• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Guest sillybear2
great news if you are off to Iceland for a weekend on the bevvy, Beer was about £4 a pint.. wonder what it is now ?

I doubt they'll have any soon, they have no foreign exchange left and nobody is accepting their currency so they won't be able to import anything.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Terrible for the people.

When are they going to revolt? I wish they would. It might remind our politicians and bankers here that their arrogance wont save them once the people find out what they have done.

They will recover soon enough now the have ditched the banksters. Fishing, farming, a bit of tourism and some mining etc are enough to sustain them. They have ample geothermal and hydroelectric power so energy is not a problem. We may not be so fortunate

HOLA446
Guest sillybear2
Who's going to buy their treasury debt at a time like this?

No one, their currency is worthless and as they've shown they have no compunction in defaulting at will. Trust and confidence is a precious commodity and once it's gone, it's gone. They decided it was cool to steal everyone's cash, and unsurprisingly nobody trusts them anymore. Clearly they didn't think through the consequences, they're now begging from the very same people they f**d over a couple of days ago, like a small child throwing a hissy fit.

It's like me stealing your wallet and then knocking on your door two days later asking for more!

HOLA447
Guest mattsta1964
They will recover soon enough now the have ditched the banksters. Fishing, farming, a bit of tourism and some mining etc are enough to sustain them. They have ample geothermal and hydroelectric power so energy is not a problem. We may not be so fortunate

Only 300,000 people to feed. Should be a doddle, and geothermal power to stay warm. Yeah. Compared with the UK, they are in a fairly cushy situation.

Will they punish the fools who screwed them though? I have visions of axe wielding Icelanders with names like Erik the Disembowler

HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest sillybear2
Only 300,000 people to feed. Should be a doddle, and geothermal power to stay warm. Yeah. Compared with the UK, they are in a fairly cushy situation.

Will they punish the fools who screwed them though? I have visions of axe wielding Icelanders with names like Erik the Disembowler

They're an island of hot water and fish, this doesn't usually allow you to live like kings unless you're stealing your standard of living from someone else and giving them worthless IOU's in return. The people are also to blame, they borrowed like crazy too, and enjoyed one of the highest per capita incomes and HPI thanks largely in part to the international banditry exercised by their native banks. Punishing their bankers is like shooting their drug dealers.

Edited by sillybear2

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest vicmac64
Only yesterday they announced a peg at 131 to the euro! That lasted long.

Anyway, we shouldn't laugh, this could well be our future we are witnessing in Iceland.

This is our future

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Terrible for the people.

When are they going to revolt? I wish they would. It might remind our politicians and bankers here that their arrogance wont save them once the people find out what they have done.

yes but with the FED/BOE/ECB all playing the same game then few in the western world will know they are being stuffed untill they look at the yen.

soon we will not be able yto aford a trip abroad so the sheeple will think all is fine and dandy.

Reward for the first person that gets ant of the 0.5% IR cut past on to them.

FTSE is tanking again i see so what other magic bullets do they have left

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Does anyone know where to buy krona though? Thinking of a holiday there to take advantage of their temporary economic weakness, and at the 330 krona to the pound kind of rate that seems to be the current rate it'd be ******ing cheap, but nowhere seems to offer anything near that if I can even get any rate at all.

HOLA4417
Guest sillybear2
Does anyone know where to buy krona though? Thinking of a holiday there to take advantage of their temporary economic weakness, and at the 330 krona to the pound kind of rate that seems to be the current rate it'd be ******ing cheap, but nowhere seems to offer anything near that if I can even get any rate at all.

Why not pick up some Zimbabwean dollars while you're at it? Seriously they're toast, give it a week and you'll get 3000 krona to the pound.

Edited by sillybear2

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
``It's looking very gloomy for Iceland at the moment,'' said Bjarke Roed-Frederiksen, an economist in Copenhagen at Nordea. ``The currency isn't trading at the price the central bank has set and we're already seeing signs that people don't want to accept krona in transactions on Iceland.''

Calm down, this is a WONDEFUL property buying opportunity! :P

Or maybe we should wait a bit longer for this?

All houses in Iceland just became 50% cheaper overnight for UK buyers!

On a cautious note, are they any signs of wage inflation? :lol:

HOLA4420

I think you have to go over with a fistful of dollars and see what you can get when you're there. The Icelandic government may put a limit on how much foreign money you can take in/out.

HOLA4421
Why not pick up some Zimbabwean dollars why you're at it? Seriously they're toast, give it a week and you'll get 3000 krona to the pound.

Even better :)

How would I go about it when they're 3000 to the pound though? Nowhere seems to sell them.

Not looking to move life savings anyway, only to get a cheaper holiday so no big deal if I miss the bottom by a big margin.

HOLA4422

How would I go about it when they're 3000 to the pound though? Nowhere seems to sell them.

Not looking to move life savings anyway, only to get a cheaper holiday so no big deal if I miss the bottom by a big margin.

I have to admit I'm looking to do much the same. The only thing I can think of is booking stuff (flights/hotels) now with a credit card and paying in Krona. The question is what is the rate that VISA use and will any of it be honoured?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Guest sillybear2

Just take your £££ with you, the locals will know what sterling looks like, they've already stolen £4.5b worth of it. Anyway, the locals will be clamouring for hard foreign exchange like £/€/$, they won't be interested in their own monopoly money.

edit: catching a falling knife is no use, there is no bottom, your krona will probably only buy a Mars bar when you get there.

Edited by sillybear2

HOLA4425
Guest sillybear2
Why not pop over to iceland and borrow a million K spend like mad and then pay it back in a few months when the K is worthless ?

That's known as "going native"!