House Price Crash Forum

Swansea Car Chain Give Staff Warning Of Redundancy

HOLA441

A friend who works at quite a large car chain in Swansea has just telephoned me to say that most of his colleagues have been told by the bosses that they are going to give it one more month, and if sales do not turn up in that month, that there will have to be substantial redundancies.

This firm sells a number of brands and all I will say on the mater that I am seeing the same cars of one particular make they sell for 5 or 6K less 40 miles up the road in Cardiff. Perhaps they should consider reducing their prices.

Anyhow, another nail in the coffin of easy credit, of flash cars and, of course, of silly house prices in my area.

HOLA442
A friend who works at quite a large car chain in Swansea has just telephoned me to say that most of his colleagues have been told by the bosses that they are going to give it one more month, and if sales do not turn up in that month, that there will have to be substantial redundancies.

This firm sells a number of brands and all I will say on the mater that I am seeing the same cars of one particular make they sell for 5 or 6K less 40 miles up the road in Cardiff. Perhaps they should consider reducing their prices.

Anyhow, another nail in the coffin of easy credit, of flash cars and, of course, of silly house prices in my area.

BMW laying off staff, too. Sorry, no hard proof to give you, but it'll be done by Feb.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Close to where I live there's a road I think of as stupidity alley - turd road.

On it within 3/4 mile of each other are 5-6 (large) car showrooms, 2 companies selling white household goods, a sauna-spa, one RBS processing centre, and another half built building which had RBS on the banner outside of it but is now for let.

To me it typifies everything that's wrong with the uk, and left me gobsmacked when i returned to the uk and thought "how the hell can everyone afford all that, and where's the real underlying economic activity?"

Edited by alexw

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
I haven't driven one, but it can't be that much crappier than a Vauxhall Vectra, Peugeot 407, VW Passat etc. I thought the press raved about the latest

Mondeo.

Nothing at all wrong with the Mondeo. Generally, modern Ford's are well built and reliable.

Look at some of the materials VW use now in their interiors.... poorer quality, but still with the price tag.

There is going to be a massive shakeup of the car industry very very soon. Ford of Europe are basically keeping Ford afloat... same with the European arm(s) of GM. But looking at the other manufactures, well I think they may have to downscale massively, or jack it in full stop.

HOLA449
Nothing at all wrong with the Mondeo. Generally, modern Ford's are well built and reliable.

Look at some of the materials VW use now in their interiors.... poorer quality, but still with the price tag.

There is going to be a massive shakeup of the car industry very very soon. Ford of Europe are basically keeping Ford afloat... same with the European arm(s) of GM. But looking at the other manufactures, well I think they may have to downscale massively, or jack it in full stop.

Between the higher fuel costs, insurance and now VED it looks like the golden goose of larger cars - 4x4s, MPVs, big saloons, etc - has been well and truly plucked. Although it is a tad difficult downsizing to a smaller car if you have kids, or need the space to transport things, or have an elderly relative, or do long commutes... but it looks like that is exactly what people are doing now.

Turns out to be a problem though when you want to go on hols and you discover that your new eco-friendly low fuel low VED supermini does not have enough room for just one suitcase.

Oh, on another grapevine I hear that the rolls mills of a certain South Wales steelworks is now rolling only the smallest of rolls - you know, those huge coils you occasionally see on the back of flatbeds from which we get everything from nail to coke cans to cars - due to the slowdown in the global economy.

HOLA4410
Between the higher fuel costs, insurance and now VED it looks like the golden goose of larger cars - 4x4s, MPVs, big saloons, etc - has been well and truly plucked. Although it is a tad difficult downsizing to a smaller car if you have kids, or need the space to transport things, or have an elderly relative, or do long commutes... but it looks like that is exactly what people are doing now.

