House Price Crash Forum

The Times Calls Time On Housepricecrash.co.uk

http://timesbusiness.typepad.com/money_web...092220

Quote:

The end of annoying one-issue websites. The harbingers of doom at websites such as www.housepricecrash.co.uk and www.propertysnake.co.uk will have nothing left to warn us about. House price crash? Been there, done that.

Been there and done that? What?? I thought the crash still had years to run, and won't be behind us for some time. With VI spin like that to combat I suspect HPC.co.uk will be around for a while yet.

:ph34r:

Edit: fixed url for article

Edited by werewolves
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...what these people fail to see is house prices are only a sympton of many other issues ...and all the linking issues, politics, business, personal finance, fraud, world markets etc ..etc... are discussed on this site ...this is not a one issue site ....and you don't have to be very bright to realise this.... <_<

...what these people fail to see is house prices are only a sympton of many other issues ...and all the linking issues, politics, business, personal finance, fraud, world markets etc ..etc... are discussed on this site ...this is not a one issue site ....and you don't have to be very bright to realise this.... <_<

I know, One issue site indeed, she clearly isnt a member or listens to Injin when he's had a few on a friday.

Guest Steve Cook
http://timesbusiness.typepad.com/money_web...092220

Quote:

The end of annoying one-issue websites. The harbingers of doom at websites such as www.housepricecrash.co.uk and www.propertysnake.co.uk will have nothing left to warn us about. House price crash? Been there, done that.

Been there and done that? What?? I thought the crash still had years to run, and won't be behind us for some time. With VI spin like that to combat I suspect HPC.co.uk will be around for a while yet.

Edit: fixed url for article

when the mouthpiece of the establishement feels the need to comment, you can bet they think we are having an effect

Just keeps spreading the word, the times is a nice touch, I have never seen it so busy on here.

Good point, I first heard about HPC when a deluded Times columnist was slating it back in 2005. I remember the day, sitting in the canteen eating chips with the sun shining.

P.S.

I don't know if it's already been done, but a where did you hear about housepricecrash.co.uk poll would be interesting.

Guest KingCharles1st
Good point, I first heard about HPC when a deluded Times columnist was slating it back in 2005. I remember the day, sitting in the canteen eating chips with the sun shining.

P.S.

I don't know if it's already been done, but a where did you hear about housepricecrash.co.uk poll would be interesting.

I just googled "house price predictions" a long long time ago

The end is nigh for buy to let!!!!

those once trying to list their abodes in the rental section of the market,have now become the initally small,but swelling population frequenting the "repental" portion of property supplements.

how's that for a nice little doom-monger soundbite??

Edited by oracle

Newspapers are now panicking about their own survival, due to the massive collapse in advertising revenues from home sales, holiday sales (esp Times posh trips) and so on. They were already battling against advertising competition from the internet, and losing, now some will go the wall during the depression - along with journalists who work there (or freelance).

She is probably mortgaged to the hilt and petrified of unemployment, therefore trying to bury the topic. Bit King Canute-esque if you ask me :lol:

I wonder which major paper will be first to fold, if you forgive the pun

when the mouthpiece of the establishement feels the need to comment, you can bet they think we are having an effect

I suppose to the degree that the papers see their future as partly web based sites like this are very real competitors to them.

Another interesting thought- does the open nature of debate on sites like this play a role in keeping the mainstream honest? Their freedom to spin must be undercut by the existance of alternative information sources like HPC. For the first time historicly there is a yardstick against which their statements can be measured- and if they are consistantly found wanting they will lose credibility over time, and with it market share.

Guest Steve Cook
Newspapers are now panicking about their own survival, due to the massive collapse in advertising revenues from home sales, holiday sales (esp Times posh trips) and so on. They were already battling against advertising competition from the internet, and losing, now some will go the wall during the depression - along with journalists who work there (or freelance).

She is probably mortgaged to the hilt and petrified of unemployment, therefore trying to bury the topic. Bit King Canute-esque if you ask me :lol:

I wonder which major paper will be first to fold, if you forgive the pun

:lol:

I suppose to the degree that the papers see their future as partly web based sites like this are very real competitors to them.

Another interesting thought- does the open nature of debate on sites like this play a role in keeping the mainstream honest? Their freedom to spin must be undercut by the existance of alternative information sources like HPC. For the first time historicly there is a yardstick against which their statements can be measured- and if they are consistantly found wanting they will lose credibility over time, and with it market share.

Good point.

One thing I've learnt over the years is the amount of bias or 'marketing' that makes it way into newspapers articles, which is then passed off as fact.

The major property market vested interests have been issuing 'favourable' press releases for years. These are cut/pasted and regurgitated by columnists with little additional thought. Mr Joe or Ms Josephine Public read these articles, and are heavily influenced by them.

This well oiled heavy weight marketing machine is a monster, and it isn't afraid to push aside any HPC spanners that are thrown into the works.

As we sit hear eating crisps and watching telly, these marketing minds are working hard. Words like crash are replaced with 'the property market pauses for breath'. Predictions for falls in prices are replaced with 'it's futile to try and make predictions about the future of house prices', and if I hear that damn 'the underlying fundamentals are sound' argument again...

I find HPC an excellent site for countering this marketing spin. Here I don't feel like the odd one out for not having ones head stuck firmly in the sand.