House Price Crash Forum

Woking

Stevewho

HOLA441
Guildford does have its fare share of chavs, however they very kindly stick to the Weatherspoons/Flares/Harpers end of town, leaving the rest relatively unspoilt.

Indeed. It is just a shame that this area is right by the station, so you have to walk through it to get to the other parts. Kingston is just the same, exit the station into the chav melee caused by Lloyds No1 bar and the Oceana nightclub. The councils must do this to discourage normal people from coming into the town centres in the evenings - if I were a new visitor to the area, I would just stay on the train!

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Indeed. It is just a shame that this area is right by the station, so you have to walk through it to get to the other parts. Kingston is just the same, exit the station into the chav melee caused by Lloyds No1 bar and the Oceana nightclub. The councils must do this to discourage normal people from coming into the town centres in the evenings - if I were a new visitor to the area, I would just stay on the train!

How true! I hadn't thought of that - I live about 5 mins walk from the Hight Street so rarely venture down to 'Chav Corner!!'

HOLA443
A walk up Chertsey Road reveals 10s of thousands of square feet of recently vacated office space. The promised glitzy skyscraper opposite Toys R Us is clearly not going to materialise - the '£4 all day parking' sign being something of a giveaway.

'Enterprise Place', the block of flats being constructed by United House (social housing contractor, but these don't appear to be social) behind Holiday Inn are just the ticket to bring prices even lower on the already plummeting residential towers that exist in Woking.

Many houses are being built, but they just stand empty because nobody will sell at a realistic price. The overcapacity is so overt, the demand so obviously lacking, I cannot comprehend how they can keep the asking prices at this ceiling. The dislocation of resource is infuriating.

By the way, between the £4 day parking skyscraper and the market, there's an easter egg for the bears (attached). I think this wasn't a recent closure. Taking a stroll around Woking centre I counted about 20 EAs still trading. :angry:

Image164.jpg

post-18749-1235593256_thumb.jpg

HOLA444
HOLA445

It sounds very much that you people don’t like where you live, you know the answer don’t you MOVE.

I like living here I travel all over the uk and I promise you this is a nice place to live.

HOLA446
It sounds very much that you people don’t like where you live, you know the answer don’t you MOVE.

Who said they didn't like where they live?

Just because we are talking about the undeniable chav infestation in Woking doesn't mean it's a bad place. There are chavs everywhere.

Only the basest sort of nationalist refuses to hear any criticism of the place they live.

HOLA447
Who said they didn't like where they live?

Just because we are talking about the undeniable chav infestation in Woking doesn't mean it's a bad place. There are chavs everywhere.

Only the basest sort of nationalist refuses to hear any criticism of the place they live.

Nowhere is perfect. What is undeniable in some of these messages is the snobby attitude towards other people, and that says more about the people making the remarks than their targets. This thread has a snob infestation, it seems to me.Very sad.

Edited by cardinal3

HOLA448
Nowhere is perfect. What is undeniable in some of these messages is the snobby attitude towards other people, and that says more about the people making the remarks than their targets. This thread has a snob infestation, it seems to me.Very sad.

Go live in 'non-judgemental land' then, in the mean time the rest of us can live in the real world where people get on best with people of similar interests and backgrounds.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Latest shop to close down is Threshers, opposite the station.

Times must be hard if people are not buying booze any more.

A friend of mine worked for the threshers group until recently. They are getting hit really hard by the supermarkets often using cheap booze as a loss leader, and Threshers can't buy in at what the supermarkets are selling for!!

HOLA4411
A friend of mine worked for the threshers group until recently. They are getting hit really hard by the supermarkets often using cheap booze as a loss leader, and Threshers can't buy in at what the supermarkets are selling for!!

They can if they pop to Asda, surely?;)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Not sure if Waitrose is facing reduced custom. They were handing out vouchers for £5 off £25 in the town centre today. For some reason so were Sainsburys, I picked up a stack of £2 off £10 from them.

Incidentally here's a middle class house that appears to have sold after several months. It's a nice property on a cul-de-sac near St Andrews private school with indoor pool. Listed at £675k in October, reduced to £645k, finally sold at ??? [there's a sold sign outside and a skip full of the current owner's possessions]

http://www.propertyindex.com/RS1398627

Details preserved for posterity:

STUDY AREA 1.94m (6'4') x 1.62m (5'4')

LIVING ROOM 8.23m (27') max x 3.31m (10'10'

DINING AREA 4.29m(14'1'') x 3.30m(10'10'')

Conservatory 2.58m x 4.01m

Downstairs WC

KITCHEN/BREAKFAST ROOM 6.25m (20'6') max x 2.77m (9'1')

UTILITY ROOM 4.66m (15'4') x 1.71m (5'7')

GAMES ROOM 4.91m (16'1') x 3.65m (12')

FAMILY ROOM 8.28m (27'2') x 3.28m (10'9')

POOL ROOM 10.26m x 6.27m

1st Floor:

MASTER BEDROOM 3.50m (11'6') x 2.98m (9'9')

EN-SUITE BATHROOM

BEDROOM 2 4.04m (13'3') x 3.31m (10'10')

BEDROOM 3 3.43m(11'3'') max x 3.25m(10'8'')

BEDROOM 4 4.62m(15'2'') x 2.72m(8'11'')

OFFCE/STUDY AREA 2.64m (8'8') x 1.71m (5'7')

FAMILY BATHROOM 3.01m (9'11') x 2.30m (7'7')

Total area is a generous 2750 sq ft

I will await the Land Reg price with some interest.

