House Price Crash Forum

I Have Been Mesmerised By Today's Papers

Guest Mr Parry
The air of unreality reminds me of moments when I was a kid, walking back from the dentist still high on the anaesthetic. (The picture below might as well come from Hieronymus Bosch.)

Do any of the journalists (the actual people who walk back and forth to work) really think this?

Perhaps, thanks to "media studies", journalists are just the same as the people the beeb somehow manage to interview in the street, and I am slowly entering a world where, eventually, there will be no one left to speak to.

"Fill your boots" front page of Sun today.

Blokes on site very angry, don't believe it. See through the BS and know they are going to pay for it.

British public not that stupid.

Can't wait for Monday when it all goes off again. I think it will be going down hill again after people have had the weekend to think about things. It's becoming a bit of a sick daily delight coming home from work each day and looking to see which bank has gone under or is on life support. I'm enjoying it a lttle too much I think. My parenets think everything is going to be good too, now that the markets ahve made a bit of a turn. Wish I could convince them otherwise.

The air of unreality reminds me of moments when I was a kid, walking back from the dentist still high on the anaesthetic. (The picture below might as well come from Hieronymus Bosch.)

Do any of the journalists (the actual people who walk back and forth to work) really think this?

Perhaps, thanks to "media studies", journalists are just the same as the people the beeb somehow manage to interview in the street, and I am slowly entering a world where, eventually, there will be no one left to speak to.

The Media are happy to reflect what the general population are capable of understanding.

Trying to explain that the bounce was purely caused by speculators covering their shorts is a little too complicated.

Well, that's it folks.....crisis over, and Gordie for re-election.

....except for the fact that the fundamental economic / market problems still exist. They have just bought themselves a couple of weeks, that's all.

The Media are happy to reflect what the general population are capable of understanding.

Trying to explain that the bounce was purely caused by speculators covering their shorts is a little too complicated.

Well, that's it folks.....crisis over, and Gordie for re-election.

....except for the fact that the fundamental economic / market problems still exist. They have just bought themselves a couple of weeks, that's all.

Nothing will collapse until the US election takes place. I believe that literally anything will be done to keep things afloat until then.

New president might need a little help from Saudi Arabia.

Edited by DementedTuna

some on the media get "it" - not in this country though

Glenn Beck show trasnscript

BECK: Hello, America.

I told you a while back that one day you`re going to wake up on a Monday and by Friday your country won`t be the same. This may be that week.

In response to the big steaming mess on Wall Street, the world central banks have been injecting huge amounts of cash into the world`s financial system to make sure that firms needing the money to stay afloat can actually find some cash. If it were only that easy. Here is "The Point" tonight, America.

I hate to say it, but I`m beginning to believe this story can only end one of three ways. Another Great Depression like 1929. Economic stagflation like 1979, or a Soviet-style collapse like 1989. My grandfather told me when I was very young, never think that -- never think it can`t happen to you. I think it can. Here`s how I got there.

Our conservative candidate, John McCain, is now saying yes to bailouts. The FDIC is running out of money to insure your life savings. Uncle Sam is printing money in the basement or stealing it from Peter so he can pay Paul, and our politicians are still promising us more free stuff. What the hell is wrong with us? We can only play this shell game for so long. You know it and I know it. This cannot go on.

Tonight, America, here is what you need to know. We have got to make a choice. We are either capitalists or we`re not. We either believe in the free market system or we do not. We can`t play both sides.

We`ve had every politician tell us for years, we`re spending too much money, our deficit is out of control. So what the hell do these people do when we`re up to our eyeballs in debt? They do out and buy half of the mortgages in the country. And then to top it off the world`s largest insurance company. Now they`re packing their bags to head to Detroit. Only politicians would be that reckless while we are in the position that we are in.

Peter Schiff is the president of Euro Pac and author of "Crash Proof: How to Profit from the Coming Economic Collapse." And Steve Cordasco hosts the "Big Money" show on 1210-AM WPHT in Philadelphia.

Peter, let me start with this. Please give me another one if you think it`s possible: 1929, 1979, or 1989 Soviet Union. Which -- which are we doing?

PETER SCHIFF, PRESIDENT, EURO PAC: It could be a combination of all three. That`s the scary part. Because not only are we going to have a giant recession, depression, whatever you want to call it, but we`re not going to have falling consumer prices like we had in the 1930s. Consumer prices are going to go through the roof.

With all the money they`re printing, it`s not accident that gold was up more than $100 an ounce in the last two days. This is pure inflation. And unfortunately, as you mentioned, you know, the government created these problems. And now the government is saying that the solution is more government. They`re trying to blame the free market for the problems that they created. We wouldn`t have had this bubble if it wasn`t for government intervention in the market in the first place.

Nothing will collapse until the US election takes place. I believe that literally anything will be done to keep things afloat until then.

New president might need a little help from Saudi Arabia.

You know, that's exactly what I thought the idea here was: http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=73331

The leaders of Saudi Arabia, citing demands from OPEC to cut production, have left the oil cartel to "meet the demands of the market."

This is a serious blow to OPEC because Saudi Arabia is the largest exporter of oil in the world. This coupled with a new oil field found in Brazil will limit the cartel's ability to control the supply of oil.

OPEC has made no statement about dissolving, but this will seriously inhibit their ability to control the price of oil.

Petrol prices coming down much? :ph34r: