House Price Crash Forum

Middle-class Rescue In Uk

dr ray

listening to R4 this morning at 7ish, talk moved on from Obama to Gm/Fords etc. 3mil employed in the auto industry, possibility that they'll (the maunfacturers) all be saved (they have to, if not for national pride if for no other reason) but the employment in the industry has to shrink by 50%. Anyhow got me thinking re. a social wage, do the US keep 1.5mil employed in the car industry planning/buying/putting on widgets...to continue with the illusion that all is well, meanwhile cars get piled up like tins of beans? Or does the US govt face up to the fact that a new way of thinking has to be adopted, actually begin to think the unthinkable? There will be millions made unemployed in the US over the next two years, perhaps 4mil, do other millions remain in work susbsidised by the govt. as the govt scale up unimaginable debts rather than accept that certain industries have finally reached their zenith?

Edited by Converted Lurker

listening to R4 this morning at 7ish, talk moved on from Obama to Gm/Fords etc. 3mil employed in the auto industry, possibility that they'll (the maunfacturers) all be saved (they have to, if not for national pride if for no other reason) but the employment in the industry has to shrink by 50%. Anyhow got me thinking re. a social wage, do the US keep 1.5mil employed in the car industry planning/buying/putting on widgets...to continue with the illusion that all is well, meanwhile cars get piled up like tins of beans? Or does the US govt face up to the fact that a new way of thinking has to be adopted, actually begin to think the unthinkable? There will be millions made unemployed in the US over the next two years, perhaps 4mil, do other millions remain in work susbsidised by the govt. as the govt scale up unimaginable debts rather than accept that certain industries have finally reached their zenith?

When I was in the USA in the early 90s recession government was giving (I think) $1000 to people to scrap their old cars. This would work in the USA now and in the UK too.

UK government should buy back all large BMWs, Jaguars, Mercedes and 4x4s and scrap them. Would stimulate the economy, help the middle classes and help meet Kyoto committment.

Telegraph article

How would this work in the UK with its different class system?

Duty reduction on Chardonnay? VED holiday on Range Rovers? Council tax free second homes?

Any more suggestions. Light hearted ones preferred but I don't think you need encouraging!

May I suggest free access to museums and art galleries?

Oops, I forgot, we already have that one.

In America any one who isn't on benefits but earning less than about £100k a year is 'middle class'. They don't have the concept of working class - you are either sleeping on the streets, middle class or rich.

But you do have the concept of a "blue collar" worker, which is something akin to the British concept of working class.

When I was in the USA in the early 90s recession government was giving (I think) $1000 to people to scrap their old cars. This would work in the USA now and in the UK too.

UK government should buy back all large BMWs, Jaguars, Mercedes and 4x4s and scrap them. Would stimulate the economy, help the middle classes and help meet Kyoto committment.

the recent economic stimulus package in the US was quite bizarre, you needed a heartbeat/pay roll number, not a useless lump of metal. Most used it to pay the mortgage for a month - went straight back into the arms of the banks. Perhaps it was a simple dry run on a tiny scale of a bigger pattern to emerge later... <_<

the recent economic stimulus package in the US was quite bizarre, you needed a heartbeat/pay roll number, not a useless lump of metal. Most used it to pay the mortgage for a month - went straight back into the arms of the banks. Perhaps it was a simple dry run on a tiny scale of a bigger pattern to emerge later... <_<

Yes I knew this. As a stimulus package it was a failure which is why I suggested the government buy up all the gas guzzling cars as they did in the States in the 1990s. On a previous post I suggested they give poor people vouchers to spend on flat screen tvs or cars (although these are imported so would only help retailers).

Free holidays in Butlins or Centre Parcs would help the economy and would guarantee Gordon Brown the next election. It would cost a lot less than the bonuses the bankers are paying themselves out of our money.

Edited by dr ray

[. On a previous post I suggested they give poor people vouchers to spend on flat screen tvs or cars (although these are imported so would only help retailers).

Everything's imported, it seems. Anyone have any ideas about a stimulus package that could only be spent on British made stuff?

Scottish Whisky sounds good.

[. On a previous post I suggested they give poor people vouchers to spend on flat screen tvs or cars (although these are imported so would only help retailers).

Everything's imported, it seems. Anyone have any ideas about a stimulus package that could only be spent on British made stuff?

Gordon could declare it "credit crunch happy hour" between 9pm and 11pm on a Friday night...free booze at every pub in the land, all paid for by the taxpayer.

Would stop the pubs going bust, help the brewers and maybe encourage the middle classes to start pro-creating again hence defusing the pension time bomb.

Edited by Dunroamin'

Protectionism and next youll be asking for tarriffs. This is another sign of deflation of credit.

Gordon could declare it "credit crunch happy hour" between 9pm and 11pm on a Friday night...free booze at every pub in the land, all paid for by the taxpayer.

Would stop the pubs going bust, help the brewers and maybe encourage the middle classes to start pro-creating again hence defusing the pension time bomb.

D'ya know - I was going to post exactly this but I thought I was hogging the thread.

The other benefit is that everyone will be rat-arsed most of the time and will forget how bad the situation really is. It will also give them somewhere warm to sit when they have no job and the house is too expensive to heat.

You're my besht friend Gordon - shure I'll vote for you. Get the next round in.

What do the folks on here think about whisky as currency?

My parents used to run a business which dealt with a lot of americans back in the 1960s and they often paid in ciggs or whisky. Everyone smoked in those days but I would think ciggis are less useful for trading now but whisky must be almost as secure as gold as a hedge against £ devaluation. It doesn't go off either.

Anyone stocking up.

I tried last week when Sainsbury had a good deal but I'm halfway through my emergency asset already.

Edited by dr ray