House Price Crash Forum

Woking

Stevewho

HOLA441
I'm curious to know what has happened here

23/02/2006 £860,000 Det. F No Map Brynmead, Knowl Hill, Woking, Surrey, GU22 7HL

24/04/2007 £1,060,000 Det. F No Map Brynmead, Knowl Hill, Woking, Surrey, GU22 7HL

Now £1.575m

"A wonderful family house that has recently been comprehensively extended and refurbished to a very high standard and now provides excellent accommodation on three levels, set in the heart of this private estate"

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-223...p;mam_disp=true

Sounds like expensive renovations on this type of property, house is empty, is it a repossession, or is the developer about to lose his shirt?

This one smacks of a developer about to lose their shirt. A similar thing went up near where I used to lived, based on stamp duty, building costs, legal fees and estate agents fees the couple who did it would only by my calculations have made about £15k profit for nearly 12 months work, that was after they had to drop the asking price by £200k. They got out just about in time, but with nothing to show for their efforts, whereas anyone selling these sorts of thing now will really struggle.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Any guesses on whether the Victoria Way development of shiny new skyscrapers with rooftop restaurants, etc. will get finished, occupied, and with all the features still intact?

There are two residential block also planned, surely they will never get off the ground now.....

HOLA443
Any guesses on whether the Victoria Way development of shiny new skyscrapers with rooftop restaurants, etc. will get finished, occupied, and with all the features still intact?

There are two residential block also planned, surely they will never get off the ground now.....

I doubt it. I actually think it will be a shame if they don't build the commercial blocks. I am not normally a fan of skyscraper type developments, but in this case I think they could be a real asset to Woking town centre, and start to turn it into the regional business centre that it should be.

In terms of the residential blocks, I think some developers are finally realising that enough is enough. There is a small development near me where building work has been on hold for weeks - I think that they would lose too much money if they built and released them into the current market, and that is if they could sell them at all.

• 1 month later...
HOLA444
I doubt it. I actually think it will be a shame if they don't build the commercial blocks. I am not normally a fan of skyscraper type developments, but in this case I think they could be a real asset to Woking town centre, and start to turn it into the regional business centre that it should be.

In terms of the residential blocks, I think some developers are finally realising that enough is enough. There is a small development near me where building work has been on hold for weeks - I think that they would lose too much money if they built and released them into the current market, and that is if they could sell them at all.

Here's one who's decided to give up:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...y-18708250.html

£700k for a plot of land with planning consent for 8 two-bed flats.

HOLA445

Rentals have also fallen quite sharply.

Here's a 5-bed at £700k

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...y-11385681.html

or for rent at £2650

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-ren...y-19667839.html

It has been empty for months, no interest. Evidently both prices are too high. Too many rental properties available.

Most properties haven't been adjusted to the new, late 2008, price yet, but it's evident that Woking is suffering quite a blood bath. Real prices have fallen by 25% already.

HOLA446
Here's one who's decided to give up:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...y-18708250.html

£700k for a plot of land with planning consent for 8 two-bed flats.

Not quite sure who is going to be buying these plots now. 8 flats at, say, £180k each will net £1.4m, which does not leave much room for profit if the market comes off even more.

The site that I mentioned earlier in the thread is still dormant. This has PP for 21 flats, but the developer must have paid at least £2m simply because the site consisted of 3 large (derelict) houses that would have sold for at least that without any work required.

• 5 weeks later...
HOLA447
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA448
Woking appears not to be faring so well. Woolworths (obviously) closed down, Roseby's close down, Hawkin's Bazaar, Poundland lasted only a month, M&S has just been announced for closure.

Also Zavvi closed with no notice on Thursday, Whittards closed down today, there are several vacant shops in the Wolsey Place shopping centre, and the shop selling shruikens is closing in two weeks.

More to come. Commuterland will surely bear the brunt of the recession the hardest.

Prices in Woking to fall much further.