They (Mondeos) still make an outrageously good secondhand buy though, and all things considered, aren't expensive to run at all. Servicing's dirt cheap, parts are trivial to get hold of, and the cars themselves hold together pretty well. Have looked into small cars twice in the last five years, and there really are piss-poor VFM unless all you do is a couple of miles in town every day.

HOLA4411
I went to a local dealer in SW Wales looking for a new car at the weekend - "We don't sell new cars anymore - nobody can afford them."

True story...3years ago I went into a main dealer in Merthyr to test drive a new car. They wouldn't let me test drive it as I wasn't on Motability, and therefore...by their reckoning couldn't be a real buyer!!!

HOLA4412
True story...3years ago I went into a main dealer in Merthyr to test drive a new car. They wouldn't let me test drive it as I wasn't on Motability, and therefore...by their reckoning couldn't be a real buyer!!!

You would be the odd man out in Merthyr if you were not on the sick! :huh:

( J for joke - it's just Merthyr's reputation as the sick town of S Wales)

HOLA4413

If you mean JJ then they made the announcement a few days ago.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I went to test drive an 8 grand 2nd hand 06 Focus at a Ford dealer in Worthing.

Me:"Hi I'd like to test drive that Focus."

Car dealer:"Sorry it doesn't have a battery in it, can you come back on Monday?"

Me: "Bye then!"

The place was empty and he made no attempt to sell it whatsoever. Almost as if I was interrupting his Saturday afternoon nap.

Edited by mjhodgson

HOLA4417

True story, know of a Welsh IT contractor who was on £500 per day back in the 1990s. Went into a Welsh Porsche dealership with a sports bag full of 35K in cash, pointed at a car and said "I'll have that one!". They called the Police as they did not believe the money was his.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Any ideas on number of people possibly affected in Swansea?

A loan to buy a new car ranks highly in my "dumbest buys anyone can make".

No cash, no buy.

No idea how many - my friend told me that "most" of the staff had either been told verbally or had received a letter. It is a big dealership and I recall talking with him a few months back and he said that they had a big staff as they are into cars, vans, repairs, etc, etc. It is well known in this part of West Wales.

HOLA4420
I went to test drive an 8 grand 2nd hand 06 Focus at a Ford dealer in Worthing.

Me:"Hi I'd like to test drive that Focus."

Car dealer:"Sorry it doesn't have a battery in it, can you come back on Monday?"

Me: "Bye then!"

The place was empty and he made no attempt to sell it whatsoever. Almost as if I was interrupting his Saturday afternoon nap.

I have read of similar stories over on HonestJohn's car forum about lack of interest from dealers. One can only assume that it is some kind of sales tactic or they have had it so easy during the credit bubble that they now have lost all ability how to sell. Personally, I always assume the former and think it is just plain rude and arrogant as, in my mind, such treatment makes me think they think you are stupid.

Ring them up a few days later and tell them about a Focus that you want, state what colour, what engine and how much you are prepared to pay... When they get excited tell them that they could have sold it to you but you went and bought it elsewhere!

HOLA4421
No idea how many - my friend told me that "most" of the staff had either been told verbally or had received a letter. It is a big dealership and I recall talking with him a few months back and he said that they had a big staff as they are into cars, vans, repairs, etc, etc. It is well known in this part of West Wales.

I hope it's not Sinclair's, we have a couple of VWs of them and they have always looked after us....unlike a dealer of a prestige brand in swansea!!!

HOLA4422
A friend who works at quite a large car chain in Swansea has just telephoned me to say ...

Thank you for passing on this important information so promptly.

The goings on in a car showroom in Swansea is something that is constantly at the front of all our minds.

p

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

The goings on in a car showroom in Swansea is something that is constantly at the front of all our minds.

p

Maybe its a clue as to whats coming for your Nulab chums to worry about. Maybe you like lagging roof spaces...your leader wants you to when you are out of work.

HOLA4425

p

Heavens above. If the thread doesn't interest you, then don't read it. The thread title gives a fairly good indication of its contents. :rolleyes: