House Price Crash Forum

Christmas Is Cancelled

pathfinder

HOLA441

Following the Team meeting last week you will remember that *top brass* told us that due to the financial downturn there will unfortunately be no company money made available for the Christmas Lunch.

I am of the opinion that the majority will still wish to have a Christmas lunch and so we have kept our booking for this year. The difference is that we will all have to pay for our own food and drink this year. With this in mind, please see the attached menu for the *overpriced dump* (where we had the Christmas lunch last year). For those of you that came last year you will remember that it was good food, drink and company and a great venue for a get together. It is £29.95 each for a three course meal.

Glad im contract, most people dont want to rock the boat ... anyone else getting this :D.

HOLA442

Mate of mine said that last week all the staff got called into a meeting.

Got the usual credit crunch/business downturn shpeel.

Shortly afterward on the same day they made 5 people redundant (10% of workforce) then cancelled the chrimbo night out.

They didnt keep the booking......... nor was anyone in the mood for xmas at that point.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Christmas is always cancelled if you work for the ambulance service!! Still, I knew that

when I signed up so I'm not moaning in any way.

I do though feel sorry for the prat at the uni open day who asked 'do you have to work

weekends and evenings as a paramedic?'. Course leaders look was totally priceless. :lol:

HOLA446
HOLA447
Mate of mine said that last week all the staff got called into a meeting.

Got the usual credit crunch/business downturn shpeel.

Shortly afterward on the same day they made 5 people redundant (10% of workforce) then cancelled the chrimbo night out.

They didnt keep the booking......... nor was anyone in the mood for xmas at that point.

Where was this? Sounds like you mate works for my place.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

How can a 30 quid a head xmas dinner be an expense that a company employing people can't stretch to?

Things must be tight to the point of mismanaged at these companies. Either that or it's any excuse to save a few bob and sod the employees, in which case maybe you're better off working elsewhere anyway.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Christmas is always cancelled if you work for the ambulance service!! Still, I knew that

when I signed up so I'm not moaning in any way.

I do though feel sorry for the prat at the uni open day who asked 'do you have to work

weekends and evenings as a paramedic?'. Course leaders look was totally priceless. :lol:

Great name.

HOLA4414
Guest tbatst2000
How can a 30 quid a head xmas dinner be an expense that a company employing people can't stretch to?

Speaking from experience here, it's not the price per head that gets discussed, it's the total price. The argument usually comes down to 'but it's only 30 quid per person', followed by, 'that's 30*500, who shall we sack to pay for it?'.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Speaking from experience here, it's not the price per head that gets discussed, it's the total price. The argument usually comes down to 'but it's only 30 quid per person', followed by, 'that's 30*500, who shall we sack to pay for it?'.

Yes but the number of likely attendees indicates the size of the organisation. A 10 man company should be able to blow a poxy 300 quid once a year, and larger organisations should also have the money to spend in proportion to their size, it really should be a trivial amount that won't require anyone to be sacked! If it's not then I would fear for the future of such a company!

It's being tight for the sake of it, and what is the cost of low morale in comparison anyway? Who can afford not to?

It's small minded tight fistedness for it's own sake. No excuse for it.

HOLA4419
Guest tbatst2000
Yes but the number of likely attendees indicates the size of the organisation. A 10 man company should be able to blow a poxy 300 quid once a year, and larger organisations should also have the money to spend in proportion to their size, it really should be a trivial amount that won't require anyone to be sacked! If it's not then I would fear for the future of such a company!

It's being tight for the sake of it, and what is the cost of low morale in comparison anyway? Who can afford not to?

I merely report from personal experience, I'm not making any moral judgement. Every time I've been in the situation where a firm is losing money, the conversations have basically been the same: what costs can we cut before we start having to cut people. Myself, I'd rather work for a firm that did it that way around than the other, but each to their own I guess.

HOLA4420

it is retarded middle management

we had an email from CEO asking everyone to submit ideas to save costs or improve products.

middle management where suggesting ******** like printing on both sides of paper and turning lights off and paying for your own meals on company days out. if they think that is going to save them, god help us all.

a few of the smarter engineers, myself inc, suggested various ideas that would save 0.5-1.0m each. yet some dumb asses think turning the lights off is going to somehow help via the £2.67p yearly electric saving.

I suppose it is middle managements idea of doing something, anything. They clearly don't have any skills or understanding of the process which is why in a company of 3000 workers they come up with turning the f.lights off.

HOLA4421
it is retarded middle management

we had an email from CEO asking everyone to submit ideas to save costs or improve products.

middle management where suggesting ******** like printing on both sides of paper and turning lights off and paying for your own meals on company days out. if they think that is going to save them, god help us all.

a few of the smarter engineers, myself inc, suggested various ideas that would save 0.5-1.0m each. yet some dumb asses think turning the lights off is going to somehow help via the £2.67p yearly electric saving.

I suppose it is middle managements idea of doing something, anything. They clearly don't have any skills or understanding of the process which is why in a company of 3000 workers they come up with turning the f.lights off.

I agree - see this all the time. All the focus on cutting costs is about dropping down a hotel class or two, travelling off-peak, all that guff. The idiots should be challenging production methods, sales processes etc. Stupid clots.

HOLA4422
I agree - see this all the time. All the focus on cutting costs is about dropping down a hotel class or two, travelling off-peak, all that guff. The idiots should be challenging production methods, sales processes etc. Stupid clots.

Yep sadly our lot are as you describe

I think directors and upper management intentionally put stupid people into middle management positions to make themselves look a bit better.

HOLA4423

At my old work, they decided to install motion sensors on every 16W light in every cupboard, stairwell and WC.... £45ish each x 34 units (I saw the invoice) plus 2-3 days installation costs. Hmmm, that should pay for itself within about 15 years then... They never listen to their own employees but sucker for every leaflet / spam email / mass mailing that lands on the desk!

Oh, and the building was in use 24/7 364 days of the year....

Edited by compton_mo'fo