House Price Crash Forum

Estate Agents Speak

Guest happy?

HOLA441
Guest happy?

"Originally built" - it was either built or it wasn't - in which case you're buying a field. Acceptable only where a property has been rebuilt.

"Comprises of" - what's with comprising: value1, value2,

Rant over.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
"Originally built" - it was either built or it wasn't - in which case you're buying a field. Acceptable only where a property has been rebuilt.

"Comprises of" - what's with comprising: value1, value2,

Rant over.

Tip of the iceberg. Malapropsims, spoonerisms, syntax errors, pre-GCSE grammar errors, appalling spelling and ghastly sentence construction is the exclusive domain of the Estate Agent, Surveyor and even Property Lawyers. Not picking on deslexics here, but on those who favour the grey suit and attempt to give off one image but underneath the satorial elegance are nothing more than wide boys.

VP

HOLA443
HOLA444

lol,

Noticed on a local agent's web site under the headings of some of the property's a banner saying KEEN TO SELL . Correct me if I am wrong but surely if a buyer was not keen to sell they would not put their property in the estate agents . Or is it a case that the other property's on the site are only there for a laugh.

HOLA445

Recently saw "in a sort after location" on one ad.

It's quite clear that you don't need any qualifications to become an estate agent, most of them became one after failing at what they really wanted to do in life.

I might start up my own one, and hire the local chavs to smash up people's houses if they don't lower the asking price.

CHAV & CO. - Fookin' proper-eees, innit!

HOLA446
Tip of the iceberg. Malapropsims, spoonerisms, syntax errors, pre-GCSE grammar errors, appalling spelling and ghastly sentence construction is the exclusive domain of the Estate Agent, Surveyor and even Property Lawyers. Not picking on deslexics here, but on those who favour the grey suit and attempt to give off one image but underneath the satorial elegance are nothing more than wide boys.

VP

I'm glad it's not just me being a grammar Nazi. I've always wondered how they build up the trust to get someone to spend 200k using semi-literate drivel.

HOLA447

I already posted this mess on Anecdotals but it's so bad it might be worth repeating. Incredibly, they actually managed to spell "accommodation" correctly!

I didn't think EA's had any surprises left - this lot take the frickin' biscuit. Found on Rightmove:

Link 1 bedroom apartment for sale, Shepherd's Bush, England

We pleas to interduce this property which located within easy access to main transport. The accommodation compriese one bedroom ,spacious reception room,fitted kitchen,bathroom,central heating.

Link 2 bedroom apartment for sale, Shepherd's Bush, England

There are 5% discount from the asking price.

We like to pressnt this two bedroom falt ,spacious reception room,fitted kitching,

bathroom,central heating .

Link 3 bedroom apartment for sale, Shepherd's Bush, England

Ther are 5% discount from the asking price.

Well presented three bedroom flat.Newlly docrted kitching leadingonto reception.

The propety facing south-west garden.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I got an e-mail off an estate agent today that reads "We believe now is the perfect time to buy your new property and we have some fantastic properties on the market with great prices to match! Many of these properties are in a position to look at offers"

Now I know a salesman needs to be positive, but even so, "perfect time" seems to be over-egging it somewhat. And WTF does "in a postition to look at offers" mean? Its been said a million times before on HPC.co.uk but I'll say it again "Just drop the effing price, its not rocket science!"

HOLA4411

My favourite ever is for a house down the road which reads, "the property requires some updating and the asking price is refective as such", which is particularly beautiful because propertybee reveals that it used to read "...the asking price reflects this" and some t1t estate agent obviously decided the phrasing wasn't sufficiently obtuse so changed it to "...reflective as such". I cannot think of any other situation in which this phrase could possibly be used*.

*In our opinion

Edited by Simon_Trinity

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
My personnal fav is an agent near me using the phrase "Priced to sell" Complete oxymoron, why else would it be priced if it wasent for sale.....

Thus implying all his other prices are not there for that! Also implying that it needs to be sold or the bank will be repossessing soon.

HOLA4414

Check this one out - It is one of the most stomach churning property details I have ever read. I have selected some of my 'favourite' bits but will be happy to share the whole thing should you wish but I must warn you, you will need a very strong stomach.......

Just like your favourite Chanel suit this house fits like a second skin. Confident and natural, it just feels right. Think Barnsley House meets Far from the Madding Crowd.

step inside the front door and you feel the worries and strains of the day just slip away

a lush new lawn has been laid which has everyone fighting over who’s going to cut the grass

HOLA4415
My personnal fav is an agent near me using the phrase "Priced to sell" Complete oxymoron, why else would it be priced if it wasent for sale.....

My ex-flat mate had a real bee in his bonnet about that phrase and hence once listed his car in Loot for much more than it was worth as "priced to amuse at...".

And there's a few asking prices round here which certainly amuse me.

Edited by Simon_Trinity

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Check this one out - It is one of the most stomach churning property details I have ever read. I have selected some of my 'favourite' bits but will be happy to share the whole thing should you wish but I must warn you, you will need a very strong stomach.......

Just like your favourite Chanel suit this house fits like a second skin. Confident and natural, it just feels right. Think Barnsley House meets Far from the Madding Crowd.

step inside the front door and you feel the worries and strains of the day just slip away

a lush new lawn has been laid which has everyone fighting over who’s going to cut the grass

That made my LOL :lol:

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

One that had me chuckling was the description of a newbuild as a "muse house"... maybe they were just musing about selling it, not actually selling it - but if an estate agent doesn't know how to spell the different types of houses then as someone said earlier, how can they expect us to trust them with large amounts of money....

oh. and this is the estate agent that loves to put up signs saying "sold quickly"! so what do they do with all the other houses on their books - sell them slowly??

HOLA4423
"Rarely available" - I've seen that one on properties that have been on the market for over a year.

"A credit to its owner"

:lol:

Pretty good, but we can do better can't we?

I'd love to hear an EA say 'oh, no, please stop. Not the crow bar sir, oh sir, please N-O!. (loud thud) Oh my God, I don't want to die'.

HOLA4424
"Rarely available" - I've seen that one on properties that have been on the market for over a year.

"A credit to its owner"

Or more ironic still; "in a very sought after road/street". Especially when they have been on the market for the best part of a year - Not so sought after afterall eh?!!

HOLA4425