House Price Crash Forum

34 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Mrs spy, in her younger years, voted for a fascist party. Not a right wing or extreme right wing as the medua mislabels ukip.

Dont tell you fellow teachers i told her....

She is a pensioner and she voted for Mussolini 

No one cares anymore 

Edited by prozac
  • Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 23/11/2018 at 22:22, fandanman said:

You need to explain yourself a little better, that's twice in a row you said one thing but meant another. Of course you were talking about RPI but that's no good without the equivalent wage rise year on year otherwise your real world scenario of 7-10 years is just hot air and wishful thinking, isn't it.

"hugely important in Reading with entire streets for rent " which streets are these? I can think of a few streets that have a lot of rented properties but I can't think of any that are entirely for rent, are you Spyguy in disguise?

Well I've lived here all my life and can confirm that it is indeed an overpriced, overpopulated dump. I've watched it getting worse and worse over the years. It's so busy that even going to a supermarket on a Tuesday afternoon is a traumatic experience. There are more and more HMO's springing up as well because the younger generation generally just can't afford the rent. As for the M4 and surrounding roads....please. And the new build estates popping up everywhere, they are are stacked so close it is like a brick orgy. You have to admit the ones by the roundabout at junction 11 are eye poppingly shocking.

6 hours ago, Sperm Donor said:

Well I've lived here all my life and can confirm that it is indeed an overpriced, overpopulated dump. I've watched it getting worse and worse over the years. It's so busy that even going to a supermarket on a Tuesday afternoon is a traumatic experience. There are more and more HMO's springing up as well because the younger generation generally just can't afford the rent. As for the M4 and surrounding roads....please. And the new build estates popping up everywhere, they are are stacked so close it is like a brick orgy. You have to admit the ones by the roundabout at junction 11 are eye poppingly shocking.

Joking or not, that would point to few people working.

Go anywhere with jobs and, bar  OAPs, supermarkets and the like are dead mon-fri 9-5

11 hours ago, spyguy said:

Joking or not, that would point to few people working.

Go anywhere with jobs and, bar  OAPs, supermarkets and the like are dead mon-fri 9-5

I often go for a walk on my lunch break and see driveways filled with cars and often think 'does no one actually work around here' - I'm not sure if they are loaded, on benefits or all work from home. But I am immensely jealous!

9 hours ago, Sperm Donor said:

I often go for a walk on my lunch break and see driveways filled with cars and often think 'does no one actually work around here' - I'm not sure if they are loaded, on benefits or all work from home. But I am immensely jealous!

Going back a few years .... but i used to get a similar feel in bracknell and reading.

Bracknell esp. A town that seemed to be populated by industrial estates and sink housing. Sitting in The pub (red lion), having a crap beer before getting the train -  What do?  Nothing....

They resolved that tension by turning the old 3m tower and similar into social housing...

On 28/11/2018 at 15:15, Sperm Donor said:

Ha ha, well you better f$ck off upt north then like the other retard and buy a 2 up 2 down.

14 hours ago, spyguy said:

Going back a few years .... but i used to get a similar feel in bracknell and reading.

Bracknell esp. A town that seemed to be populated by industrial estates and sink housing. Sitting in The pub (red lion), having a crap beer before getting the train -  What do?  Nothing....

They resolved that tension by turning the old 3m tower and similar into social housing...

Yeah its a right dump now after the quarter billion they just pumped in ?

6 minutes ago, fandanman said:

Yeah its a right dump now after the quarter billion they just pumped in ?

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g227124-d7905014-Reviews-Bracknell_Shopping_Centre-Bracknell_Berkshire_England.html

'Hard to figure out - no compelling reason to go

Nice modern shopping centre with good mixture of high end shops in the newly opened site. Wide range of restaurants & cafes available so should be happy.

There needs to be a book shop (Waterstones feels like a ghost shop).

Cinema looks good though

Something is missing.'

'Sad

Maybe it was the weather, or the time of day, but the shopping centre felt without a soul or lost. The same blueprint of shops you would expect to see with some high end names and clearly a lot of thought and investment in architecture, but it was a place I only visited because I was passing through Bracknell and left me feeling no desire to return. I did enjoy the street art though in the pedestrian spaces and tunnels walking back to the station - despite the fact that they too were of a subject matter that felt displaced.'

I know its totally out of character for you Spyguy but you seem to have missed out a lot of the other reviews funnily enough:

"First time at this shopping centre. Lovely and well layout out. Plentiful of shops, cafe and restaurants"

"Excellent variety of shops, lots of places to grab a bit when you need to refuel. Brand new so really clean"

"Much improved version! Loving the new Fenwicks in particular. Can’t wait to start my xmas shopping!! Lots of great shops and eating places plus my kids tell me the new cinema is fab!!"  etc etc

But actually one thing I do agree is why the f$ck bother as its never going to be able to compete with Reading. Saying that the £2.50 minimum parking charge as opposed to Reading's 4 squid does make it oh so tempting.

