House Price Crash Forum

On 06/09/2020 at 08:34, spyguy said:

Interesting stats from another post on here.

https://www.plumplot.co.uk/Reading-salary-and-unemployment.html

Despite the claims of a job miracle, reading's is higher than national average.

Hart 2.3%
Bracknell Forest 2.4%
Basingstoke and Deane 2.5%
Wokingham 2.5%
West Berkshire 2.8%
United Kingdom 3.8%
Reading 4%

Not exactly like for like there. Reading is a totally different mix to the other areas in that list. How does Reading compare to Swindon? Slough? Other large towns/ cities? 

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 09/02/2019 at 11:59, spyguy said:

https://amp.theguardian.com/education/2019/feb/09/reading-university-in-crisis-amid-questions-over-121m-land-sales?CMP=twt_a-education_b-gdnedu&__twitter_impression=true

Reading is not in a position to easily repay the £121m converted into a loan, which would take its debts to £300m. Its recent financial struggles include large losses from an overseas venture, falling undergraduate student numbers and operating deficits totalling more than £40m over the past two years.

I don wonder about the viability of Unis in the South. The accommodation cost makes studying at them pretty daunting.

Ive told my kids that they are off to a Northern Uni.

And I also wonder how hard it must be getting junior - and senior - staff to relocate to the area.

On 09/02/2019 at 15:06, Bear Hug said:

They are struggling at the time of the highest ever student fees, largest student numbers and lowest borrowing costs.  What can possibly go wrong?

Academic Year Number of students
2017/18 16995
2016/17 15840
2015/16 14980
2014/15 14325

And Reading UNI in the news again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-56083667

"Students have been victims of this pandemic too", says Professor Robert Van de Noort, vice chancellor at the University of Reading. He is one of a group of vice chancellors who has called for interest on student loans to be scrapped for the duration of the pandemic.

It's a largely symbolic gesture because, like fee rebates, it would only ultimately help the highest earning graduates - those who ultimately pay off all their loan.

Professor Van De Noort says he also wants ministers in England to look carefully at the £500 cash payments given in Northern Ireland. For him, however, the bottom line is universities can't do more, after losing money during the pandemic.

In March, last year, things looked grim at the University of Reading. It was facing losses including catering, conferences and letting out student accommodation during the summer Reading Festival. "Our reasonable worst case scenario came down to a loss of £100m of income over a three-year period."

The university started negotiations to ask staff to take a pay cut to avoid redundancies - a step that so far hasn't been needed as the university dug into reserves and completed a sale of some land.

Professor Van de Noort says his university will weather the financial pressures, but warns: "What I can see is a number of mergers between smaller and larger universities - where the smaller is no longer financially stable - and potentially with colleges."

The financial collapse of a university in England is unlikely to be allowed, but some will have gone into the red further as a result of losing money in the pandemic.

Now I dont think HE sector have had a bad covid - theyve ben able to furlough, staff ,students have been ripped off, tuition fees have rolled in, yet the Reading VC is on about losses from activities that ought to be pretty minior.

These cuts and whatnot were before Covid.

On 05/04/2020 at 10:09, spyguy said:

I dont think the Corona virus will be kind to Reading's homeowners.

More so than other areas.

Im expecting mass defaults by tenants, leading to mass defaults by LLs.

Readings economy, being built of relatively low paid service jobs, staffed by migrants, is going to be hammered.

Hey long time no speak. Hows that little prediction going nearly a year on? In fact I can tell you whats happening in the real world, its all moving along nicely, the tenants are happy, the landlords are happy, houses being built left right and centre to meet demand. The job market is a little subdued but still plenty out there. Imagine what will happen once lockdown ends ;o)

On 05/04/2020 at 10:09, spyguy said:

I dont think the Corona virus will be kind to Reading's homeowners.

More so than other areas.

Im expecting mass defaults by tenants, leading to mass defaults by LLs.

Readings economy, being built of relatively low paid service jobs, staffed by migrants, is going to be hammered.

Hows this prediction looking now. In fact in the real world  houses are being built faster than ever, getting snapped up faster than ever, landlords and tennants all reasonably happy and the jobs market pretty good all things considered.

On 06/09/2020 at 08:34, spyguy said:

Interesting stats from another post on here.

https://www.plumplot.co.uk/Reading-salary-and-unemployment.html

Despite the claims of a job miracle, reading's is higher than national average.

Hart 2.3%
Bracknell Forest 2.4%
Basingstoke and Deane 2.5%
Wokingham 2.5%
West Berkshire 2.8%
United Kingdom 3.8%
Reading 4%

I've  uploaded the latest figures for you 🐵

20210219_062704.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 22/12/2018 at 22:43, Shamus said:

Basingstoke is very busy at the moment.  The Malls have a reasonable Christmas market and access from the car parks and railway station is good.  The older part of town seems to be benefiting from some small independant businesses opening.  I think people from 20 miles around Basingstoke will travel there.  It's a lot less stressful than travelling into Reading.

On 23/12/2018 at 06:54, spyguy said:

Its Xmas - it ought to be busy.

Its the other ~50 weeks of the year that it will struggle with.

The bstoke ->Rdg train is pretty quick and easy - 20m tootle down a branch line.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56511374

The closures include four "At Home" shops in Ashford, Basingstoke, Chester and Tunbridge Wells, and four department stores in Aberdeen, Peterborough, Sheffield and York.

22 hours ago, spyguy said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56511374

The closures include four "At Home" shops in Ashford, Basingstoke, Chester and Tunbridge Wells, and four department stores in Aberdeen, Peterborough, Sheffield and York.

My post was dec 2018 and a lot had changed re Covid. However I agree it’s all getting  worse for Basingstoke with viables business park emptying. Rumours of a big automated Amazon warehouse coming and the council fixated with high rent in festival place and opening more offices in basingview. Only highlight today is a TV drama being filmed in empty basingview 🤪

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...