House Price Crash Forum

Wondering what everyone else is doing under the circumstances.

Never been a better time to live with the folks, sad as it may sound. £100 a month rent, most of the rest 'disposable'. The joy.

Apologies if this has been done before. Hope this thing works.

I have to say i moved out from the folks when i turned 17 and went to uni (for the first time) I'd take student digs and my own rented flat any day of the week. Then again, my parents may be a bit more restictive than most.

Still, sometime a push is as good as a pull and i would never have had the fun i did living at home.

As someone now in late 30's i have to say there are things i enjoyed at 20 that i would not be able to enjoy now. (if you know what i mean)

Just a thought about what is really important in life -- experiences and fun!

this just shows how this forum is over-bearish [thats not to say that HP's are on the way down] due to slightly skewed bias of contributions from renters.

why is everyone wishing a recession? everyone suffers in a recession, people lose jobs, those left working pay to support those not in many indirect ways. just misery all round. i'm all for HP's gradually falling 10-20% over 3 years but we dont want a crash surely?

why is everyone wishing a recession?

I'm not condoning it, but there is a (semi-justifiable) sentiment among the priced-out that they couldn't possibly be any worse-off: priced-out, no home to call their own, slogging their guts out each day to fund a landlord's life of idle indulgence (cf. Rosie Millard); why not wish for a recession? what difference would it make? In some respects they'd be better off on the dole (cf. the single mother on channel 4 tonight with 5 kids living in a three-bed semi-detached house living entirely on benefits; there are hundreds of thousands of claimants like her up and down the country).

Edited by zzg113
this just shows how this forum is over-bearish [thats not to say that HP's are on the way down] due to slightly skewed bias of contributions from renters.

why is everyone wishing a recession? everyone suffers in a recession, people lose jobs, those left working pay to support those not in many indirect ways. just misery all round. i'm all for HP's gradually falling 10-20% over 3 years but we dont want a crash surely?

I'm not wishing a recession on anyone. My job may be at risk if there is one. What I do wish though is a reduction in house prices. Otherwise I'll be working 12 hours days, 7 days a week and never seeing my family - just to put a roof over their heads.

i left home at 16 for 1 year

back with parents for 1 year got sick of it no money

rented again for year no money

back home again

moved ouyt again for 1 year again to expensive

Been back with parents for 2 years

Am much as i want a placce of my own, i can not afford it

I have now saved enough for a hefty deposit but as i could see no light and being made redundent i have started my own business, maybee not the best time but is the only way i will be able to get enoughj to own a property in my area.

I was in a very good job with good pay, but still not enough

it was never going to be any other way once HPI got to a sickening 300%. the only way to stave off a downturn was to increase HPI to 400% and thats just not going to happen.

A recession benefits people who keep their job and people who haved saved their money. The people who lose out are those who have over extended themselves and frittered their money away on the trinkets and ephemera of contemporary living. It migth hurt in the short term but a recession (short and sharp) always benefits the economy in the long run.

There is also a selfish motivation... A lot fo people over 30 will have seen the economic cycle go round at least once and realise the opportunities that a recession offers. Position yourself correctly at the end of the recession and you can catch the up turn when and if it ever arrives.

I'm not condoning it, but there is a (semi-justifiable) sentiment among the priced-out that they couldn't possibly be any worse-off: priced-out, no home to call their own, slogging their guts out each day to fund a landlord's life of idle indulgence (cf. Rosie Millard); why not wish for a recession? what difference would it make? In some respects they'd be better off on the dole (cf. the single mother on channel 4 tonight with 5 kids living in a three-bed semi-detached house living entirely on benefits; there are hundreds of thousands of claimants like her up and down the country).

Also, there's the point that a down turn is a return to a more balanced economic cycle, so some economic normaility can be seen. The higher it goes the more painful the downside (who knows where this bubbles consequences are gonna end though :blink: )

That woman with the 5 kids was horrific, I can't watch that sort of screaming nightmare anymore.

I was a home owner until 28/04/05. I believe a house is a home not an investment, I was not 100% happy living there for a number of reasons, that I am not prepared to discuss, could not believe what houses were selling for in proportion to salaries, did not (and still dont) believe the prices could be sustained, made the decision to rent & to go back in once it has cooled by 20-30%.

not wishing - it is happening - the writing is on the wall

Edited by adrianj
So why have you STRed, hypocrite?

