House Price Crash Forum

Uk Motorcycle Industry On The Way To Implosion

bikers are a bunch of resource wasters. riding around aimlessly, burning precious fuels in the blink of an eye that took millions of years to form - then stopping for a burger and standing around looking like a right t*t in their stupid gear and going home to scrape dead flies off. confirmation that the human race is packed to the rafters with thickos.

I don't know what you do in your leisure time so I will have to make do with critisising your job. Aren't conveyancing solicitors the ones who can't get a job in a better branch of the legal profession.

I reckon this must be true because every time I have been forced to use one they have made a complete balls-up of the whole thing.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what you do in your leisure time so I will have to make do with critisising your job. Aren't conveyancing solicitors the ones who can't get a job in a better branch of the legal profession.

I reckon this must be true because every time I have been forced to use one they have made a complete balls-up of the whole thing.

Cruel I suppose to mock the redundent or soon to be redundent. Difficult not to however after being called a thick aimless stupid waster and a right tlt.

Well thanks for avoiding personal insults this time...progress! Look, you keep misunderstanding my original post. I realise there are plenty of alternatives if you want to buy any kind of bike or scooter. My point is that the MARKETING of bikes in the UK is heavily weighted towards powerful and ever more gas guzzling machines and there is an inbuilt prejudice in most of the biking press against machines which are just as well made and just as pleasurable to ride, but because they don't happen to have 120 bhp they are often sidelined. That is certainly reflected by the sales figures which, unlike the rest of Europe, show a huge bias away from lower powered machines. I concede that car magazines are similar and they assume that drivers are only interested in fantasy cars they will never be able to afford. I believe that is a myopic and shallow attitude.

There is very little marketing of motorbikes to the general public in the UK. Of the adverts I've seen Suzuki comes to mind and its mostly their scooters. UK sales figures are more a reflection of the better weather you get in southern Europe making two wheeled transport a viable option. You won't get many scooter sales in Northern Europe because you have to be dedicated to ride a bike and if you are will want a bigger bike for longer journeys (125cc scooter on the motorway? not fun).

There is an exception where scooters are overwhelming in number and that is in central London with the congestion charge. So I don't see any merit in any of your arguments (which I last heard many years ago before the rise of the scooter).

So has anyone got any examples of bike dealers doing heavy discounting because I can't find the equivalent of a "drive the deal" type website for bikes....

In 1995, I bought an RGV250 with 5K on the clock for 5 grand.

In 2007, twelve inflation laden years later, I bought an SV650 with 2K on the clock for 2.5 grand.

Because of the price of the Yen, dealers have been doing heavy discounting for several years.

I would actually expect the prices of imported bikes to head higher, rather than lower, over the next few years. Sure, much lower sales volumes, but our pound won't buy nearly as much rising sun as it used to.

There is very little marketing of motorbikes to the general public in the UK. Of the adverts I've seen Suzuki comes to mind and its mostly their scooters. UK sales figures are more a reflection of the better weather you get in southern Europe making two wheeled transport a viable option. You won't get many scooter sales in Northern Europe because you have to be dedicated to ride a bike and if you are will want a bigger bike for longer journeys (125cc scooter on the motorway? not fun).

Some fair points, except the last above. I have a 400 cc Scoot, and not only is it great fun, but it's quick at the lights, and cruises above the national speed limit with ease, is supremely comfortable, blocks the wind and does 80 mpg. On an average journey, and including a 300 mile trip to the West Country absolutely equal to any big bike I have owned in the past.

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

Some fair points, except the last above. I have a 400 cc Scoot, and not only is it great fun, but it's quick at the lights, and cruises above the national speed limit with ease, is supremely comfortable, blocks the wind and does 80 mpg. On an average journey, and including a 300 mile trip to the West Country absolutely equal to any big bike I have owned in the past.

VP

Well, a 125cc Scooter is not a 400cc scooter.

400cc makes it a big bike, is the mileage much better than a sports bike? I doubt it. I've had 65mpg from a Triumph 955i. 45-50 is normal. You claim 80mpg, but I doubt you get that in town all the time. Other people report 60mpg absolute maximum.

The Burgman weighs more than sports bike which is the biggest issue in consumption, so they you get to arguing about luggage and wind protection which are all personal preference issue.

To be honest you sound like a another of the bike tribes you object to; in your case the 'chip on his shoulder, inferiority complex scooter rider'.

Edited by Peter Hun