I have to say it looks like a very nice house - short walk to both Woking station/town centre and to Horsell village centre, very nice cul-de-sac, and only 200 yards from the private school so ideal for parents there (yet not blighted by school parking, which goes on other roads). It's I guess a measure of how bad the market is that they took six months to sell it despite no obvious problems.

I'm not sure what the peak price would have been. I'm guessing £750k?

It's certainly a lot better than houses I was looking at in 2007 for £600k (which tended to be around 1500 sq ft). Although I guess about 800 sq ft here is coming from garage conversion and pool building. I guess the cost of those is not that high, so they don't add as much value as a 'proper' 2700 sq ft house would be.

It was also up for rent at £3k PCM

http://www.propertyindex.com/RR1608139

Edited by bambam

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

There goes another couple of quid on the council tax:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...-governors.html

According to the judge, Surrey County Council were terrified of being reported to the Commission for Racial Equality and supported the nutty Muslim convert (who is white) parent governor (who wasn't actually a parent) who wanted to turn the school into a madrassah and simultaneously failed to provide any support the capable and popular head teacher.

Gottlieb Leitner has a lot to answer for....

Edited by bambam

HOLA4418
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4419

some help please....

I am looking at making an offer on a property in the following postcode GU22 9PU, I am not fully up to speed on the area (although have spent a lot of time driving around there looking at properties) and would really appreciate an objective view.

The house is a 5/6 bedroom detached property that has been reduced from 675k in March 08 to 499k now, they may be happy to a substantial offer as well.

Any input will be much appreciated.

HOLA4420
some help please....

I am looking at making an offer on a property in the following postcode GU22 9PU, I am not fully up to speed on the area (although have spent a lot of time driving around there looking at properties) and would really appreciate an objective view.

The house is a 5/6 bedroom detached property that has been reduced from 675k in March 08 to 499k now, they may be happy to a substantial offer as well.

Any input will be much appreciated.

Not a bad area in Mayford at all, but I've been round the house and it's nasty. The "woodland" between the property and the road is included (1/2 acre), although I suspect this means liability if something falls in to the road there. Road noise not too bad considering how close it is to busy Kingfield road.

Property itself has dropped from 575 to 499. Large sq/m'rage, but really needs renovation and situated at the end of 2 or 3 other peoples drives. Still, if it floats your boat you could probably get it quite cheap. The agent who showed us around was less than enthusiastic FWIW.

HOLA4421
Not a bad area in Mayford at all, but I've been round the house and it's nasty. The "woodland" between the property and the road is included (1/2 acre), although I suspect this means liability if something falls in to the road there. Road noise not too bad considering how close it is to busy Kingfield road.

Property itself has dropped from 575 to 499. Large sq/m'rage, but really needs renovation and situated at the end of 2 or 3 other peoples drives. Still, if it floats your boat you could probably get it quite cheap. The agent who showed us around was less than enthusiastic FWIW.

Link:

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.a...amp;pid=3091881

HOLA4422

Under offer on rightmove, so looks like Should you Sell has got his/herself a new house.

I'd be aiming at the 375-400k mark, cos I reckon it needs at least £150k spent on it. Ideally it should be possible to connect the 2 separate upstairs together, and put in a decent staircase instead of the sprial (maybe where the bizarre garage converted reception room is).

Still, that is a lot of square metres there.

HOLA4423
Under offer on rightmove, so looks like Should you Sell has got his/herself a new house.

I'd be aiming at the 375-400k mark, cos I reckon it needs at least £150k spent on it. Ideally it should be possible to connect the 2 separate upstairs together, and put in a decent staircase instead of the sprial (maybe where the bizarre garage converted reception room is).

Still, that is a lot of square metres there.

It's a converted bungalow is it? Do those upstairs bits all have ceilings of uneven height? That was always a no-no for me, can't be banging my head.

HOLA4424
It's a converted bungalow is it? Do those upstairs bits all have ceilings of uneven height? That was always a no-no for me, can't be banging my head.

I demand that Should you Sell return and give us all the scoop.

Not seen it, but just down the road for that sort of money I would be taking a look at

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...00%26index%3D10

• 8 months later...
HOLA4425

I'm curious to know what has happened here

23/02/2006 £860,000 Det. F No Map Brynmead, Knowl Hill, Woking, Surrey, GU22 7HL

24/04/2007 £1,060,000 Det. F No Map Brynmead, Knowl Hill, Woking, Surrey, GU22 7HL

Now £1.575m

"A wonderful family house that has recently been comprehensively extended and refurbished to a very high standard and now provides excellent accommodation on three levels, set in the heart of this private estate"

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-223...p;mam_disp=true

Sounds like expensive renovations on this type of property, house is empty, is it a repossession, or is the developer about to lose his shirt?

This sold for 1.47m, fairly swiftly in fact.

Edited by bambam