House Price Crash Forum

Now On The Str Track

ezekiel

I persuaded the wife that we needed to STR the other day. Had EAs round today who have given a reasonable valuation for the house. They all said it would have been 15% higher 8 months ago (this includes a current price that they tell me is market leading - I made it clear I didn't want to f*** about).

They tell me to expect to be negotated down a further few % points.

They also tell me 10-50% of deals get gazundered (I admitted I'd do the same if I was buying - not sure if that went down well) if they take much longer than 6-8 weeks to exchange.

So anyway - that's the feedback, thought you'd be interested.

Oh and by the way, I'm shi**ing my pants about having to rent, where to put the money, if I'm doing the wrong thing, what savings rates will do, what it will be like to rent for 2-3 years etc etc.

it would almost be worth keeping the house because I'd be less nervous.

Got to keep my eye on the prize. And maybe got some mogodon from the docs to keep me calm. :unsure:

I persuaded the wife that we needed to STR the other day. Had EAs round today who have given a reasonable valuation for the house. They all said it would have been 15% higher 8 months ago (this includes a current price that they tell me is market leading - I made it clear I didn't want to f*** about).

They also tell me 10-50% of deals get gazundered (I admitted I'd do the same if I was buying - not sure if that went down well) if they take much longer than 6-8 weeks to exchange.

Oh and by the way, I'm shi**ing my pants about having to rent, where to put the money, if I'm doing the wrong thing, what savings rates will do, what it will be like to rent for 2-3 years etc etc.

Got to keep my eye on the prize. And maybe got some mogodon from the docs to keep me calm. :unsure:

If you own your house with no mortgage i recommend you stay and build up funds, you dont want to be too greedy.

You need to look at what will happen to you if you lose your job? you'll have to eat away at your funds, and recieve no help from the government, however if you stay your more likely to receive help from the government.

If you STRed 2 years ago you would have been in a very good situation, as house prices would have fallen and you'll end up with a better home if you lost your job. you could have purchased a home and then signed on or recieve help from the state.

Fair play.

Remember, you might get a cash buyer along hoping to complete sharpish- I'd seriously consider it ahead of 'chained' buyers, even if the price is a bit less, without knowing your situation of course. Other than that, bargain hard on the rent-it's a renters market!

use PropertyBee if you dont already to see reductions and stuff that's been on the market for a while(requires Firefox, but well worth it)

There are somethings worth worrying about and others that are not.

worry about:

a) whether you will be able to sell at all

B) what savings rates will be

do not worry about:

a) having to rent

B) where to put money - just spread it , and stick to UK banks - I am of the opinion that no UK depositor will lose money invested in a UK high street bank even if its over £50k, but if you are worried split it between banks

Jeysus renting is just like the end of the world man. People will look down their noses at you and all. :rolleyes:

Jeysus renting is just like the end of the world man. People will look down their noses at you and all. :rolleyes:

I'm sure people who know me think I'm a scumbag already ;) - they're probably right.

Seriously, my concern isn't what other people think (stopped worrying about that when I left school). Most worried about getting a house that's decent quality for the kids to live in (in our area so no schooling issues) and not having a landlord who plays silly bu**ers. The concern is that when I need a place in my location there won't be anything I can afford - yikes!

Thx. But you joined here 2 years ago and you're nervous about selling in November 2008. Hmmm... How come you didn't sell before? Rhetorical.

Thx. But you joined here 2 years ago and you're nervous about selling in November 2008. Hmmm... How come you didn't sell before? Rhetorical.

He has a wife. Kids as well, but it's probably the wife that will have made the difference. There are exceptions, and some post on here, but IME women are usually the driving force behind property purchases and the resisting force on property sales. Ask any agent.