House Price Crash Forum

What I can't understand and probably won't until I'm 150, is why does everyone on here want the UK to crash and burn?

If houses did drop massively it would be because everything else around them has as well.

No jobs, money and rubbish lives.

Maybe the last 20 years has been built on credit but hasn't it been great?

Nice houses, cars,holidays, foreign property and Louis Vuitton handbags for the wife.

Better than my Mum and Dads Redifussion 50p meter TV and sticky back plastic kitchen.

The government makes a lot out of home owners and they need to protect them now.

Be careful what you wish for all you doom mongers.

OK I give up, you are definately a stooge

No-one could seriously come out with this stuff unless it was a parody

Maybe this is one of the journos from the Daily Mash?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that if you give your organisation a name that sounds like ithas some authority you can get a press release out and get it published. In general, journalists are lazy sods and if you give them some text in a format they can use, they will use it without researching it - make their life easy and they'll publish no matter how obviously stupid they appear. It's about time we set up a "research foundation" to formally announce statistics that may or may not be meaningless. May I suggest the "Sterling, Housing Index and Tax Executive"? Might be best as an acronym ;)

Edited by mikthe20
All that money we wasted on houses - the price of a house doubles and that's another ten years of labour some poor sod has to put in just to own it. We could have used that labour somewhere else - built new schools, dumped PFI and made real improvements to services, expanded healthcare, topped up people's pensions, so much we could have done, we could have created real wealth that you can touch and see in people's lives, but instead we agreed with each other that a house was worth double what it had been worth yesterday and buried all the cheap credit in it. What a ******ing waste. We threw it all away and frankly as a society we deserve to be eating cold beans by candlelight.

Well put.

I think it's the truth.

Great article and I hope to see plenty more like it soon. Also, it's what I've been saying all along isn't it?

I guess a few of you will be squirming and trying to throw a negative spin on it but it's what home owners want to hear.

Do you think anyone will drop the price of their house when they read that?

Just think how destroyed you would be if you murdered away your house now only to see it rise rapidly over the next few years. What your forgetting is people did this before.

Houses always go up in the end. It's still a safe bet.

They'll shoot you down mate, but here's a quote from one of their respected members on the blog this morning..'Davis Smith has cracked it!' 10.14am

2. mark said...

I cannot believe what I saw on rightmove today, loads of agents in the Cheshire area are putting the prices up... can anyone tell my why they are being stupid at a time like now.........Do they think all will be rosy when the bail out starts? If so they are thick as sh*t

Anyone shed any light please

Sunday, October 5, 2008 10:32AM

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I think it's the truth.

Great article and I hope to see plenty more like it soon. Also, it's what I've been saying all along isn't it?

I guess a few of you will be squirming and trying to throw a negative spin on it but it's what home owners want to hear.

Do you think anyone will drop the price of their house when they read that?

Just think how destroyed you would be if you murdered away your house now only to see it rise rapidly over the next few years. What your forgetting is people did this before.

Houses always go up in the end. It's still a safe bet.

The same shower of **** who predicted this 25% rise in the next 5 years was predicting a 40% rise over the next 5 years back in August last year: http://www.financemarkets.co.uk/2007/08/07...price-increase/

Where did the 15% go?

Oh, that must be the effect of this little credit crunch thingy that they couldn't even predict back in August when it was right on top of them. And you think a bunch of muppets with that sort of predicting power knows what house prices will be in 5 years time?

The Guardian has been as culpable in HPI as comics like The Express. BTL, leveraging, endless appreciation - they've swallowed it all in the past few years.

I don't think that's been true for a good while.

Their chief ecomonics writer, Larry Elliot, has been bearish for a long while. IMO, it's the Times that's been the more bullish broadsheet with Anne Ashworth and the fkn Bricks Chcks!

Looking through the Observer this morning it has a 12 page pullout on the Credit Crisis, bearish articles throughout. In context this 'house prices to soar' article looks ridiculous. I just don't think people are fooled by this bull anymore.

I don't think that's been true for a good while.

Their chief ecomonics writer, Larry Elliot, has been bearish for a long while. IMO, it's the Times that's been the more bullish broadsheet with Anne Ashworth and the fkn Bricks Chcks!

Looking through the Observer this morning it has a 12 page pullout on the Credit Crisis, bearish articles throughout. In context this 'house prices to soar' article looks ridiculous. I just don't think people are fooled by this bull anymore.

Agreed about Larry Elliot, he co-wrote that book 'Fantasy Island' which was way ahead of the game. I was thinking of the way they lay out their property section and the prominence they give to it - including, till very recently, BTL. But yes, point taken.

