House Price Crash Forum

Icesave

HOLA441
I have just got off the phone from speaking to a supervisor at Icesave call centre. They have frozen all accounts but have not been told why?. He assured me if he knew why, he would tell me !!!!!!!!! :unsure:

If they don't know, what hope is there for Joe Public?

The call centre staff must be scared too - they could be joining the lengthening dole queue by the end of the week.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Doh! Didn't realise you could still log in.

Well they must have processed my withdrawal from Saturday as the money and the account are no longer there. Ah well, fingers crossed it turns up in my Natwest account in the next few days. :ph34r:

HOLA445
No, it was me transferring my 6-month bond out on Monday morning wot dun it. I'd like to think it's in the ether but I have a feeling its fogbound in Iceland.

Is it still listed under your accounts? (you can still actually login).

HOLA446
HOLA447
Doh! Didn't realise you could still log in.

Well they must have processed my withdrawal from Saturday as the money and the account are no longer there. Ah well, fingers crossed it turns up in my Natwest account in the next few days. :ph34r:

interesting conclusion. :ph34r:

HOLA448
I took just about everything out other than this years ISA. Still about £4k there. Seem to be paying interest in. I'd really quite like that back!

I'm the same... I was only yesterday filling out an ISA transfer form. Should have just withdrawn the cash and sod losing the ISA allowance. Mind you, that still probably wouldn't have gone through, as it takes a few days to withdraw cash.

HOLA449
Is it still listed under your accounts? (you can still actually login).

No, it's not listed. Does that suggest that it's on its way?

.... I've just re-read my last sentance. Sounds a bit optimistic but who knows.

Edited by Orsino

HOLA4410
No, it's not listed. Does that suggest that it's on its way?

.... I've just re-read my last sentance. Sounds a bit optimistic but who knows.

I'm in the same boat! (Just registered on this site as I can't get any sense out of any others!)

I had £17k in there. Withdrew £14k yesterday (should have been all of it, but there you go), via CHAPS. The £14k has gone from Icesave, but not turned up in my current account.

This can only make claiming compensation more difficult. I'm trying to get through on the phone, but strangely enough their number seems to be disconnected.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Just emptied my Kaupthing Edge account - only had £100 in it and I don't need it immediately, but I decided to take advice and panic first :)

Despite the name and the link to an Icelandic parent, are KE not a British bank?

HOLA4414
I'm in the same boat! (Just registered on this site as I can't get any sense out of any others!)

I had £17k in there. Withdrew £14k yesterday (should have been all of it, but there you go), via CHAPS. The £14k has gone from Icesave, but not turned up in my current account.

This can only make claiming compensation more difficult. I'm trying to get through on the phone, but strangely enough their number seems to be disconnected.

Same boat as me, I took £18k out last night - stupidly leaving £15k in there.

Showing as left my account but after a conversation with Customer Service, they can't tell me if the money will actually turn up.

HOLA4415

I've got a theory that a lot of people have had 6 month bonds mature very recently and because Icesave's regular savings interest are now pretty dire, most people have moved bond monies to other banks with better returns and security? :blink:

HOLA4416

This is scary..

i have a 6 month fixed for £30k coming out 2009 time...

This is my house fund have been working my last 7 years for waiting for house prices to reduce to normal affordable levels...

i have no debts...

And yet it looks like im going to be punished...

How bullsheete is this scenario....

So all the f**kers that borrowed 10x are going to win and the shrewd are going to lose...

1 Question:

Can you break a fixed bond with Icesave??

If they come back online, any way to get it back into the UK although they are covered under FSA...

I just so want a revolution against Labour Government...!!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Can I ask what the current thoughts are on ING? Are they reasonably safe? (As was once believed) Or should I be taking my money out of there?

I'm very glad I didn't get around to finishing the paperwork off on the ICESAVE I set up towards the end of last year, and while are savings are nowhere near the sums that others have on here, it's a sizeable amount, and would hate to lose it....

ING is one of the World's largest banks - if you ain't safe there you ain't safe anywhere IMPO. I have about 12K with them but not more than the 15K EU guarantee even though, supposedly, the UK Government will now bail you out between 15K and 50K. At the moment, keeping all my money in Brit banks with, as I say, the one exception of 12K in ING.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Transferred my stash on Saturday and it was in my LTSB account yesterday evening. Talk about a close shave :o .

Really gutted for those who didn't manage to get their money out but hopefully it will not be the end of the matter. I can still log in to my account fine for what it is worth...

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Hi, I'm the one with £150k in three fixed terms...nice. Mature in Dec and Jan.

I'm trying not to panic.

I spoke to them this morning.

They say they are guaranteeing everything to £50k. I'm getting my girlfriend to be a joint account holder - you can find that at your account > personal details...

I spoke to them about breaking the terms of my bonds, they said they would need a letter from a lawyer, they are getting one.

They are not in liquidation, they are in receivership.

Let me check the wire service....

Ok these are snaps from Reuters in the last three to five mins...the Icelandic govt are saying the receivership gives it time to restructure the operations of Landsbanki...including selling off foreign assets.

Two things will happen - either they will simply do nothing, take the UK money and a huge row will break out, or they will try and sell Icesave to another bank. I really cant see why they wouldn't sell it as it was/is a functioning stand-alone business and they need the money it would raise, even if they sell it at a loss...

also: the Icelandic krona has risen and been pegged to 131 to the €...

HOLA4424
HBOS is pretty safe now - if a penny of savers' money was lost now then the Labour Government would fall.

They're going to fall anyway, even if a penny is not lost.

Events like this give the marketing spin new meaning - e.g. Icesave's motto - "Clear difference". The clear difference being, you can't have your money back...

HOLA4425
This does flag up the issue of whether, in this current climate, you opt for a fixed term bond with a good IR or prefer to keep it in an easy access but falling IR account?

All my savings have been in normal easy access savings accounts and cash ISAs since the NR debacle last year. Decided that it wasn't worth the extra risk for the 0.5 - 1% bonus bond based accounts give. I was tempted by some of Icesaves rates a while ago, but decided that now is not a good time to basically off-shore my pot to a bank that seemed to be offering impossibly high rates. Too much of a risk, and given todays job market, I could need to start drawing on the savings at any time.