House Price Crash Forum

Scotland To Be Scrapped

Put in front of me a referendum that offer English independence from the Union and I would sign it in a hearbeat.

Scotland can keep those 90% of oil fields that fall within its waters. It can even keep all that infrastructure and military kit the English paid for.

England will need to have much smaller military ambitions in future but I could live with that.

It is my greatest political wish that such a referendum be put forward, after that one for Scottish independence. It would be joyous.

Indeed. We have come full circle. My reply on page 1 of this post asked the question as to why England hadn't already ditched Scotland if it was such a drag on the English economy? Answer that and you and all the other independent-minded souls south of the border will be laughing. ;)

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the A303 was widened through 'Camp Swampy' and the M40 built through those Downs that the hippie pot-smoking brigade was up in arms about, it neither tore up a significant amount of beautiful countryside (a few acres at most) nor ruined the tourist industry. On the contrary, they stimulated economic activity in tourism and other sectors.

Oh, and a correction to your earlier statement:

"In Germany the authorities deliberately rebuilt industry where it had been previously when we rebuilt it for them after the war."

The concreting over of the english cuntryside is one of the main reasons I drive at a steady 70mph from London to Carlisle before taking time to look at the scenery ;)

Guest Skinty
When the A303 was widened through 'Camp Swampy' and the M40 built through those Downs that the hippie pot-smoking brigade was up in arms about, it neither tore up a significant amount of beautiful countryside (a few acres at most) nor ruined the tourist industry. On the contrary, they stimulated economic activity in tourism and other sectors.

There is a big difference between the downs and the far north west of Scotland. But as you have clearly never been there it will be difficult to impress upon you how a six lane motorway with services may spoil the countryside more than an adequate A road.

Oh, and a correction to your earlier statement:

"In Germany the authorities deliberately rebuilt industry where it had been previously when we rebuilt it for them after the war."

My apologies. I was only going by what my German dad told me as he lived and worked in post war Germany first hand when growing up. I bow down to your second hand experience.

The point still stands though about London.

this thread shows the british empire strategy of divide and conquer is still very much alive.

you think your racist ideas and attitudes are your own but you've just been brought up to think that way to keep you all divided.

you have all been conquered.

My apologies. I was only going by what my German dad told me as he lived and worked in post war Germany first hand when growing up. I bow down to your second hand experience.

And I was only going by what my grandfather, a major in the Royal Engineers who helped to clean up Bergen-Belsen before rebuilding bridges, railways and power stations across Germany between 1945-52, told me. While in many ways it was a far-sighted decision to learn the lessons of Versailles and do so, it is still deeply insulting to hear Germans talk of 'their' post-war economic miracle, the vast majority of whose parents and grandparents either played an active part in Nazism or at the very least acquiesced to it. If any of us dared to talk about the legacy of the British Empire in such a positive way, we'd be international pariahs.

I wonder what your German dad (and his parents) did during the war itself? I bet they weren't activists in the Weiße Rose...

Edited by The Ayatollah Bugheri
Guest anorthosite
And I was only going by what my grandfather, a major in the Royal Engineers who helped to clean up Bergen-Belsen before rebuilding bridges, railways and power stations across Germany between 1945-52, told me. While in many ways it was a far-sighted decision to learn the lessons of Versailles and do so, it is still deeply insulting to hear Germans talk of 'their' post-war economic miracle, the vast majority of whose parents and grandparents either played an active part in Nazism or at the very least acquiesced to it. If any of us dared to talk about the legacy of the British Empire in such a positive way, we'd be international pariahs.

I wonder what your German dad (and his parents) did during the war itself? I bet they weren't activists in the Weiße Rose...

Well that was nasty of you. Skinty makes a reference to how she understands the Germans distributed their administration & government after the war and you start asking what her family did in the war?!?

Edited by anorthosite
Hardly eager - a choice between servitude in the Army or poverty...

How is that any different to the choices open to Geordies or Scousers? Here's a golden nugget of info for you. It ain't about English, Irish, Scottish or Welsh it's about rich and poor. Especially about how the poor are manipulated by money, religion and petty national differences to do the bidding of the rich.

So please remove the chip from your shoulder, open your eyes and stop being so bloody naive as to believe all this England vs Scotland crap because we aren't your enemy.

If England are out of Scotland's equation who'll be next? Brussels? Same as the old boss I'm afraid.

Edited by ExecutiveSlaveBox
Guest anorthosite
If England are out of Scotland's equation who'll be next? Brussels? Same as the old boss I'm afraid.

One step at a time.

Although the unionists need to get their story straight. I know many who swear that Scotland would never get into the EU.

