House Price Crash Forum

It makes no sense for them to stop selling gift vouchers if they are going out of business. This is essentially free money for them, as they can sell the vouchers and never have to redeem them against actual goods. If they were really going bust they'd be trying to shift as many of them as they could.

I've no doubt they are on their last legs, but this anecdote sounds fishy to me. In fact, screw it, I'll call it.

AWOOGA!

Yeah if you were the boss...

"reminds me of the other baptism of adolescence, nicking from Woolies, first place most of us robbing scousers lost our *nicking virginity*"

Way back in '91, we went on a school field trip - in Bognor!!! One of the students decided he would go into Woolies and nick some CDs causing great upset to his Geography teacher.

Pick'n'Mix is the only part of Woolies I liked.

When I last visited the UK ('06) I went into Woolies and every other toy seemed to be Dora the Explorer - she definitely gets around.

To the dude who asked what Taco Bell was - it is a cheap Mexican fast food outlet - enchiladas - not bad if you've never had Mexican cuisine but nothing like home cooked Mexican food.

Edited by drhewitt

It makes no sense for them to stop selling gift vouchers if they are going out of business. This is essentially free money for them, as they can sell the vouchers and never have to redeem them against actual goods. If they were really going bust they'd be trying to shift as many of them as they could.

I've no doubt they are on their last legs, but this anecdote sounds fishy to me. In fact, screw it, I'll call it.

AWOOGA!

Wrongful trading

Under UK insolvency law,[1] wrongful trading occurs when the directors of a company have continued to trade a company past the point when they:

* "knew, or ought to have concluded that there was no reasonable prospect of avoiding insolvent liquidation"; and

* they did not take "every step with a view to minimising the potential loss to the company’s creditors".

C&A actually owned most of their stores - if not all - as opposed to leasing them.

They discovered that they could make more money from leasing the sites than from being in the fashion business.

Since Woolies is from a similar era, I imagine they own most of their sites too. Pity they didn't get out earlier.

Do they still sell those chocolate fake truffles which are some kind of strawberry flavoured coconut inside chocolate then wrapped in a shiny red twist plastic?

If so, fill up on them at the pick 'n mix.

You mean the Ruffles Bar sweetie version, by Jamesons.

mmmmmmm.... I love those.

But only the ones with the little lions on the printed twisted paper are the real Ruffles, they have over the years slipped in batches of non-Jamesons.

I love Woolies' pick n mix. I could always squeeze 50% extra into their fixed price cups, with carefully planned packing/picking. Reducing the already cheapo price down even further... I'd rush home and weigh them out, just to see how well I'd done... then eat the bloomin' lot!

Its hard for me to think of what I might go to Woolies for, other than as people mentioned Pick and Mix, which is not exactly going to pay the business rates on a high street position.

That's the one. Woolies' Pick N Mix.

I was threatened with that as a kid: if you don't get your exams you'll end up working at Woolies ... now I look at that Pick N Mix lady filling up the sweeties and I think "I wish!"

:)

reminds me of the other baptism of adolescence, nicking from Woolies, first place most of us robbing scousers lost our *nicking virginity*, in my case I reckon I was seven or eight - Airfix US bomber and handfuls of pick and mix, I still want to nick the pick and mix every time I go in :ph34r: Night all.

Reduced-price cassette single of U96's "Das Boot" here. Classy as you like.

I love mini-wakes for shops. Everyone so fond of it they never spent any serious money there, same story with independent retailers.

Rumour doing the rounds is branches with good strategic fit with Wilkinsons will be flipped to them (<200) remainder to be disappeared. Hilco did something similar with a chain called Stationery Box, cut off the dead wood and sold what was left to Ryman. This useful service avoided Mr Paphitis getting his hands dirty.

Jobbing all the stock off will cause acute pain in the short term for some of Woolworth's competitors. The condemned stores could trade in limbo for ages selling off the entire warehouse contents (they have alone secured against the actual stock on the shelves). Doing this for long enough might possibly see the bank getting a large chunk back particularly as they will, most likely, stop paying rent as soon as they're in adminstration. Administator's priorities are always their own fees though.

I hate to say it, but Woolies looks to me like something the Government have been running.
C&A actually owned most of their stores - if not all - as opposed to leasing them.

They discovered that they could make more money from leasing the sites than from being in the fashion business.

