House Price Crash Forum

How Much Of Your Salry Goes On Rent/mortgage?

Mine is a quarter, but I'm making huge overpayments at the moment to take advantage of the low fixed rate I'm on. So I'm paying a third of my salary in at the moment, which is rather crazy when I think about it.

Not crazy at all. We've done the same. 6 yrs to all but clear a 25 yr repayment mortgage.

Not crazy at all. We've done the same. 6 yrs to all but clear a 25 yr repayment mortgage.

I want to remortgage and over pay mine. I owe £17K and have 4 years to pay it back, the sooner the better!!

Maybe I can convince the BS that the £17K is not worth their trouble and that if they want they can write it off!! :) Would suit me sir!

No wonder the UK is heading for recession. You were meant to be out over-spending for 25 years feeding on the HPI :P

If and when I take on another mortgage it will be a 10-15 year term with no penalties for over-payment and I would aim to keep the scheduled repayments below 33% of our combined household net income. (Gross salary calculations are meaningless.)

JY

If and when I take on another mortgage it will be a 10-15 year term with no penalties for over-payment and I would aim to keep the scheduled repayments below 33% of our combined household net income.  (Gross salary calculations are meaningless.)

JY

Snap - although I use combined household net income less essential spending. "Frivolous income" ie a decent chunk each month to do anything you like with is my eventual gauge.

39 yrs old now, too old to have a mortgage of more than 15 years.

True.  Maybe I should put another poll up to ask how much of people's take home pay goes on their mortgage/rent?  Unless that's what people assumed I meant anyway?

Not exactly a FTB, but I'm not on the property ladder, but if I did buy a 2 bed house (one that isn't that great), I'd be looking at paying around 35-40% of my take home salary per month on the mortgage alone. That to me is unacceptable.