House Price Crash Forum

Scotland To Be Scrapped

How much Scottish stuff would have found its way out into the world without the English language. What is the market for products in Gaelic, Scotch, or whatever other half-arsed dialect you might choose to shift your stuff in.

English was spoken in part of Scotland as far back as the dark ages. The Scots had adopted English as the language of commerce way before the Act of Union. Or Inglis as they preferred to call it, so as not to upset local sensibilities.

Don't forget that SE Scotland - Lothian - was colonized by a tribe of German (Anglo-Saxon - English) Angles well over a thousand years ago - soon after the battle of Catraeth (c 600 AD). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Catterick

I'll never forget an old guy in Ceredigion who said to me one day "Those English certainly gave us a drubbing in Catterick" as though it had happended yesterday. :lol: - Y Gododdin - a poem about that battle - is one of the earliest written Welsh poems.

Gaelic was definitely a crucially important language of commerce prior to the wholesale colonisation of Ireland, and the destruction of the language there.

Edited by gruffydd
  • Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"irish do not make up any part of the British army and are not British troops."

Irish Guards.

Royal Irish Regiment.

And I bet there will be some Irishmen serving with the Marines and Parachute regiment not to mention other non-geographic specific units like the REME, The Royal Army Medical Corps and the RAF Regiment.

The British army will accept applicants from the republic so in a sense there are irish elements but a handful of blokes from the republic do not allow for 'Irish' to be used along side 'British army'.

The Irish guards, Royal Irish, QRH etc are all vastly made up of soldiers from northern ireland and have few from the republic. The QRH (Queens royal irish hussars and queens own hussars) had more fijians in the regiment than guys from the republic.

Edited by richyc
Talking of Scotland, how about the hundreds of defenceless women and children he massacred on Rathlin Island when their men folk were away... (then seen as a Scottish island - one of the Western Isles - now seen as an Irish island).

Rathlin was the site of an infamous massacre in July 1575, when the Earl of Essex ordered a force to the island, led by Francis Drake and John Norreys. The English killed hundreds of the women and children of Clan MacDonnell, who had taken refuge there.

Maybe the men folk kinda slipped away?

"Talking of Scotland, how about the hundreds of defenceless women and children he massacred on Rathlin Island when their men folk were away... (then seen as a Scottish island - one of the Western Isles - now seen as an Irish island)."

If Drake was involved in any massacre of innocents it is to be deeply regretted. Just like the involvement of Scottish units in the sack of Badajos during the Peninsula war.

A quick internet search seems to say the Royal Highland Fusiliers were in on that gig. They would be wouldn't they? I would be very surprised of the Black Watch weren't and if there weren't other Scotch units too.

A good history is like a good bed sheet.

It will have some stains.

"Talking of Scotland, how about the hundreds of defenceless women and children he massacred on Rathlin Island when their men folk were away... (then seen as a Scottish island - one of the Western Isles - now seen as an Irish island)."

If Drake was involved in any massacre of innocents it is to be deeply regretted. Just like the involvement of Scottish units in the sack of Badajos during the Peninsula war.

A quick internet search seems to say the Royal Highland Fusiliers were in on that gig. They would be wouldn't they? I would be very surprised of the Black Watch weren't and if there weren't other Scotch units too.

A good history is like a good bed sheet.

It will have some stains.

...it would help the thread if you could learn to use the 'quote' button....and 'Scotch' is the whisky while Scots (plural) are the people.....carry on ranting.... <_<

"...it would help the thread if you could learn to use the 'quote' button....and 'Scotch' is the whisky while Scots (plural) are the people.....carry on ranting...."

Nit picking dunce of a pedant.

....your illiterate presentation does not enhance your argument.....as your rant continues.... <_<

Guest anorthosite
"...it would help the thread if you could learn to use the 'quote' button....and 'Scotch' is the whisky while Scots (plural) are the people.....carry on ranting...."

Nit picking dunce of a pedant.

And to think people say the Scots have a chip on their shoulder :lol:

...it would help the thread if you could learn to use the 'quote' button....and 'Scotch' is the whisky while Scots (plural) are the people.....carry on ranting.... <_<

Well, scotch is English, whereas scots is scotch.

It's impressive. Our Scottish brethren have given up on any argument of substance and chosen to restrict themselves to some humourless carping about "quote keys" and spelling.

...put forward an intelligent argument instead of a rant ...and try to use the tools which the Form provides.... <_<

Guest Skinty
It's impressive. Our Scottish brethren have given up on any argument of substance and chosen to restrict themselves to some humourless carping about "quote keys" and spelling.

That's because we recognise when it's no longer a debate but a slanging match prolonged by a troll and that nothing useful will come out of it.

For example I decided to leave the thread when Bardon called me a Jock slag. It actually gets a little embarassing seeing the inadequate and insecure lash out when they feel threatened.

I do fully appreciate though that English 'men' just do not have the same opportunity to be proper men as their brothers do in other countries. It's just rather unpleasant to see this manifest itself as misogyny and xenophobia.