Since Woolies is from a similar era, I imagine they own most of their sites too. Pity they didn't get out earlier.

The only way an inefficient retailing business can survive is if the rents stay low. All of those 'extra people' were getting wages and spending money, now they aren't. In our ever maddening drive for efficiency we now find that we're the cat that has disposed of all the mice.

With every increase in retailing efficiency, the value of prime locations rise. They rise and rise until only the slickest can survive, and we get every high street looking the same.

My son was telling me he used to hang with his mates at a place that was, in effect, a youth club. Could spend all day there on £3. Those 'run like the government' businesses aren't viable with HPI and rising rents. It's gone now. Nowhere to hang...oh look there's a car...let's hotwire it.

If you're wondering why the fabric of society is disintergrating, this is it. High rents. Pubs can't stay open, kids got nowhere to go. No little haberdashery for the ladies to catch up on gossip, they watch TV instead. All the while the house price inflates, until the mortgage is so high that once again, the benefit claimants are targeted. Get stressed and crushed at work...trouble paying the bills...twit of a boss...mother of 5 on benefits in a big house...It makes my blood BOIL...

Big recession 1970 and no-one in employment gave a toss if you wanted to be lazy. If you wanted to sign on, go sign on, spend the rest of your life on the dole if you wanted. Plenty of people didn't take that option, they preferred to work and they did well out of it. The office types had a reasonable mortgage and once 5 years into it were better off than renters. Stay at home wife and the biggest problem with dining out was not affording it, it was finding a baby sitter. Seems idyllic now doesn't it? If I can get you that lifestyle back is it ok for me to doss about? :)

We need low rents so badly. If not, some form of subsidy for the businesses that ARE the fabric of our society.

Cheers I will remember that, and the name little proffessor....

Do that - he's a tw@t.

He's the one who suggested that because I'm a tradesman rather than a doctor like him I should be earning less money.

The cheek!

Edited by Mr Yogi

They will be joining CandA, Texas, Norweb, spud ulike

I don't think we ever had a Spud-U-Like in Sheffield. I remember seeing one in Manchester though.

Way back in '91, we went on a school field trip - in Bognor!!! One of the students decided he would go into Woolies and nick some CDs causing great upset to his Geography teacher.

Why, was there nothing there he liked?

I think it must be at least 20 years since I last bought anything at Woolies so I'm partly responsible for their demise I guess. If they go, I won't be surprised.They're a holdover from a different era of shopping.

So Brown's bust is going to officially finish off Wolloies then. I hope this sticks and that the British public never forgive him.

I think this is great news. Forget CPI figures, base rates, Public borrowing etc etc, this will really spook the sheeple into taking this seriously instead of dismissing it as a problem that started in America. Depite its failings Woolworths is a real British brand that generations have grown up with and loved, its going to bring home the severity of the problem until recently and a handful have either cared about or understood.

A couple more Woolies' and Brown'll be right in the ****.

Edited by chefdave

There is still a Wimpy's in Nottingham if I recall.

You recall correctly - in the corner of the godforsaken Broadmarsh Centre. Awful position - wouldn't go there even if I had a taste for the food.

I remember Woolies from before the war. It was in the middle of Wembley High Street, opposite M&S. Wasn't it called the 3d and 6d store. A forerunner of the pound shops I suppose.

I remember Woolies from before the war. It was in the middle of Wembley High Street, opposite M&S. Wasn't it called the 3d and 6d store. A forerunner of the pound shops I suppose.

Anyone remember Woolco?

The creation of Woolco coincided with the expansion of suburbia. Woolworth's flagship stores were still doing well, but the company wanted to tap into the growing discount department store market without diluting its dominant position in the variety store business.

What used to be a Shefield Woolco is now a branch of Wilkinsons.

The loss of Woolies will have a special significance to me as I first met my wife-to-be there on Boxing Day 2002. We got chatting in - you've guessed it - a massive queue for the tills.

The last thing I bought was Trial of the Timelord on DVD - so their reputation for selling crap can go untarnished.

Something is definitely going on. Yesterday the woolie's website sold toys and electricals. Today those items have disappeared.

Damn, where will I now buy my extra long shoelaces?

I know that recently Woolies were involved in some rather protracted rent review uplifts; will serve the greedy landlords right if they do go under.