'Bart'

HOLA441
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Happy? Absolutely. The country's undergoing a massive bout of normality. It's bloody brilliant. Yeah, it's going to be a bumpy ride, but who gives a monkey's if the end result is not having to take out a bowel-shattering large amount of debt just to buy a bog-ordinary house.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Yes Happy, Yes Optimistic........

Not optimistic for the country but for family/personal reasons I have found this whole HPC a joyful experience and a source of optimism for the future :rolleyes:

I have wanted to start a thread before but it would probably be too cheerful for HPC :lol:

HOLA446
HOLA447

I answered "yes" to both since I don't want to be detained without charge for 28 days on account of not being "with the programme".

<_<

I guess, the honest answer to the first is more no than yes; but more yes than no to the second. The opposite of other posts....

I'm not happy (though I'm happier now than I was a year ago) but I'm extremely optimistic that, relative to what I consider important, things can't get worse - so the only way is up. By that I don't mean that the stock markets will go up, or that we will see a consumer heaven... but rather that I expect a new honesty to descend on a people who can no longer kite debts; where it isn't assumed appropriate to abuse those who you perceive to have less access to credit - presuming the ability to borrow somehow makes one superior. I think there is a chance that economic situations will make it worthwhile working - and that criminal activity is not the only way to survive long-term. Optimistic. I expect an economic depression - which is exactly what society needs - I'm optimistic it is a plausible outcome - irrespective of political moves to prevent this.

I'm especially optimistic that the US might legislate to appropriately regulate US financial institutions - and, with that, take care of the greatest menace that attacks the free world. I look forward to a future where people invest their savings rather than with eye-watering leverage; where there is a point to working hard and earning money.

Edited by A.steve

HOLA448

Split about even so far.

I voted happy, but not optimistic.

I had to think a bit about the "happy" vote though. Although I'm not living the kind of life that people seem to live on TV commercials, I've a lot to be thankful for.

Glad it's all over and I can go and live a simply existence not in the UK.

It would be interesting to see how the place (UK) strikes you if you come back for a visit. Will you end up feeling like Michael Palin in the very last bit of Michael Palin's "Around the World in 80 Days". It deals with his return to the UK after 3 months of travel.

After finding friendliness and hospitality the world over, he comes back to our clapped-out railway system, an unfriendly lorry driver, unsmiling jobsworths, a newspaper vendor who won't be filmed and a Reform Club that refuses to allow filming of the completion of his epic journey.

As Palin himself says, "What is happening? This is my home and yet I feel like a stranger in a foreign land. Are these sour and surly faces my countrymen? The generousity, curiousity and helpfulness that I've met in every country in the world seems to have run out here".

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest Mr Parry
Split about even so far.

I voted happy, but not optimistic.

I had to think a bit about the "happy" vote though. Although I'm not living the kind of life that people seem to live on TV commercials, I've a lot to be thankful for.

It would be interesting to see how the place (UK) strikes you if you come back for a visit. Will you end up feeling like Michael Palin in the very last bit of Michael Palin's "Around the World in 80 Days". It deals with his return to the UK after 3 months of travel.

After finding friendliness and hospitality the world over, he comes back to our clapped-out railway system, an unfriendly lorry driver, unsmiling jobsworths, a newspaper vendor who won't be filmed and a Reform Club that refuses to allow filming of the completion of his epic journey.

As Palin himself says, "What is happening? This is my home and yet I feel like a stranger in a foreign land. Are these sour and surly faces my countrymen? The generousity, curiousity and helpfulness that I've met in every country in the world seems to have run out here".

This happens to me every year. Not coming back next year.

This year has been the worst. I came back, got over-worked again, got sick, got arrested . . . all I will say is the NHS have been brilliant.

I am a stranger here now (UK). It's lonely being away from home. But still, not long now.

HOLA4412
Guest Mr Parry
I'm an optimistic nihilist. Nothing really matters, and that's very comforting. :lol:

And yet and yet, I don't think i could live in a bus and stay as cheerful as AcidRob is....

Yes, done that for years and it gets tough after a while.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest Mr Parry
I'm starting to feel like that and I've always lived here. :(

Don't despair. Reckon the UK is still a good place to live. It's not that bad and I think (hope) there will be a sea change in attitudes in the near future.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
I'm blissful as ever Bart (which includes a few ups and downs).

Good man. ;) If things ever started to get you down Durch, we really would be in the soup!

Just to go all esoteric on you, I can't help feel that Albion is the centre of the world. That somehow the excesses of the end and the worst must happen here first.

You've traveled a bit though haven't you Durch? I've only been abroad once, and that was nearly 30 years ago. I wonder if that might make a difference? Maybe you need to be away from the UK for a decent length of time to be able to see it more clearly.

Mr. P certainly fits into that category and he says "Reckon the UK is still a good place to live. It's not that bad and I think (hope) there will be a sea change in attitudes in the near future."

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Happy ? Yes... drinking a glass of wine.

Optimistic ? Yes..... there's more wine in the rack.

HOLA4424
Guest Mr Parry
Yes, I only really came to love it when I thought I was never coming back. Suddenly tea and toast, all those hobbit-like pubs and frosty mornings spring into focus.

Now that's what I'm talking about, Durch!

All those little things that made Britain a great place will come back into 'focus'.

Not so sure about the frosty morning though.

HOLA4425