HOLA449
Also Zavvi closed with no notice on Thursday, Whittards closed down today, there are several vacant shops in the Wolsey Place shopping centre, and the shop selling shruikens is closing in two weeks.

More to come. Commuterland will surely bear the brunt of the recession the hardest.

Prices in Woking to fall much further.

I am surprised that the Zavvi in Woking lasted as long as it did. Virgin worked out that they were surplus to requirements in Kingston a few years ago, so I don't know why te Zavvi management thought that they could compete with HMV in a much smaller town like Woking.

The M&S closure was a bit of a surprise, though, given that it was not just the Simply Food store.

HOLA4410
The M&S closure was a bit of a surprise, though, given that it was not just the Simply Food store.

The store is too small. No children's clothes, poor food selection. I've never bought any clothes there. The irony is that Woolworths is imediately below it and their premises would turn it into a viable store. Doubt it will happen in these times.

HOLA4411
The store is too small. No children's clothes, poor food selection. I've never bought any clothes there. The irony is that Woolworths is imediately below it and their premises would turn it into a viable store. Doubt it will happen in these times.

Funny, I was thinking M&S would do just that - stick an escalator in like they did at Brooklands - before they announced the closure.

HOLA4412
Funny, I was thinking M&S would do just that - stick an escalator in like they did at Brooklands - before they announced the closure.

I think it was probably the Brooklands store that killed it - they probably don't need a Woking store with large ones in Brooklands and Guildford.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Back to the original question I think that Woking is a good place to live house prices fluctuate all the time but location location location the key word on property, just outside London, good rail links, not to far away to the countryside nice place to live. As a long-term investment, I would rate it as a buy.

HOLA4415
Back to the original question I think that Woking is a good place to live house prices fluctuate all the time but location location location the key word on property, just outside London, good rail links, not to far away to the countryside nice place to live. As a long-term investment, I would rate it as a buy.

Well welcome chief, lets see if youre gonna buy it then, if its such a juicy oppurtunity then step up to the plate, man

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

More closures every day. Adams has closed down without fanfare. The BB's Coffee and Muffins in both shopping centres are closed.

The food court in the Peacocks continues to fail, with Quiznos and Sumo Salad long since vacated leaving little more than fast food for the chavs.

Shopper numbers can only continue to fall as shoppers head to other destinations such as Brooklands, Guildford and Camberley, or just stay home. A death spiral of shop closures seems likely.

A walk up Chertsey Road reveals 10s of thousands of square feet of recently vacated office space. The promised glitzy skyscraper opposite Toys R Us is clearly not going to materialise - the '£4 all day parking' sign being something of a giveaway.

'Enterprise Place', the block of flats being constructed by United House (social housing contractor, but these don't appear to be social) behind Holiday Inn are just the ticket to bring prices even lower on the already plummeting residential towers that exist in Woking.

Hopefully at least the recession means the council will stop wasting our money on lunatic eco-projects.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4418
I still think that the £3k cost of a travelcard is prohibitive if there are two commuters in the household, though. That £4k extra cost per year could do quite a lot of damage to the mortgage/rent bill on a zone 2 flat. You are right that the houses are much cheaper - I dread to think how much that £330k semi would be on the market for in Wimbledon.

A lot, but Wimbledon is not what it used to be. It is a serious chav fest on friday evenings and the weekend now if you go anywhere near the station. To escape and get back to normality you need to head up the hill to Wimbledon Village. Then you are talking big money, but is it worth it.......now thats the question.

HOLA4419
A lot, but Wimbledon is not what it used to be. It is a serious chav fest on friday evenings and the weekend now if you go anywhere near the station. To escape and get back to normality you need to head up the hill to Wimbledon Village. Then you are talking big money, but is it worth it.......now thats the question.

Yes, agree with this 100%. Wimbledon Village is great, but Wimbledon itself has turned into another typical vomit ridden, violent , chav infested urban centre and I am not sure why people would chose to live there. The transport links are not particularly great either, slow trains and a slow tube. Timewise it is actually quicker to live in Woking if you want to get into the London.

