House Price Crash Forum

Jeremy Vine Radio 2 Now - 12.30 Pm - "is It Morally

Ooh, I bet you're wondering how I knew

About you're plans to make me blue

Start a JV thread, like the one before.

Please, not again Galbear

Or we're gonna have to show you the door.

I wasn't all that surprised I must say,

When I read this earlier today,

You've got to know that...

I've had it with Jeremy Vine

Not much longer can I stand his whine.

Oh I've had it with Jeremy Vine,

Oh and I'm just about to lose my mind.

Honey, honey yeah

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

However its probably STUPID to buy a REPO right now - wait, and soon it's gonna get even cheaper!

Shsssssssssss.. we want someone to remove the chaf from the market before we jump in so that we have less compertion later.

I once brough a house for £73k that had been reduced from £92k during the last cash. If i had not done any work on it then it would had fell as low as £50k.

This time i don't want to make the same mistake again.

My spy in Westminster informs me that Gordon unelected Brown is toying with the

idea of demolishing all repossessed properties in an attempt to reinvigorate the

housing market through supply and demand.

Ed Balls was quoted as saying we think it's a good idea the only down side being

all that will be left North of Watford will be churches and supermarkets.

I heard that the guv'munt are going to make it illegal to buy repossessed houses.

Any repossessed house will automatically become the property of the state, in order to help house all those made homeless.

:ph34r:

When i got repossessed and someone bought the house i really hated them for it.

It is a bit silly blaming them as they did not know me but you do look for some outlet for your anger.

I ALWAYS thought i would never buy a repo because of those feelings at the time but i think i would have no problem now.

Its strange how you can change your ideas once the tables have been turned.. :P

I heard that the guv'munt are going to make it illegal to buy repossessed houses.

Any repossessed house will automatically become the property of the state, in order to help house all those made homeless.

:ph34r:

Yep, the once great Maggie Thatcher gave the hard working British citizens the opportunity

to buy their own home and live a secure life. Only problem is, the now incompetent Labour

party has encouraged all those that did to take on more debt than they could possibly cope

with. Now they're all being repossessed, Labour are now buying them all back up on the

cheap as Labour can't stand the thought of all the stinking Council estates being erradicated

by owner occupiers.

It’s a daft question on morals but it is an emotive subject.

I bought a repo in 1993. It was well advertised and went to sealed bids so ours was the best offer at that time. It was a great home for me and my family but I did feel for the previous owners who I guess also enjoyed living there at some time.

Fast forward 11 years and I get to see it from the other side when I had to sell BMV to complete my divorce. It’s was hard to see another family in the home that I cherished but at the same time I was glad that they bought it and enabled me to move on.

My old neighbour that hanged himself in his lounge that would just be creepy… but still not a moral issue.

Yep, the once great Maggie Thatcher gave the hard working British citizens the opportunity

to buy their own home and live a secure life. Only problem is, the now incompetent Labour

party has encouraged all those that did to take on more debt than they could possibly cope

with. Now they're all being repossessed, Labour are now buying them all back up on the

cheap as Labour can't stand the thought of all the stinking Council estates being erradicated

by owner occupiers.

Really?

This means that 10 yr housing list will disappear, giving all those immigrant workers and single mothers sitting on the dole more places to stay. Hooray for the pregnant teens!!!

<_<

My moral compass (cheers Gordon) is one of a sliding scale...

Which is more morally wrong, purchasing a repossessed house or fraudulently getting a mortgage which then gets you in to financial difficulty causing you to be repossessed.

Well as no money actually changes hands in the mortgage example and the bankers are commiting fraud on the unwary, then the question answers itself.

Can't for the life of me see why buying a repossessed house is in any way morally wrong. If you are repossessed it's either because you have financially stretched yourself or you failed to plan for the bad times, a mate of mine lost his job, despite the fact his is terrible money he wasn't stupid enough not to pay for payment protection insurance, he was out of work for close to 2 years and not once did he come close to repossession, if he had he always said he could just sell up and bank the extra cash he had made in increased equity.

Not that he owed a single penny in the first place.

There may be the odd exception but nobody will get repossessed if they have made the appropriate provisions. Problem is people have been foolish over the last few years and bit off more than they can chew and further extend that foolishness and stick their head in the sand, as soon as problems occur you get straight on to the lender.

People will get repossessed because it's been arranged that way. You dont really think 20% unemployment and hyperinflation has been in most peoples rainy day calculations, do you?

Edit: removed the word "dillusional". Does it even exist???

Was it "delusional" you were looking for? Good post btw.

Injin, some of your theories about banks and money might have some truth in them, but you'd need to convince many millions of people into your worldview to get anywhere. And I can't see anything much getting done under any alternative Injin system, except for anarchy and leaving us prone to dark forces with an eye on our territory.

Two ways of looking at it really...

1. No, of course it's not. It's a house. What else is going to happen to it?

... or ...

2. Yes, it's completely wrong. If no-one steps in to buy the repo, the bank won't be able to reclaim anything, and the debtors will have the full weight of their debt hanging round their necks. They borrowed it, they have to pay it back.

Stupid question, really.

My thoughts too. I have no problem with buying a house that was repossessed (maybe a house that was possessed, did you see Poltergeist?).

I see this as two distinct things anyway - the repossession is one process, then you have an empty house that is put on the market. I have very strong moral opinions but I really can't see any issue with this.

If the Fvcking BBC was genuinely concerned with morals,(which it is not) it would seek to uncover the causes of this fiscal disaster (banks) ......NOT it's effects.

It (BBC) always deals with emotion. Never with hard facts. Guaranteed.

Facts are soooo boring.

When you arrange a mortgage, you sign a contract saying that if you don't keep up repayments, they will take the house. But you did read that bit...

...didn't you? :unsure:

No, you don't.

A contract has

Two signatures.

Consideration.

Full disclosure.

Meeting of minds.

Mortage "contracts" have none of this.