Clueless (approporiate nick in this instance), he sold it because it was unsatisfactory as a home, not because it was unsatisfactory as an investment:

I was not 100% happy living there for a number of reasons

I may be wrong, and I apologise if I am , but this kind of comment seems remarkebly similar to the sort of comments from other forums.

Its not that we are wishing for a recession as such, its kind of two fold. Firstly we are telling it how it is (or at least how we see it). We don't have any delusions that we can actually effect anything by what we say here. Secondly we do wish for house prices to fall, unfortunately the consequence of this is that this country will fall into recession. If we thought there was a way of getting house prices to fall without the country falling into recession, we would certainly be supporting it. But it wasn't us that sent things astronomical and got ourselves into heavy debts. It is these people who will be to blame for the collapse. Gordon Brown is right on one thing, and that is that Boom and Bust is bad, smooth and steady is best, even though it means we have to work for our living and aren't able to ever make a quick free buck, but in that way we avoid the nastiness that is recessions.

Alas it is human nature to be greedy and to cause Booms followed by Busts. We will ride this wave and see where it leads us. For me, myself, I am already on this wave, having been made redundant from Marconi more than 2 years ago and living through what has been a very definate recession in the Tech industry, I have had two other jobs, both of which have ended badly. It certainly is going to be hard for a lot of peeple, including people on this board, but when we do eventually find our feet, at least we will be able to afford a house, and in the meantime our deposit savings make good support for the lean times!

I'm currently living with parents. I sold my house in March 2005, and had been on the property ladder for 5 years. Unfortunately my last house did not make as much as I had hoped, and hopping onto the market would've been madness.

I'm sitting back and waiting to see what will happen. Unfortunately this may entail me chucking my furniture away as it is in storage and will cost more to store than to replace in the future if I have to wait a while! :unsure:

So why not move somewhere more suitable? Maybe the thought of losing a packet in the coming months or the thought of negative equity perhaps?

I have moved to a fantasic 3 bed house, ok its rented but it is a million times better than the house I owned.

Yes I thought I would lose a packet as I had previously stated "could not believe what houses were selling for in proportion to salaries, did not (and still dont) believe the prices could be sustained, made the decision to rent & to go back in once it has cooled by 20-30%"

I'm not condoning it, but there is a (semi-justifiable) sentiment among the priced-out that they couldn't possibly be any worse-off: priced-out, no home to call their own, slogging their guts out each day to fund a landlord's life of idle indulgence

Yeah that comment is on the money.

I've grafted my way through uni, now have a decent job and have ****** all to show for it. Yet some ordinary Joey is living the dream on the back of house price rises/ some suckers rent. Things usually go tits up when Joey starts making easy money, it seems to be a recurring theme.

Things can only get better. (I've heard that before somewhere!)

I dont disagree with the sentiment of slogging guts out etc. I grafted my way through uni and have been through the late 80s/early 90s recession, and slog my guts day in, day out myself. People will still be slogging their guts out irrespective of a crash happening - its called the rat race and no-one to my knowledge has a fast cure for that. Personally I dont want to see a recession of the type that saw my father go bankrupt last time around for no fault of his own other than his clients unable to pay for work done due to their bad cash-flow situations. Make no mistake, recessions hit business cash-flow and companies go to the wall.

I know that HPs are 30-50% overpriced but we need this to come down gradually over a 2-3 years or risk panic taking when prices crash leading to HP freefall which will hit alot of innocent people hard - and just possibly start the next HP boom going again due to over-correction.

However, my main point was glossed over. The results of the poll show that most people coming onto this forum are renters [and theres nothing wrong with that BTW]. Clearly renters will have a diff view from owners and diff property objectives. Renters want prices to drop/crash, owners generally want prices to be stable to maintain their equity.

BTW Topher Bear, I dont read or contribute to other house price forums. My outlook is actually generally bear-ish considering US, China, unemployment increase, etc but as Joe Bloggs average house owner I simply dont want the type of recession resulting from a crash just a gradual corrective slide.