House Price Crash Forum

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A report published last month by the National Housing Federation suggests the average house price in England will rise 25 per cent by 2013.

We saw this report before havent we?

Basically all it's saying is that by 2013 (5 years time), prices may be where they were at the start of this year..

'That price rise may be every bit as large as the current price falls'

As is usual with these kind of articles the headline is irrelevant to the actual hard facts of the article.

No-one can predict where prices will be in 5 years time.

Who predicted that prices would fall by 10% in six months (Haliwide figures) ?

What is far more interesting is what will happen before the rise.

How far will they fall, first ?

"Best to take things one step at a time," I always say.

(from Chapter 8 of "The Sayings of The Noodle")

I think it's the truth.

Great article and I hope to see plenty more like it soon. Also, it's what I've been saying all along isn't it?

I guess a few of you will be squirming and trying to throw a negative spin on it but it's what home owners want to hear.

Do you think anyone will drop the price of their house when they read that?

Just think how destroyed you would be if you murdered away your house now only to see it rise rapidly over the next few years. What your forgetting is people did this before.

Houses always go up in the end. It's still a safe bet.

Edited by Sibley
I think it's the truth.

Great article and I hope to see plenty more like it soon. Also, it's what I've been saying all along isn't it?

I guess a few of you will be squirming and trying to throw a negative spin on it but it's what home owners want to hear.

Just think how destroyed you would be if you murdered away your house now only to see it rise rapidly over the next few years. What your forgetting is people did this before.

:lol:

This speaks volumes about you. Can you get your head any further into the sand?

I think it's the truth.

This guy is great; a true reflection of the most popular subject on this forum: sheeple idiocy

What a load of tosh! Why do people believe this crap?

Sadly people believe anything and everything which suits them. There are people on here, for example, who believe that their local cashpoint being empty is evidence of a worldwide banking crisis. Because it suits them to think that. And there are others who agree with them for the same reason.

If you have a house and a huge mortgage you can understand the comfort in believing this, even if deep down you have your doubts. Think of it as a McDonald's for the mind.

Edited by Simon_Trinity
I think it's the truth.

Is this post-modern irony?

And why the vicious attack on Will Hutton in the title of the thread? I think the article in today's Observer (not posted above) shows how much he understands the present mess is a result of unbridled capitalist speculation. He certainly doesn't believe we are in for a house price boom or any other boom (except maybe bankruptcies and unemployment) any time soon.

Basically all it's saying is that by 2013 (5 years time), prices may be where they were at the start of this year..
I think it's the truth.

I guess a few of you will be squirming...

How safe a bet?

Edited by hairbearbunch

It's true house prices have always risen in the longer term and will probably continue to do so, but beyond that, the article is total nonsense. We are looking at falling prices for propbably the next year or two. In financial terms, now would be a bad time to buy a house - the best time to buy would be when prices have bottomed.

The government says the slump has meant Britain has fallen behind on it's target to build 3 million new homes by 2020, or whatever it was. But that target is somewhat abstract. Despite efforts to deny the fact, we already have an over-supply of houses on the market. If builders step up output to meet the targets, that will just flood the market with more and more unwanted houses, which will drive prices DOWN, not up.

Edited by blankster

I actually think they've got a point, although they're probably a couple of years out.

Take an average house valued at £200k last September.

It's probably now worth around £160k and by 2010 will be worth £100k ish.

By 2012 things may start to buck up and there's an outside chance that by around 2015 the house may be worth £125k.

So there you go - a price increase of 25%!

No fools, these guys. :lol:

What I can't understand and probably won't until I'm 150, is why does everyone on here want the UK to crash and burn?

If houses did drop massively it would be because everything else around them has as well.

No jobs, money and rubbish lives.

Maybe the last 20 years has been built on credit but hasn't it been great?

Nice houses, cars,holidays, foreign property and Louis Vuitton handbags for the wife.

Better than my Mum and Dads Redifussion 50p meter TV and sticky back plastic kitchen.

The government makes a lot out of home owners and they need to protect them now.

Be careful what you wish for all you doom mongers.

Edited by Sibley

The Guardian has been as culpable in HPI as comics like The Express. BTL, leveraging, endless appreciation - they've swallowed it all in the past few years. I find it quite hard to see it as a grown-up paper at all these days. Look at their sympathetic coverage of that fkn reptile Mandelson...

Well, speaking only for myself, I think the last twenty years have been a horrific waste of credit. We could have done so much with it - laid foundations for true, lasting improvements. Look at the dotcom boom and crash - we reap the benefits today in the data communications infrastructure that has added to our lives and, in many cases, fundamentally changed the ways by which information is shared and used.

All that money we wasted on houses - the price of a house doubles and that's another ten years of labour some poor sod has to put in just to own it. We could have used that labour somewhere else - built new schools, dumped PFI and made real improvements to services, expanded healthcare, topped up people's pensions, so much we could have done, we could have created real wealth that you can touch and see in people's lives, but instead we agreed with each other that a house was worth double what it had been worth yesterday and buried all the cheap credit in it. What a ******ing waste. We threw it all away and frankly as a society we deserve to be eating cold beans by candlelight.