Edited by mikelivingstone

HOLA4420
Yes, agree with this 100%. Wimbledon Village is great, but Wimbledon itself has turned into another typical vomit ridden, violent , chav infested urban centre and I am not sure why people would chose to live there. The transport links are not particularly great either, slow trains and a slow tube. Timewise it is actually quicker to live in Woking if you want to get into the London.

I agree about Wimbledon, but what large town isn't like this now, even when you go a bit further out? Guildford can be a frightening experience on a Friday night if you are over 25, and Woking is not much better. Epsom, Kingston and Sutton are all similar. There are increasing reports in the local papers of chav 'incidents' in smaller towns like Esher and Weybridge lately, but these remain much better.

The difference with Wimbledon is that houses prices are astronomical compared to these other areas.

I do think that the travel is much better, though. Wimbledon trains are ten minutes quicker into Waterloo than Woking ones, which I agree is not a lot, but the tube could make a lot of difference if you work in the City. South Wimbledon to Bank is under half an hour on the Northern Line with a guaranteed seat and no changes.

HOLA4421
I agree about Wimbledon, but what large town isn't like this now, even when you go a bit further out? Guildford can be a frightening experience on a Friday night if you are over 25, and Woking is not much better.

Woking is not a nice night out, unless you are a chav. The council estates in South Woking spew their inhabitants over the town centre, which consists of of the opposing chav meccas Yates and O'Neills. Then of course there is Wetherspoons. Not exactly places to sit and sip Chianti.

HOLA4422
Woking is not a nice night out, unless you are a chav. The council estates in South Woking spew their inhabitants over the town centre, which consists of of the opposing chav meccas Yates and O'Neills. Then of course there is Wetherspoons. Not exactly places to sit and sip Chianti.

Is Enzo's bar still alive and kicking? That always used to be the one bar in Woking that chavs did not seem to be interested in - good food too.

The problem with Woking is that it is too small for the number of chavs it attracts. Guildford and Kingston attract many more, but they are much bigger, so there are still quite a few pubs and bars which are unaffected if you know where to look.

HOLA4423
Is Enzo's bar still alive and kicking? That always used to be the one bar in Woking that chavs did not seem to be interested in - good food too.

I believe that's the Italian restaurant near Blockbusters, I do think it is open. Not really a pub though. There's a winebar type place on one of the alleys between Commercial Way and the High Street that doesn't look too chavvy from the outside at least. I haven't been in it to verify, but it appears to be the only joint in Woking that an 'urban professional' might haunt. But then I guess they work in the City, and do their boozing there, hence little market in Woking, which is remarkably unsophisticated on the eating and drinking front, even though it does have the (publicly funded) art gallery and major theatre.

I forgot to mention there is also the Chameleon nightclub, full of underage chav girls.

Edited by bambam

HOLA4424
I haven't been in it to verify, but it appears to be the only joint in Woking that an 'urban professional' might haunt. But then I guess they work in the City, and do their boozing there, hence little market in Woking, which is remarkably unsophisticated on the eating and drinking front, even though it does have the (publicly funded) art gallery and major theatre.

True, but there are actually quite a few bars and restaurants that cater to this type of crowd in Surbiton, and you would have thought that the market would be relatively similar to Woking.

I suppose that Surbiton is a bit further in and has the advantage of Kingston on the doorstep to attract a lot of the chavs away (not that a lot of them don't stay in Surbiton to inhabit Wetherspoons and the other station pubs, of course!)

HOLA4425

The problem with Woking is that it is too small for the number of chavs it attracts. Guildford and Kingston attract many more, but they are much bigger, so there are still quite a few pubs and bars which are unaffected if you know where to look.

Guildford does have its fare share of chavs, however they very kindly stick to the Weatherspoons/Flares/Harpers end of town, leaving the rest relatively unspoilt.