House Price Crash Forum

Ll Has House Up For Sale Which I Am About To Rent

Papitogrande

HOLA441

Hi there,

I am about to sign a 12 month tenancy on a really nice place that I would one day like to buy - it's humorously overpriced right now but one day it may be worth it. It's simultaneously up for sale and rent and although the agent 'believes' that it will be off the market after I move in I can't be certain.

My question is simple, what happens if 3 months into the 12 month tenancy the landlord agrees a sale?

HOLA442
Hi there,

I am about to sign a 12 month tenancy on a really nice place that I would one day like to buy - it's humorously overpriced right now but one day it may be worth it. It's simultaneously up for sale and rent and although the agent 'believes' that it will be off the market after I move in I can't be certain.

My question is simple, what happens if 3 months into the 12 month tenancy the landlord agrees a sale?

Stipulate in the contract that it will be taken off the market when you sign the tenancy and also stipulate when and what conditions (i.e 24 hour email notice) the LL may show prospective buyers/renters the property in the last two months of your tenancy.

If they will not agree to this in writing - they are not serious. You may as well know now.

I as in a similar sitiation recently. I rented a flat where the LL was prepared to do the right thing. On the other I dropped him like a hot brick.

I would not agree to any tenancy where the LL will not agree more than a 6 months term and wants to also keep it on the sales market. Some LL seem to be trying to use tenants as a paying house sitter while they try and sell it.

Edited by Wad

HOLA443
Guest anorthosite

You have a new landlord for the last 9 months. They certainly can't evict you before the agreement is up.

Of course the landlord probably won't sell if you don't let anyone in to view it - which is your right no matter what the tenancy agreement states.

HOLA444
Hi there,

Unless you stop paying rent the LL can not evict you for any reason in the first six months, thereafter you can only be evicted on ground 1 of the 1988HA if the property was the former family home or ground 2 if the bank reposesses.... other than that you will be safe for the full 12 months

HOLA445
HOLA446

Check your rental agreement to see if there is a clause about paying a fee to the agent if you do decide to pay the house at a later stage. This does sound like a strange thing to say but I have had this clause in previous contracts. There is of course some debate on how enforceable this it, but it may be worth looking out for.