House Price Crash Forum

Scotland To Be Scrapped

Laura

HOLA441

Having been fortunate enough to speak my piece on the suggestion the English are effete, I would like to address the cheap slur that the English are louts, contained in:

'Horse piddle. Scottish Identity is very easy to define, esp when on holiday - we just point to drunken, rowdy, fat, loud, obnoxious and invariably shaven headed English neds and say..

"we're not them".'

The most interesting, sought after and valuable contemporary artists are English, Damien Hirst, Tracey Emin and Banksy and Lucian Freud, who like Ernst Chain is Jewish, came to England from Germany to escape Nazi persecution, obtained his education in England and has worked in England for most of his life and even if he isn't English, he is British and he isn't Scottish.

If the English were louts, they would not be producing the best art in the world at the moment.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
If it was so bad, why did you stay so long?

Well, its what we English do, don't you know? Took your women, took some jobs, some property and some cash, now buggered off back up to Town to live the good life on the back of the plunder.

Not sure what my Forbes ancestry would have made of it all; but that's history. Unlike most of scotch mythology.

HOLA446

I live in Preston and with as many as 1 in 10 people who live here are Scottish or Scotts and they preferred to be called. Does it reallty matter if Scotland is independent or not, those that are there have the right to choose as do we all. It time we stopped knocking the Scotts and showed them the respect they deserve.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest Skinty
Hee Hee - the only picture I can see on here mate is you painting yourself as a raving racist loony.

That's the thing that no-one in England gets - Scottish nationalism is not about our relationship with England. Thats the PAST.

Modern Scottish nationalism is about the Scots and our place in the world and in the new European Union.

No offence to the Sassenachs but you're just not important anymore. Sorry. :(

Empire gone... All over.. better learn Arabic and get your foreskin trimmed for Nu-Liebours inevitable future vision for Englands green pastures.

+1

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Government (like Blair, Brown)

Other parliamentary office e.g. speaker (what was that bloke called?)

A Scottish branch of a political party. (like Cameron, Campbell)

A head of a profession e.g. accountancy, law, medicine.

Head of the Scottish Football Association (e.g. like Adam Crozier)

etc etc

Find the best you can. I'm dying to see what we turn up.

How about Jordan as the Scottish entry to eurovision.?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Are you talking about before or after it was blown up and bailed out? If after, how free was it?

I was being facetious. A surprisingly large number of MSPs are English though; don't have time to find out exactly how many at the moment.

If you watch the Scottish news, it often appears that almost everyone important that they speak to is English: heads of police forces, hospitals, universities, museums, .... I think that when it comes to employment there's really no discrimination. Most of these kinds of job are advertised UK-wide and potential applicants from outside Scotland will outnumber locals 10 to 1.

HOLA4413
Perhaps a major sponsorship to an English sportsman ( like a Murray)

Find the best you can. I'm dying to see what we turn up.

Every time I watch a 6 Nations rugby match at Twickenham, there's a big RBS logo in the centre of the pitch. ;)

And as for NatWest cricket...............................

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
How about Jordan as the Scottish entry to eurovision.?

Stand still Jordan

Stand still Jordan

Stand still Jordan

Lord, I can't stand still

I got a mother in heaven

I got a mother in heaven

I got a mother in heaven

When I get up in glory

When I get up in glory

When I get up in glory

Stand still Jordan

Stand still Jordan

Stand still Jordan

Jordan river

Jordan river

Jordan river is chilly and cold

It will chill-a my body

It will chill-a my body

It will chill-a my body, but not my soul

Stand still Jordan

Stand still Jordan

Stand still Jordan

http://www.negrospirituals.com/news-song/s...till_jordan.htm

Sadly I just don't see a bunch of repentant neds being on it ......

HOLA4417

I was brought up in Aberdeen and when I was 14 I wrote a report discussing why Scotland needed to be independent. The reason for my anger was that the British Government had just decided to situate the offices of the new British Oil Corporation in London and not in Aberdeen where all the oil was. When a minister was asked why he gave the response "that it was too important a company to be based in a small place such as Aberdeen".

I now run a company in Glasgow and I am a committed unionist but I understand the real grievances of many of the older generation in Scotland. There is a level of self loathing in Scotland which runs deep and made Trainspotting such a great movie. The Scots may hate the English but we hate ourselves much more.

I passionately believe things are getting better. Our ambassadors such as Chris Hoy and Andy Murray typify everything that is good about the Scots. They are winners, bravehearts, individualists and proud to represent Britain. The youngsters no longer really care about the old Scottish / English rivalry. Business in the UK is very integrated. Our highstreets are full of Tescos, B&Q, Dixons, Costa Coffee, Esportas and Premier Inns. We even now have a Motorway that connects England to Scotland completed in 2008!! Note it was the English side that was 20 years late not the Scottish side.

It is time to let this thread come to an end. Scotland is beautiful, full of natural resources, produces a lot of successful people and is as much part of Britain as London is.

Edited by WATP

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

The one real problem with Scotland is the level of scum. Every country has its bad eggs. We all know that. However from all the places I have been Scotland seems positively riddled with scumbags.

As far as sheer numbers of lazy people who have no other interests other than:

1) Fighting

2) Taking drugs

3) Fighting

4) Bevvy

5) Bevvy

6) Bevvy

7) Benefits

8) Never ever ever working

The only places that can rival us must be some African nations. We seem to have a real issue with this element of scum up in Jockland. No idea how to reduce it either. Seems to pass from one generation to the next. With a few exceptions.

Read a report about the % of people of working age in Glasgow on incapacity benefit - think it was something like 25-30%.

Truly staggering. If Scotand could just get rid of a good half million of our population I would possibly be up for Independence. Even though I am a pretty staunch Unionist at present.

We simply are not a large enough country to absorb the time and costs involved in looking after our ever growing scumbag population. IMO.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
The English have "nicknames" for all the other nations - "Jocks", "Paddys", "Taffs". If it's pointed out that it's racist, the answer is "we're being friendly". Really? And what exactly did you call black people to "be friendly"? Do you have any "friendly" names for the Chinese?

I've experienced racism directed towards me in Scotland - ironically, based on the mistaken assumption that I'm English - but I've never heard it being excused as "being friendly" as the English do.

So, what's your point, mate? That we disguise it in hypocracy? Or do you feel so patronised that you assume they are deliberately undermining you, like the bullied kid at school who continues to feel abused by anyone who criticises them?

Almost all these names are diminutives - the core root of which across many cultures is a term of endearment and often infantilisation.

How many of these other countries have nicknames for us?

HOLA4422
Guest X-QUORK
How many of these other countries have nicknames for us?

The Welsh call us something like Sise and the Jocks call us Sassenachs, or more likely Cockney w@nkers.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Guest Skinty
It should be London that becomes the independant state, not Scotland, IMO.

I am sure that I saw in the BBC focus magazine once that the entire ecological footprint of London was the size of the UK ...

Never been able to find an online link to that though or quite how they worked that out.

HOLA4425
Have you read my post? My point is that you don't have to use these nicknames for people based on where they come from. It happens here as well, and I abhor it. How about learning that person's name and using that rather than relying on your prejudices?

Oh - right enough matey. Do we have to do that for shortarses and lanky gits too? How about spotty teenage irks? Or knuckledragger neanderthal thugs? How about chinless wonders?