House Price Crash Forum

I am watching the prices south of Northampton around Hunsbury, Wootton and Grange Park.  There seems to be loads on the market and not much happening.  Anyone else looking at this area?

yep - watching it quite closely.

i rent in an area a little to the north of yours

in the town + i have to say that there has been a

little flurry of sold signs on some FTB property.

however the signs have been up for weeks and weeks

now, so it will be interesting whether they actually

complete or not.

the local rag's weekly property section is 104 pages

long - it has been so for months now and indicates the

huge increase in supply.

i'm looking to buy in northamptonshire, but in the

north, probably in one of the villages or small towns.

i watch rightmove and prices are drifting downwards

by a few K here and there. some of these little FTB terraces/

cottages have been up for sale for nigh on a year now!

good luck!

:)

Edited by gasket37

We don't actually live there yet as we are currently living abroad due to work. We would like to live in the Wootton area but prices are a little outside our range!! We can wait a few years for the prices to get a bit more 'Normal'!! I have been keeping my eye on them on Right Move and there is definitly more for sale now.

:D Greetings, i have been away for a while. (Lost my password, and moved house). I am now on my second rental, and am living in a lovely cottage, for a monthly rent well below the mortgage needed to buy it.

I STR'd in August 2004, and have had my doubts over time as to the wisdom of this decision but now I am certain it was right.

My big worry was the spring bounce but after reading the rightmove and rics reports for April, I am happy as larry.

I am looking (sort of) in south northants villages. I actualy hope that the special house does not come up in the next year, as I reckon we have a good 15% to go. I also feel that I could buy my house back at least 5% less than I sold for. So that will be 20% in 2 years - well worth 2 years of rental.

There is a two tier market now. Those houses on at last years prices, some recent instructions, some a year old (not selling), and a second tier of realisticaly priced (relatively) new instructions. reality is starting to bite.

I strongly recomend that you hold out for 12 months.

I work for a big retailer, and let me tell you a recession is on the way.

Hawkeye, you say you work in retail and a recession is on it's way...I guess your closer to it than I (manufacturing) but I see little downturn at work (sales are up) so given that your closer to the ground, what kind of evidence are you seeing of a recession looming ?

I happen to agree with you, mind.

what kind of evidence are you seeing of a recession looming ?

how about the front page of the Independent!

Seriously, it can be seen in flat/falling Like for Like sales, tighter budget control, recruitment freeze, and discusions on how to process job cuts if necessary.

Just as in a rising market, every increase fuels the fire, in a falling market, every bit of negative news puts more water on to the fire. This is one of the downsides of capitalism - markets have to move - no change, is not an option. :ph34r:

Great editorial in the property section of the local northampton rag (107 pages!!!!).

Quotes 4 articles

1. Signs are all positive (full employment etc) but not backed up by activity

2. Local buiding analyst - builders opening up new sites quickly so that they can meet sales targets and sell at a price linked to what they spent on the land (i.e. before the crash) - quoted as expecting 10% fall over 2 years - all very bad news for resale vendors.

3. Nationwide analyst saying 2% annual growth by year end - yeah right!

4. RICS chairman saying most people don't think the 25% predicted crash will happen - even talking about it makes it more likely!

The tone of them all was very bearish, and quite a few price reduced properties from last year. He Ho and of we go - Only a matter of time.

:blink:

We don't actually live there yet as we are currently living abroad due to work.  We would like to live in the Wootton area but prices are a little outside our range!!  We can wait a few years for the prices to get a bit more 'Normal'!!  I have been keeping my eye on them on Right Move and there is definitly more for sale now.

Ah Wootton, nice place, great for the kids, I lived there from 95 to 99, bought a 4 bed (Bryant) at 103k sold at 135k.... now valued at 250k

Most people were in negative equity still or just climbing out of it when I moved there... I on the other hand had saved a 20k deposit.

Good luck!

Ah Wootton, nice place, great for the kids, I lived there from 95 to 99, bought a 4 bed (Bryant) at 103k sold at 135k.... now valued at 250k

Most people were in negative equity still or just climbing out of it when I moved there... I on the other hand had saved a 20k deposit.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info! I remember looking at the Bellway ones at Grange Park when they were being built in 2001 and they have gone up 100K too!

They have to comedown!! :)