Guest Skinty
it is still deeply insulting to hear Germans talk of 'their' post-war economic miracle, the vast majority of whose parents and grandparents either played an active part in Nazism or at the very least acquiesced to it. If any of us dared to talk about the legacy of the British Empire in such a positive way, we'd be international pariahs.

Where did I say that it was 'their' post-war economic miracle? Where did I talk positively about it? I was explaining how Germany centralism was not allowed to take place in Germany after the war unlike in England. And that because this was allowed to happen in England that it has adversely affected the UK as a whole. You are undeniably putting words into my mouth here.

My dad generally soiled his nappies and made baby noises. My grandmother bred like all good hausfraus did back then. My grandfather was a small weedy man who only managed to get by in society because he was a scientist and engineer. He got drafted into the army at the end of the war, managed to walk over a bridge before seeing the person in front of him get blown up and then gave himself up without ever firing a shot.

But they at least lived and experienced post-war Germany after your grandfather went home. My dad is still suffering health problems to this day because of his upbringing.

I am not my grandparents so trying to associate what I am saying with who I am related to so you can detract attention from what you previously claimed about Scotland doesn't help your argument.

Edited by Skinty
Indeed. We have come full circle. My reply on page 1 of this post asked the question as to why England hadn't already ditched Scotland if it was such a drag on the English economy? Answer that and you and all the other independent-minded souls south of the border will be laughing. ;)

Because the Tories cannot be seen to be breaking up the Union and Labour would never win an election again without Scotland and Wales.

Under a Tory government the SNP have their chance, I hope they don't waste it. I would be prepared to go and campaign for the SNP if necessary.

this thread shows the british empire strategy of divide and conquer is still very much alive.

you think your racist ideas and attitudes are your own but you've just been brought up to think that way to keep you all divided.

you have all been conquered.

Nail hit on the head. There are bunch of brain washed believers in feck all on both sides of border. Pandering to nationalism, regionalism etc... is classic divide and rule.

Guest anorthosite
Because the Tories cannot be seen to be breaking up the Union and Labour would never win an election again without Scotland and Wales.

Under a Tory government the SNP have their chance, I hope they don't waste it. I would be prepared to go and campaign for the SNP if necessary.

If you're in England you just have to campaign for the Tories ;)

Guest Skinty
Nail hit on the head. There are bunch of brain washed believers in feck all on both sides of border. Pandering to nationalism, regionalism etc... is classic divide and rule.

So can we assume that you are pro-EU?

I think the UK was a highly successful entity for several hundred years and could be again, it just needs to be given a chance.

it just needs to be given a chance, to?

1) invade

2) enslave

3) steal

4, on) now the good points please......

& BTW:- the one responsible for lighting the touch paper this morning will report to the Rector's office at 9am tomorrow.

& it wont be her first time either :(

it just needs to be given a chance, to?

1) invade

2) enslave

3) steal

4, on) now the good points please......

& BTW:- the one responsible for lighting the touch paper this morning will report to the Rector's office at 9am tomorrow.

& it wont be her first time either :(

Where are you living exactly? Portugal, do me a favour and read a f*cking history book you dip sh1t.

Guest anorthosite
Innovation, great thinkers, the industrial revolution. Some of the finest literature produced in any language. Fantastic architecture etc...

Nice bit of selection bias there, although not the best direction to take an argument in favour of the union given the events of the Scottish Enlightenment.

Guest anorthosite
Have none of you heard of the Irn Bru bomb for gods sake? A terrifying doomsday weapon designed to go off in the event of a military attack on Scotland. It would unleash a wave of ginger coloured death liquid that would make vast swathes of England uninhabitable for generations. Mad fools, all of you.

Its dangerous stuff...

Bitches_preview.jpg

Chick_0.jpg

Goth_preview.jpg

sheep_0.jpg

1544.jpg

irb_bru_inches.jpg

Dick_preview.jpg

Suck_preview.jpg

post-7772-1247151659_thumb.jpg

post-7772-1247151682_thumb.jpg

post-7772-1247151695_thumb.jpg

post-7772-1247151708_thumb.jpg

post-7772-1247151719_thumb.jpg

post-7772-1247151738_thumb.jpg

post-7772-1247151752_thumb.jpg

post-7772-1247151764_thumb.jpg

If Scotland received back-payment for all the oil stolen by Maggie and her successors...

Not sure whether this has been suggested yet by the new Parliament?

Scotland really needs to stand on her own two feet - and this kind of arrangement would definitely help her on her way.

Edited by gruffydd

And I hope Wales follows in Scotland's footsteps - largely for economic reasons. We need Swiss-style tax varying powers, and less of a public sector oriented economy and dependency culture on England (we could start off by charging you a fairer rate for your water :P ).

Edited by gruffydd