House Price Crash Forum

Zero Percent Uk Interest Rates ?

penbat1

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Charles Goodhart, hmmm, he's the bloke who is famous for Goodhart's law - which leads to the conclusion that monetary targets can't be fixed for long periods as, over time, people establish how to subvert them.

He does seem bearish, but I wonder if some of the tone is down to thisIsMoney being owned by the Daily Hate?

HOLA445
HOLA446

0% interest rates might be good news for borrowers but bad news for savers given that inflation is north of 5%. So if this ever happens the feckless will be rewarded at the expense of those who've been prudent. Perhaps coordinated action by millions of savers to withdraw most of their cash from the banks might make the BoE and Gordo think again on this one.

Edited by Heading South

HOLA447
Guest Shedfish

i don't get this talk of 0% interest rates - if the pound falls much faster we'll be thinking about the IMF

anything could happen now. including a drive-by rate rise

having said that, if i could borrow at 0%, well why not

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

But surely the government would pay us any difference in the fixed rate to whatever the rate does go to wouldnt they?

After all they gave all that money to bail out the banks who were grossly negligent and greedy and all the ICESAVE people are getting there money back also chasing high rates. No surely the government will do the right thing and pay part of my mortgage for me and If I loose a bet in Ladbrokes hey surely they will give me a sub. What a joke this country has become.

HOLA4411

0% very likely in the us.. probably here too

quantitative easing

central banks funding government borrowing

credit system is broke

oh the pound will fall? against what? the dollar? the euro? they're also fiat currencies in trouble

the only currency to rise will be gold which will yield the same - zero

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Just a thought for those of you who are perhaps not as geeky as me.

If a house has annual rental income of £10,000 then at a discount rate of 0% all the way out along the curve the house is worth an infinite sum of money as a perpetuity.

Try the following:

£10,000 / 5% = £200k

Then try this:

£10,000 / 2% = £500k

Then try something even nicer:

£10,000 / 1% = £1 million

Then try something illogical:

£10,000 / 0% = Infinity

You can see the logic of lowering interest rates to keep house prices up but interest rates can never be zero except at the very short end of the yield curve unless of course you want to make the world worth an infinite amount.

Erm...maybe the bankers are working on ths as the ultimate bailout! :lol::lol:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416