OK I give up, you are definately a stooge

No-one could seriously come out with this stuff unless it was a parody

Maybe this is one of the journos from the Daily Mash?

hes no stooge. hes RAJ SHASTRI and I claim my free wig.

STOP PRESS: HOUSE PRICES ARE GOING UP

While we're being treated to repeats of old news stories, here's another from earlier this year.

I love Stuart Law's pithy, though with hindsight, slightly over optimistic prediction.

Stuart Law, chief executive of property investment firm Assetz, said: “Confidence is returning to the market. This latest rise in prices should fuel further optimism among both buyers and sellers. I expect to see further house price rises this spring, but the Bank of England can’t afford to take its foot off the pedal."

He was right about the last bit though, the government and BoE have ploughed about 300 billion of our money into attempts to shore up the market since this was written.

What I can't understand and probably won't until I'm 150, is why does everyone on here want the UK to crash and burn?

If houses did drop massively it would be because everything else around them has as well.

Nice houses, cars,holidays, foreign property and Louis Vuitton handbags for the wife.

Better than my Mum and Dads Redifussion 50p meter TV and sticky back plastic kitchen.

The government makes a lot out of home owners and they need to protect them now.

Sibley, it is good to have a bull around but sadly in the last few posts you have given yourself away as being nothing of the sort. Your replies are too well crafted to go against so much of what is discussed on this site that you must have a detailed knowledge to achieve the level of consistency you have in each of your posts.

Originally on reading your posts I felt huge urge to counter your views but given there are so many that would need to be addressed I could never muster the energy.

I am now an admirer of your work and will watch as people fall for the many bits of bait you scatter around each of you posts.

Keep up the good work!

Good Description of yourself Now Run Along and Start Preparing for Your Next Wind-Up Post

What strikes me as really weird is that I'm just a normal working bloke.

I haven't got a mega paying job or anything. I get paid by the hour.What you are getting is the average man on the streets views. Things we speak about in the canteen during tea breaks. If that seems detached from what you are thinking then one of us is missing something.

I don't know what highly paid management or posh office workers talk about but it doesn't seem to be the same as us.

Oh and by the way. I work hard what what I have. 4am starts and 8pm returns home are normal.

It didn't fall on my lap.

I haven't got a mega paying job or anything. I get paid by the hour.What you are getting is the average man on the streets views. Things we speak about in the canteen during tea breaks. If that seems detached from what you are thinking then one of us is missing something.

I don't know what highly paid management or posh office workers talk about but it doesn't seem to be the same as us.

Oh and by the way. I work hard what what I have. 4am starts and 8pm returns home are normal.

what is being talked about is the depth of the crisis in the banking world.

Banks think EACH OTHER are about to bust, thats why they wont lend to each other.... even overnight.

This is caused by the credit binge we have all enjoyed these last 10 years.

trouble is, as you know, being a working man with a wage, that you can borrow only so much, limited in fact by your spare cash to repay the monthly dues.

What has happened is that millions of people throughout the world now cannot pay those monthly dues. Banks cant even pay their own dues.

now, where does this leave a man who wants to borrow 6 times his salary to buy a house?

Hmm?

Well played sir.

However, you simply sound like an addict. I imagine drug users feel better high than straight. Is that a good argument to continue a life of addiction?

People have been spending money they never had and would never have had. Fun while is lasted but as with Drug addicts Coming down is a bitch and unavoidable...

And that somehow makes you right about this?

Please stick around though, because when I hear you say, on behalf of the sheeple populace you represent, "prices are never going to recover", that's when I'm gonna buy

I'm not overly bothered whether house prices go up or down.

If they go down, woo.. I will probably get a UK house and try my best to call the trough (have to wait for above-inflation YoY rises before they are actually rising in real terms again anyway, it's gonna be a while, and I expect a few MoM rises well before it gets to that point).

If they go up, then I'm taking my degree to some other place, where the housing costs 1/4 of what it does here. Adapting to a different culture will be difficult, but much better than wasting an extra 15 years of my life working to give money to some bankers, with nothing but a mouldy terrace built 150 years ago by child labour to show for it. At a rough guess, it might cost a year's work to make the move, another year to learn the language, and another year to properly settle, but that's only 3 years... and I get the feeling that they'd be a lot more interesting than 9 to 5 at the office.

Of course, there are probably lots of people who would rather waste 15 years of their lives to be good little debt slaves just to stay in the UK, but they fall square into the "sheeple" category.

UK graduates have been leaving the country in droves lately, if the stupid boomers and buy-to-let investors want to continue financial genocide against the young and intelligent... then they are fully welcome to become old biddies in their mansions surrounded by lots of hungry chavs. That's their choice, not mine. I have legs!

Edited by DementedTuna

Sibleys.

The Greater Sibley Plan worked well, until we ran out of Sibleys.