5 hours ago, fandanman said:

I know its totally out of character for you Spyguy but you seem to have missed out a lot of the other reviews funnily enough:

"First time at this shopping centre. Lovely and well layout out. Plentiful of shops, cafe and restaurants"

"Excellent variety of shops, lots of places to grab a bit when you need to refuel. Brand new so really clean"

"Much improved version! Loving the new Fenwicks in particular. Can’t wait to start my xmas shopping!! Lots of great shops and eating places plus my kids tell me the new cinema is fab!!"  etc etc

But actually one thing I do agree is why the f$ck bother as its never going to be able to compete with Reading. Saying that the £2.50 minimum parking charge as opposed to Reading's 4 squid does make it oh so tempting.

The comments were at the top of tripadvisor.

Big shopping centres are spaced 50-100 miles , population depending.

Starting West, youve

Bristol Cribb (cornwall, devon, glous).

Soton West Quay (dorset wilts hants)

Reading Oracle (oxford, thames val, m4, west of london)

Blue water (east london essex)

Any shopping centre , old or new, between these centres will be destroyed.

Basingstoke has had a town centre refurb. Itll fail.

Bracknells centre redevelopment, which goes back to the 80s, is too little too late. Itll fail.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/11/2018 at 22:45, fandanman said:

... Sure there are lots of rentals,  but when you are saying entire streets are rented you have to backup your bullsh$t, and there are NO STREETS IN READINg ENTIRELY RENTED.

Let's not go all Sheldon on me. I agree that I was exaggerating with the "entire streets rented" but only slightly. There are certainly areas where rentals are a large proportion of the overall housing, and not just around university.

You can make a massive deal about the exact wording if you like but the problems of largely rented areas remain:

- constant flow of people, often from very different backgrounds, so no community ever forms

- landords don't tend to do any repairs/renovations unless they really have to, so houses and gardens are often run down

- tenants don't look after the properties particularly if shared and/or short term rentals, or they expect landlords to do it given huge amounts they pay

On 10/12/2018 at 21:19, spyguy said:

Come up North spermy.

Ive a spare Whippet you can borrow.

Ive been keeping it in the bath. It needs to go as i want to put coal in the bath.

What is he the mayor of Reading or something? 

PS - thanks for the offer spyguy but if things go well next year you will be a southerner to me as we will be heading to sunny Scotland!

PPS - I was up at Bamburgh recently - what a beautiful part of the world.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2018 at 19:44, spyguy said:

The comments were at the top of tripadvisor.

Big shopping centres are spaced 50-100 miles , population depending.

Starting West, youve

Bristol Cribb (cornwall, devon, glous).

Soton West Quay (dorset wilts hants)

Reading Oracle (oxford, thames val, m4, west of london)

Blue water (east london essex)

Any shopping centre , old or new, between these centres will be destroyed.

Basingstoke has had a town centre refurb. Itll fail.

Bracknells centre redevelopment, which goes back to the 80s, is too little too late. Itll fail.

Basingstoke is very busy at the moment.  The Malls have a reasonable Christmas market and access from the car parks and railway station is good.  The older part of town seems to be benefiting from some small independant businesses opening.  I think people from 20 miles around Basingstoke will travel there.  It's a lot less stressful than travelling into Reading.

8 hours ago, Shamus said:

Basingstoke is very busy at the moment.  The Malls have a reasonable Christmas market and access from the car parks and railway station is good.  The older part of town seems to be benefiting from some small independant businesses opening.  I think people from 20 miles around Basingstoke will travel there.  It's a lot less stressful than travelling into Reading.

Its Xmas - it ought to be busy.

Its the other ~50 weeks of the year that it will struggle with.

The bstoke ->Rdg train is pretty quick and easy - 20m tootle down a branch line.

• 1 month later...
On 25/01/2019 at 14:32, Freki said:

Little study shared by Zoopla that I found interesting. 

This one does not call for bias, so interesting to see which towns people are trying to be the most aware of their current valuation:

Here you go https://www.zoopla.co.uk/discover/property-news/how-eagle-eyed-are-your-neighbours/#e2xh76YppkGUg3s9.97

The commuter town of Reading is home to Britain’s nosiest neighbours, according to the latest research from Zoopla.

Compared to the national average, they are 47% more likely to run a valuation on their neighbours' properties.

Milton Keynes took the second spot at 43% above the national average, while the third nosiest town is Bedford at 37%.

The ranking of ‘Nosey Neighbours’ was compiled by examining how many times visitors to Zoopla used the estimates tool to get an instant valuation on a neighbouring home. Take a look at the table below to see if your town makes the top 10.

Read more at https://www.zoopla.co.uk/discover/property-news/how-eagle-eyed-are-your-neighbours/#ukQS6w5baMh60ALq.99

My mega-biased interpretation is that these are are the places people expect massive falls.

Edited by Bear Hug
18 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

My mega-biased interpretation is that these are are the places people expect massive falls.

Zooplas figures are  totally made up.

Its numbers are based on asking prices.

Anyone using Zoopla to check hey are not insolvent is probably insolvent.