House Price Crash Forum

Chronic Housing Shortage

Everyone knows that there's a chronic housing shortage. Has been for years. The shortage has been responsible for all the pent-up demand in the housing market. We need to build hundreds of thousands of new homes a year just to keep up.

Can anyone point me to any reliable source that can actually confirms this? Any evidence? Any proof? Where did this "fact" come from? When did it become true?

Because, frankly, it's a load of old bollock, isnt it?

The main report about this is the Barker Review. However, after glancing through this she doesn't understand the difference between 'want' and 'need'.

There has been other reports such as they are more houses per head than at any time since WW2 - although I dare say this reversed in recent years due to immigration.

Another information point would be Shelter and Empty Homes. I think they are around 1 million empty and under utilised homes [empty second homes] in this country.

http://www.emptyhomes.com/documents/stats/HSSA2007.pdf

You even have the government appointed National Housing and Planning Advice Unit:

http://www.communities.gov.uk/nhpau/

But even they come out with some absolutely ridiculous predictions (e.g. houses to become 10 times salary - where now it's roughly 3.x times). I would say the nhpau is just a propaganda department to be honest.

Here you can see Rightmove has over 1million properties for sale:

"Rightmove has over one million properties for sale throughout the UK"

Oct 2007 = 900k properties

Oct 2006 = 685k properties

Oct 2005 = 570k properties

Oct 2004 = 400k properties

Source: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.rightmove.co.uk

I know this is not very scientific, as vendors may list with multiple agents and Rightmove has been advertising more, but it no way represents the doubling of the number of houses for sale.

Everyone knows that there's a chronic housing shortage. Has been for years. The shortage has been responsible for all the pent-up demand in the housing market. We need to build hundreds of thousands of new homes a year just to keep up.

Can anyone point me to any reliable source that can actually confirms this? Any evidence? Any proof? Where did this "fact" come from? When did it become true?

You can look at the council house waiting lists. For Oldham its about 11k of people on list - which out of a population of 103,544 (2001 Census)

So that's a huge %

But how many of those actually want a council house because it's cheaper rent and a secure tenancy.

Interpret as people in need of immediate housing and it means something else.

"Pent up" is another misuse of language by GB and other government people. You cannot apply "pent up" to property. Either there is demand or there isn't. Its use also implies that the demand is not met because of a long-running withdrawing of supply, as though it was sexual frustration. But there is plentiful supply, as we all know. GB needs to get his head round the fact that there is tons of property out there, but his policies keep attempting to bump the price. The only thing that's pent up is his repressed need to admit he f()cked up the economy.

VP