Met a Canadian the other day who claimed their father was 'scotch'. Made me laugh out loud - although that would actually make them as Scottish as skinty on here.

Met a Canadian the other day who claimed their father was 'scotch'. Made me laugh out loud - although that would actually make them as Scottish as skinty on here.

youve got him "taped" I hope.

I get a sense there is larger gap between me and my English brethren than I realised...

Perhaps a name change to 'ill-educated-ned' is in order? :P

I moved to Scotland in the early 90s just after Braveheart came out, which was bad timing really. It came as a rather nasty shock to be honest with you. I'd never considered there was any divide and then I discovered not only was I guilty (and held to be liable still) for various genocides and programmes of ethnic cleansing, I had apparently spent most of my spare evenings back in England mulling over how to bring Scotland down, how to steal from it, how to oppress its people and all that stuff. The truth was, at that time, if English people thought about Scotland at all it was when thinking about holiday destinations. If that.

Clearly if I was anti-Scottish I'd never have gone there in the first place but this didn't seem to be enough. Coming from a northern industrial town I was also surprised to discover I'd been hand in glove with the Thatcher government, presumably the riots we had were in support rather than opposition.

I think what has happened since the Nats. got their parliament is that their message finally 'got out' and people in England were as horrified as I was in person 15 years ago to discover just how deeply and implacably we are hated by people we thought we were in some sense friends with. I always thought if only English people could read the Daily Record et al., or see various popular personalities spouting hate on the Scotland-only TV programmes (I'm thinking of you here Ally McCoist -- "McCoist & McAuley" in case you were wondering, on the BBC as well -- and surprisingly, Kirsty Wark!) then something would happen.

And now it has sort of happened, a reaction to that is inevitable.

As per usual the more moderate voices are never heard.

Edited by Cogs
Perhaps a name change to 'ill-educated-ned' is in order? :P

I moved to Scotland in the early 90s just after Braveheart came out, which was bad timing really. It came as a rather nasty shock to be honest with you. I'd never considered there was any divide and then I discovered not only was I guilty (and held to be liable still) for various genocides and programmes of ethnic cleansing, I had apparently spent most of my spare evenings back in England mulling over how to bring Scotland down, how to steal from it, how to oppress its people and all that stuff. The truth was, at that time, if English people thought about Scotland at all it was when thinking about holiday destinations. If that.

Clearly if I was anti-Scottish I'd never have gone there in the first place but this didn't seem to be enough. Coming from a northern industrial town I was also surprised to discover I'd been hand in glove with the Thatcher government, presumably the riots we had were in support rather than opposition.

I think what has happened since the Nats. got their parliament is that their message finally 'got out' and people in England were as horrified as I was in person 15 years ago to discover just how deeply and implacably we are hated by people we thought we were in some sense friends with. I always thought if only English people could read the Daily Record et al., or see various popular personalities spouting hate on the Scotland-only TV programmes (I'm thinking of you here Ally McCoist and surprisingly, Kirsty Wark!) then something would happen.

And now it has sort of happened, a reaction to that is inevitable.

As per usual the more moderate voices are never heard.

Agree with that. It's been an eye-opener over the last ten years or so quite how many bitter and twisted anti-English Scots there are.

I used to think of Scots as no different to, say, Yorkshire people. People who had pride in their local identity but as British as somebody from Surrey. So when Scotland played football I was cheering for them. Whereas this Wimbledon I couldn't wait for Murray to lose.

Since they feel that way they can do one and have genuine independence. I now seriously resent the number of Scottish presenters and MPs.

Agree with that. It's been an eye-opener over the last ten years or so quite how many bitter and twisted anti-English Scots there are.

What is bad about it is that it is born of hurt on both sides. They were anti-English because they think "we" hate "them". There are arguments about whether those who subscribed to this were really blaming England for their own shortcomings... I think there is some truth that they were ill-used by the Tory governments but then so were large parts of England. But then we move into bizarre conspiracy theories regarding everything from the time of day football matches were played at to the bloodline of the house of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and I have rather less sympathy.

Our nations are locked in a dysfunctional relationship... but then thats often the outcome of shotgun marriages.

Maybe (and I mean this genuinely) we can get on better if we separate.

Edit: Although I will say this; it was strange how offended some Nats. of my acquaintance actually were by that poll that showed greater support for Scottish independence in England than in Scotland, which makes me wonder if there is an element of 'love to hate' about it and now things have gone a bit further than they intended.

Edited by Cogs
Ditto bits of Glasgow are closer to parts of London than they are to Edinburgh. And the pattern is the same all over Britain. So all the B0ll0x about England vs Scotland is just that...and I still don't see why the Danish economy wouldn't be a good model for an Independent Scotland. If it were to happen. Name me any useful contribution to civlization that the Brits (Engs, Angs, Picts, Scots, Welsh, Dals, Thals, Kaleds, Irish or Womble) before the Romans invaded. While we're at it anyone know any good ways of beating insomnia?

Yes I believe the Roman civilization is what made England great, through and through it kept the civilization.. and after the treaty of union Scotland bloomed like no other. When imo Scotland had that roman civilization as the base of the society.