problems he may have caused for his superior officers.

Time for Speaker Martin to go - maybe?

Pure genius!

This was nailed on to happen sooner or later. What we're seeing is the first shots across the bows in the battle for the next election.

In another thread I commented on how the tories were just keeping their powder dry, and that in the run-up to the next election we'd see leaks galore and the boot being put into Labour almost on a daily basis. That's what tends to happen in the run up to an election, things are revealed for maximum short term political advantage.

Any tories will be thinking twice about this strategy now.

Jeez Pat, I know you're a die-hard but grow up and admit this is disgusting, will you? Everything that's wrong with this government...out of control and allergic to the word sorry.

Of course, taking posession of leaked documents is a very rare occurence, something Labour would never do while they were in opposition.

Matthew Parris had it correct in The Times - not the work of the government - but symptomatic of the embarassment they face - if they admit it wasn't their work they will be castigated for being out of touch. Expect angry backbenchers from both sides spitting blood as they fall-in to defend Green.

Labour have utterly blown themselves up with this one.

Middle class, middle age callers on "any answers" R4 now, saying we are into a Police State.

Its "absolutely chilling". "like Zimbabwe"

These are our fellow citizens, harmless little old ladies saying they are terrified of our government.

It is hard to remember this is Britain.

None of you nutters seemed to care when I posted the video of the journalists being arrested at the peace protests in the U.S. or that the demonstrators were done for inciting riots under their terrorism laws.

Or that the media totally ignored all the masses of amateur footage of police violence against peaceful protesters & just talked about the demonstrators smashing windows (no footage).

Maybe it's because it was in the U.S. you didn't care.

Anyone who wants to see how arresting journalists is an official tactic (even by democratic governments) check out the documents in the following video:

Labour have utterly blown themselves up with this one.

Middle class, middle age callers on "any answers" R4 now, saying we are into a Police State.

Its "absolutely chilling". "like Zimbabwe"

These are our fellow citizens, harmless little old ladies saying they are terrified of our government.

It is hard to remember this is Britain.

All of which reminds me why Daily Mail readers shouldn't be given access to dangerous instruments such as the telephone.

p

You actually are a complete cum-stain, aren't you?